I have a B-52 AT-100 head. One of my power tubes (6L6, 1 of 4) is about to die. Well, I'm going to go ahead and throw in some new preamp tubes. The ones I have now have great gain and sound nice and crisp, but they have too much hiss for me. Now, I'm looking at either the Electro-Harmonix 12AX7's or the Tung-Sol's. I know the Tung Sol's have the best as far as hissing, popping, crackling, ect, but as far as tone and gain go I don't know how they compare. So in terms of tone how do the two sound? Thanks.
The Tung-Sol is one of the highest gain 12AX7s there is. So don't worry about losing gain going with them (a high gain JJ is about the same gain wise).

They also have the most well rounded sound, and are amazing with microphonics and popping and hissing.

You can't go wrong with Tungsols, but I'd suggest mixing and matching. I have TungSols in V1-3 and JJ's in 4 and 5.

EH's are simply average quality and sounding 12AX7's. Get the Tungsols.

BTW..don't expect to tone down preamp hiss that much by switching tubes. Your going to have to buy a noise reducing pedal at some point. You probably won't even notice a difference hiss wise.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Alright, I figured I should try the Tung Sols. Now a curious question. How does the gain from the Tung Sols compare to the 12AX7B tubes I have now?
Quote by Sixty7Coronet
Alright, I figured I should try the Tung Sols. Now a curious question. How does the gain from the Tung Sols compare to the 12AX7B tubes I have now?

I assume you have sovteks.

In which case, the tung sols will have more gain.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals