Page 1 of 2
OK, so hot on the heels of my other project (https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=464869) Im now planning this beauty. For the moment, ill give you the details, some pictures later. Parts are coming in at the end of the week, so ill be starting then.

Body - Alder, Strat Style. Color is blonde.
Neck - Maple, Rosewood F/B, bolt on, 22frets, Color is black, sanded towards natural.
Hardware - Black colored Liscenced Floyd Rose, Locking Nut, black tuners.
Electronics - 1 Volume, 2 Tone, 5way switch, Killswitch.
Pickups - Not sure yet, thinking of EMG HSS config. As long as its HSS, im happy.
Appearance - Blonde sparkle body, Custom made mirror pickguard (With a les paul scratchplate bolted on

Little Extras im thinking of: Possibly built-in compressor/sustainer or noise reduction circuits. A cavity would be routed from the back, for the controls at the front. Also thinking of getting graphite string saddles. Just to make it look a little wierder.

YES, I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE THINKING!!! This is going to be an extremely ****ed up looking guitar. Why not???

Peace out, leave some comments. Pics on saturday.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
Last edited by roast at Mar 13, 2007,
What's so ****ed up with the looks? the only thing that's a bit odd is the les paul pickguard...
The les paul P/G probably won't work, and wont look wierd, it'll look ugly.

But aside fomr that (and the chrome pickguard) it seems you're on your way to Steve Vai's blonde strat!
FR, HSS (black P/G) but he didnt have EMGs
do some wiring mods like series/parrallel and phase switching mods.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Theres a lot of wiring mods going into it, and buzz, those ideas are just the ticket. And the les paul pickguard is only there to make it look wierd, probably wont work, but ill definitly give it a shot!

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
I'd go for the fernandes sustainer.

I always liked phase switches.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Not a bad idea. Any idea of what single coils to use?? I dont want to spend too much on this guitar TBH, so inexpensive but quality pickups are just what i want.
Cheers for the replies!

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Any idea on these pickups?
I got some parts today for this guitar...floyd rose, locking nut, neck etc. Basically, i bought an old Samick guitar, and took a few parts off. Didnt get around to doin much with it, i doubt ill get any more work done until after this week, due to exams.

But anyway, ill post up a couple pics of a mock-up of the guitar, and the various parts i got.

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Any idea on these pickups?
I got some parts today for this guitar...floyd rose, locking nut, neck etc. Basically, i bought an old Samick guitar, and took a few parts off. Didnt get around to doin much with it, i doubt ill get any more work done until after this week, due to exams.

But anyway, ill post up a couple pics of a mock-up of the guitar, and the various parts i got.

BTW, a Samick bridge humbucker came with the guitar, im thinking of just popping that into the bridge on the Hybrid Strat. What singlecoils can i get that arent too expensive??

Cheers.

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
get'em at the clearance section of guitarfetish.com
they're like what? $15 for a set of three?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Are they any good though?
Hmm, i think ill just leave pickup choice until i have everythin else done.

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Complications. Okay, is there a different scale length for 24 fret necks? The neck that was origionally on the strat had 22 frets, but the only neck i could get was a 24. Am i going to have to move the position of the bridge?

Bridge problems. What i have in mind is aligning the 6 holes on the floyd rose (which screw the string saddles to the bridge) along to the holes drilled on the body (6 holes, which fixed the origional strat bridge to the body).

Whichever happens, im going to have to rout out the bridge cavity on the body a little more, and create a recess.

Can anyone help me?? Cheers.

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Quote by ECistheBest
get'em at the clearance section of guitarfetish.com
they're like what? $15 for a set of three?

Mine are great. They really changed my sound. They also clean up rather well. Go for the overwound set, but TBH i'd like to see a build including lipstick tubes and some soundclips.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by roast
Complications. Okay, is there a different scale length for 24 fret necks? The neck that was origionally on the strat had 22 frets, but the only neck i could get was a 24. Am i going to have to move the position of the bridge?

Bridge problems. What i have in mind is aligning the 6 holes on the floyd rose (which screw the string saddles to the bridge) along to the holes drilled on the body (6 holes, which fixed the origional strat bridge to the body).

