Okay so I've been playing guitar for 8 months now and I was thinkin its about time to upgrade from my beginner Dean Playmate and I would like some suggestions. There is no set price range but nothing extreme and I would like a guitar that is great for playing punk rock and classic rock.
This is a monument to our everything before forever comes crashing. - Converge
try looking in a used guitar store cause you can get a better guitar for less than a new one
Guitars:
Ibanez IC300
Fender American Strat w/RioGrande texas specials

Amps:
Fender FM212R
a now broken tube amp

Quote by Gofishus
Dual Core. Do More. <-- Intel branded women.

Member of the Stevie Ray Vaughan Fan Club
^ that's true. But are you any good? not to be ignorant, but you don't want to spend money on something you're not going to use. But if so, a Epi Les paul would be nice
lol I would like to think I'm good I can play some basic stuff from Blink-182 and New Found Glory but nothing really amazing like high solo's. And what's the difference between an Epi LP and a Gibson LP and Gibson SG to a Epi SG my friends all say Gibson is 10 times better than Epi but I think they have a little bias towards the brand.
biggest difference = price

i hear form a lot of people that own epis that they are just as good as gibsons, then again idk if they have ever played a gibson either. but as i said, price is biggest difference. a cheap gibson les paul is $1000 and a cheap epi les paul is $400. Unless $1000 will end up in your price range, if you wanna les paul, get the epi
well i would say a hss strat. great versatility, or an Epiphone Les Paul, but what amp will you be using?
I am using a Crate GT15w amp. on another note whats the differences between the sound i can get from humbuckers and single coils. thanks for all the help!
single coils are a little twangier, and humbuckers are a little chunkier.
ya, there are alot of punk bands out there, some play with humbuckers some with coils, i would say an HSS Standard strat so you could play both, and a new amp would also be a good idea in investing in
yeah, once you get ur guitar, save up for a new amp. not insulting ur current amp, my friend has it and it's decent for it's price, but if you're playing with other people, i suggest u get a new amp as soon as u can.
Yup Humbuckers crunchier and thick, while single coils will be a more twangy and trebley. They will also be noisier.

Both will work well, I think you could look into the epiphones Gibsons are better, they
re very well mafe high quality guitars. But after 8 months of playing you don't want ot drop so much on a guitar. I own an Epiphone myself and they're great guitars on there own.

Others reccommended strats so I would look into those and I think you'd like the
Epi. G-400.

Edit: I also agree a new amp will do alot for you, you can play with others and your sounds will significantly improve. So it would be something to look into ASAP.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Mar 1, 2007,
I have a Epiphone Les Paul, I find them excellent guitars. I played I wide range, including Fender Strats and Gibsons, and if I could have afforded one of the latter I would have, but there is very little difference between the Gibson and the Epiphone.
Biggest Difference = Price ????? Sorry man.... but not quite. Take a Mexi Strat and put American Hardware (bridge, tuners, pickups)..... and you'll end up with $700.00 with Labor plus the cost of the Knock Off. And even then..... knock off bodies have cheap Lacquer and paint finishes.... so you'll NEVER get Real Strat Tone out of a knock off.....without replacing the Body itself.

Just remember that if you buy a knock-off or "Epi" "Mexi" anything.... it's worth $3 once you take it out of the store. I knew a guy who paid $400.00 for a Jap Strat and took it to Guitar Center here in Atlanta and the Manager offered him $75.00 for it. Not that re-sale value is that big of deal with guitars for most players.... but anyone who tells you an Epi Les Paul or Mexi/Jap Strat....or SE Paul Reed Smith just as good as the real thing obviously doesn't own a Gibson or a Fender.... or just isn't good enough or have the Right Equipment to tell the difference. A fake Strat/Real Strat or Epi LP/Gibson LP played through a CRAP AMP is going to sound like CRAP. But plug the real thing into a nice Tube amp and you'll know exactly what you paid for. There IS a HUGE difference between the lower economy models and the higher priced models..... and it ain't just price. If you're lucky you'll get close to original wood.... but the hardware and electronics are going to SUCK PERIOD. The Fender pickups in the Mexi and Jap Strat are $30.00. The pickups in a good American or Delux are $200.00 And hook into a real Amp and you'll hear the difference.

Used is definately the way to go.... as long as you buy from someone who you can sit down with the guitar and play....with and without an amp. Guitars are meant to be played...... which means they're gonna get messed up..... Looks don't mean sh***t.....but you gotta make sure the essentials of the guitar are in working order.... IE pickups, pots, tuners, ect. ect.

By the time you spend $500.00 on a knock-off..... and if you ever care about good sound..... you'll spend another $300.00 on pickup replacements(unless you can do yourself) ...... $150.00 (Grovers) if you care about it staying in Tune...... you've got almost $1000.00 invested in a guitar with a Cheap Wood body and Cheap wood neck......and it sounds rediculous but the type of Finish on the Top of the guitar, Bridge hardware, Neck Nut, Body Wood, Bridge Saddle, and even Tuners effects the Tone and sustain.....at least in most cases.

Spend the $1000.00 on a used Gibson LP or a Am. Strat. 5 years from now you won't regret it if you still play. And as long as the guitar hasn't been dropped, puked on, dropped out of a car.....ect, ect. you'll get most of your money back if you have to sell it.

If $1000.00 is too high..... look into maybe a Schecter Elite or an Ibanez RG. Either of those guitars will Smoke an EPI or fake strat.

Just my 2 cents worth. Being a guitarist......as opposed to just playing guitar is an Expensive hobby. You'll have $4000.00 invested before you know it. And that's staying away from the really Expensive stuff. But bottom line is

Good Guitar - Crap Amp == Crap Sound
Crap Guitar - Good Amp == Crap Sound
Good Guitar - Good Amp - Crap Pedals == Crap Sound.

You only sound as good as you crappiest piece of equipment.... and that goes for Cables, Mics, Amps, Strings, Pickups, ect. ect...... you get the drift.

Of course this is all assuming you're looking to play somewhere other than your Bedroom eventually and with more than just yourself eventually.

Bedroom volume may not expose sound problems with cheap stuff..... but crank up in front of 200 or 300 people in a club or at a block party and you better Pray that the other guitarist in the band doesn't have a Gibson or Fender ect ect.
96 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
95 Strat w/ Lindy Fralins
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
ya, unless your comparing an epiphone les paul standard to a gibson les paul classic custom, but if your talking a standard vs one of gibsons lower ends, get the epi, you'll be able to make up the tonal difference with a good amp that the money you saved will buy you
Okay thanks for all this basically what i have came away with is that.
Its normal my crap 150$ value pack of gear doesnt sound like my favorite rock bands and that I should invest in a higher end guitar than use left over money to upgrade my amp.
actualy most of your tone comes from your amp so spend more on the amp, how much do you plan to spend for guitar and amp?
Quote by GdayArmstrong
actualy most of your tone comes from your amp so spend more on the amp, how much do you plan to spend for guitar and amp?

Well I have a good 2grand and after all that was said was going to get a nice Gibson LP or something with a 300 dollar amp or something like that.
well if u have 2grand i would say hss Made in america strat and a good half stack or stack. but if you reallly want an lp, just find a dealer in ur area and play around and find one that you like
You could get some used Gibson LP's or look into the Epiphone elitist line (their high end).

I'd also invest more on the amp, they account alot for the tone. Maybe some used JCM 900. I've seen those in your price range.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows