Hey guys, I'm using the Engl Screamer 50 combo, and I was wondering what you'd advise me to get when I swap the tubes. What would you suggest? Anyone else using one?

Cheers,
Jim
There's a thread about tubes in the Gear and Accessories forum, you could try looking there. It should help you
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
I'm still using the original tubes in my Powerball.

If I were to retube I'd probably go with mesa power tubes and assorted preamp tubes. I'd probably have to mix and match to find the ones which I liked the most.
Not really.

The closest "Metal" tone you're going to get is on its 4th channel with its gain cranked.

If you want a Metal tone you'd be better off getting a different ENGL.
i'm still on original tubes too.

+1 on the screamer, genocide- it's kind of an all-round amp that'll do metal, if you play a little of everything, I wouldn't really buy one if I only played (modern) metal.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hmm I dissagree about playing "metalcore" on the screamer.

I use mine to play modern metal more than anything else (Guitar > Amp... No extra distortion) And I think it's great. I couldn't see me wanting more gain to be honest.
^Can you get really good metal sounds out of it while having good cleans seeing as its one EQ for both channels?
Yeah my current eq settings are quite flat actually Bass around 1oclock Middle just over 1oclock and treble just under 12.

You also have the lead presence control which I have around 1oclock. Works great for me. I'll try get some clips if you like.
Quote by drjimuk
Hmm I dissagree about playing "metalcore" on the screamer.

I use mine to play modern metal more than anything else (Guitar > Amp... No extra distortion) And I think it's great. I couldn't see me wanting more gain to be honest.

Just because it does it doesn't mean it does it well.

I'd rather have extra headroom in the gain department than have to have it maxed...

When you stack it up to another high gain amp it doesn't really compare. Its got it, but it just doesn't transcend to the next teir of gain where all the big boys come out to play.

I've always had the opinion that while its possible that if you're looking for a truly good Metal tone you should look elsewhere for it. The Screamer can do it, but it can't do it as well as nearly every other ENGL out there (and many other amps) can.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
When you stack it up to another high gain amp it doesn't really compare. Its got it, but it just doesn't transcend to the next teir of gain where all the big boys come out to play..

true, but then because of hidding behind so much gain you lose clarity and just sounds plain shit.. (Well most amps with a few to the exception)

As I was told the screamer is a great all round amp, can do most genres easily!
Quote by False_God
true, but then because of hidding behind so much gain you lose clarity and just sounds plain shit.. (Well most amps with a few to the exception)

As I was told the screamer is a great all round amp, can do most genres easily!

Not true at all. ENGL are some of the clearest amplifiers out there. Its hard to "Hide" behind a Powerball, which is one of the reasons I chose to buy one. It makes me strive to become a cleaner player because when I DO play through it you can hear all of my mistakes.

Even then, you don't HAVE to turn the gain up all the way. Most amps only have problems like that when the gain is turned way up. I only have to have my gain on 1/3-ish with my ENGL to get the tone I use for my bands (both are death metal)
Quote by drjimuk
I'll have a go at some stuff tomorrow. I'm no expert on those genres but i'll do my best.

That's cool. I'd like to hear anything you're comfortable with. Gear clips make the world go round and its always nice to have more on the internet.
In the mean time, anyone know roughly how much i'd have to pay for a flightcase to fit it and where the best place to get it from is?

New band's hopefully gigging soon