okay so my Friend (harold) was asking me how to play punk music i told him i couldnt really tell you besides power chords and its been agravating me anyone know how yo play punk without the power chords or the "power chords"(e5,a5,d5 ect.)<<thats what i call them
*Guitars*

Fender Standard Strat

Ibanez DT155

Ibanez RG2EX1

*Amps*

Peavey Classic 50

*Effects*

Boss MT2 Metal Zone

Danelectro Fab Chorus

Danelectro Fab Flanger
Start by using punctuation.

Punk is pretty much built off "power chords." Don't try and play punk with open chords on a Gretsch guitar and no distortion.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
Start by using punctuation.

Punk is pretty much built off "power chords." Don't try and play punk with open chords on a Gretsch guitar and no distortion.

well ive told him heavy distortion he has a badd little guitar lol but i mean now i wanna like show him but i dunno how (he thinks im god)
*Guitars*

Fender Standard Strat

Ibanez DT155

Ibanez RG2EX1

*Amps*

Peavey Classic 50

*Effects*

Boss MT2 Metal Zone

Danelectro Fab Chorus

Danelectro Fab Flanger

What about The Clash?

Brandon
First of all, your friend should start out by listening to lots of punk. Trying to explain how to play punk if he doesn't listen to it is like trying to teach a blind person to paint. And yes he can use power chords, but he can also use barre or open chords as well. My favorite punk sounds are all low gain- single coil type tones so he shouldn't feel like he has to use lots of gain and play straight power chords, he could even play acoustic if he wanted. (there are acoustic punk bands)
Some tips:
- Play aggressive and hard
- Play fast
- Use pentatonics or the major scale for fills or solos
- Use open chords and barre chords
- Listen to punk
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...