Whichever happens, im going to have to rout out the bridge cavity on the body a little more, and create a recess.

Can anyone help me?? Cheers.

The scale length is not dependant on the number of frets. A 24 fret neck will not intonate on a start without modification. Imo just get the right neck.
Quote by dave293
The scale length is not dependant on the number of frets. A 24 fret neck will not intonate on a start without modification. Imo just get the right neck.

Eh......no.

Thats the neck im gonna use. Ill make modifications if i have to, i just need to know what mods i have to do.

As for sketches, ill post some pictures of the parts and do a mock-up tomorrow. Remember, this is gonna be a cheap ass strat, and im gonna use the parts i have and buy as little extra as possible.

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
The mods your going to have to make to get that to intonate are pretty extensive. If you nove the neck pocket closer to the bridge you wil have to do some reshaping of the body or it will look terrible. If you move the bridge back you'll have to fill and reroute the trem cavity and pickup routes.

Much, much, MUCH easier to get a neck that will fit in the first place.
Last edited by dave293 at Mar 12, 2007,
or how about i chop a little off the neck heel? So the fretboard hangs off a little? Seems a lot easier to me, would that work?

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Few mock up pictures of the strat. Nothings bolted on yet, but this is basically what its gonna look like.

Has anyone got any ideas on shaving the neck heel back??

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
What problems would occur??

As said in the first post, im gettn a mirror pickguard. But unfortunatly i dont have it yet, so it aint in the pics, sorry.

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Quote by roast
or how about i chop a little off the neck heel? So the fretboard hangs off a little? Seems a lot easier to me, would that work?

Tbh i can see that looking pretty bad, also if you do that forget about a neck pickup.
Shit, what i actually mean is shaving the heel on the neck, not the body. Sorry.

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
This is the idea i mean. Check the attached picture.

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
It might work. The screws will probably still be off.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
I know what you meant, the overhang will have to extend to where the neck pick is, you wont have room. You would also have to do some reshaping of the body and it will still look wierd. Do the measurements and see.

I still recommend getting the right neck, much better option.
Im not getting a new neck, this is what i have, and its whats gonna be used, whatever happens. If it works, it works, if it dosent, it dosent.

Im gonna try shave the neck heel, and if the screw holes are off, then ill fill the holes on the neck heel and make new ones. Might not be as strong, but its worth a shot.

The neck is cracked right at the 24th fret (just the fretboard) so if the f/board is too long and extends over the neck pup, then im gonna tear off one or two frets, sand down the break, and make it look nice

Its worth a shot, whatever happens, im not gonna alter the body, it looks too nice.

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
What scale length was the body designed for, and what scale length is the neck..?

Find out. To measure the scale length of the neck, measure from the nut to the 12th fret and double it.

When the neck goes in there, and if the scale length from the nut to the bridge is the same as the neck's scale, you'd be okay, I guess.
Tell me something i dont know...lol, j/k

I know how to find scale lengths. And what scale length it should be, thanks though.

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Turns out the scale lengths between the origional 21fret neck is exactly the same as the scale length on the 24fret samick neck.....???

Does this mean i dont have to shave anything off? I thought that scale lengths between 21 and 24 fret necks was different?

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Unfortunatly, it turns out i have to shave it. Lol, the neck heel is too thick to fit in the pocket.
Lucky im usin the floyd rose that came off the guitar the neck came off, or else i might have some real problems with string alignment. Meh.

BTW, thanks for all the help so far Forsaknazrael, much appreciated.

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
How are the bottleneck slides workin out? Business good?

Jus gonna take a few pics of the other parts i got, n stick em up.

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
They look pretty good to me, i have a steel slide, dont play it much though. Glass sounds different, yes?

(Little off topic....ah well, its all good.)

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
I guess so. I just picked up my slide, and learned a fair bit of Freebird in about 10 minutes. But it just aint my thing, i guess.

Currently masturbating my guitar neck with sandpaper tryin to make it thinner. Not nice.

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Page 1 of 2