I'm not really asking a question here, I just wanted to hip everybody to Jaco's second (and MUCH lesser known) solo album, Word of Mouth.

I think it's a fantastic album, and is totally different from the first while still remaining identifiably Jaco. He has many songs with orchistration, and quite a few with a harmonica playing lead.

At one point in the album, the songs Chromatic Fantasy, Blackbird and Word of Mouth blend seemlessly as if they were one song, which is especially impressive, considering the songs are totally different.

Chromatic Fantasy is a Bach piece. Jaco plays every instrument's part on his bass all at once. It's a total shredfest. Half way through, it becomes this strange jungle song before going right into Blackbird.

Blackbird is the Beatles song, sped up, with bass and harmonica doing all the parts. Jaco even sings a bit on that song.

If you've ever wanted to hear Jaco just rock out, check out the track Word of Mouth. He cranks the distortion and lets it rip.

Anyway, if any n00bs or metal cats want to get their minds blown, check out this album (and if you haven't his first, get that too; you can get them for about $20 as a pair on Amazon).

(BTW, this album without it's opening track Crisis, can be heard in order on Jaco's compilation Punk Jazz).

Anyway, I thought I'd share that with you.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
if we'll have a thread for any great album this place would be ruined.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Yeah, it would, but it's a rather unknown album from a very famous guy. Most people are obsessed with the Donna Lee/PoT/Continuum stuff, but I think this album is the real deal.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Word of mouth was the first album i owned by jaco, and probably my favorite of his. Chromatic Fantasy, Blackbird and Word of Mouth are real masterpieces.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

Word of Mouth is an awesome album, and although you've already mentioned them, the arrangements/interpretations of Chromatic Fantasy and Blackbird are absolutely fantastic.

However, when it comes to Jaco I prefer the work he did with Weather Report on Heavy Weather, and the stuff he did with Joni Mitchell on Heijira. In my personal opinion, his best piece of work is the bassline to Coyote.
Its High Time For A Walk On The Real Side, Lets Admit The Bastard's Beat Us!
Personally, I prefered the work he did with Pat Metheny on Bright Size Life.

Everything else mentioned here is amazing too, I just prefer what Jaco and Metheny did together.

Didn't they work together with Joni Mitchell on Heijira?
My Profile

http://www.kerozenband.com

Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jesusgonewrong or me to join.

Gear:
Ibanez SR506
Fender MIM Jazz Bass Deluxe Active
Yorkville XM200
i haven't heard that album at all yet but i kinda want to check it out now.
Dinobot clone of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Member #6 of the Geddy Lee fan club - pm RIC4003 to join.
UG spartan number 180
Indeed, Jaco and Pat did work together with Joni on Heijira.

I was never a big fan of Bright Size Life. For me, it drowned in musicianship - there was clearly a large amount of talent, but it just didn't seem to have the same verve that made me enjoy Weather Report.
Its High Time For A Walk On The Real Side, Lets Admit The Bastard's Beat Us!
I love this album because it was JACO. Sure, he had the big band on every other track, but who else could have written John & Mary other than Jaco? For me, that album was Jaco at the top of his game... it was literally finished months before his various collapses.
Quote by Cody_Grey102