musiciansfriend.com How much do you want to spend?
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

How much money you want?

Exactly WHAT about your Bass sucks most (in your OPINION)?

Also, where do you live? If you are close enough I want to go over to your house and smack you personally for buying a First Act Bass.
Quote by Fast_Bear
How much money you want?

Also, where do you live? If you are close enough I want to go over to your house and smack you personally for buying a First Act Bass.

Hey, someone has to keep WalMart in business.

To the threadstarter, yes if you are serious you need to upgrade. Not even a good amp will save you now. A price range and the type of music you play would be helpful.

But after we have provide our stellar and completely objective opinions, you do need to take your carcass to your local MUSIC store and try out a few basses.
Come on! Just stick it out unless you're an active live musician you don't need a great sound when you need a better sound or you have outgrown your bass don't get a new one it's stupid. Although if you wan to waste your money that's fine. Because I guarantee if you buy a new one now you'll make a hasty decision and just buy it. I've been deciding what bass to buy for the last year and a half which is how long I've been playing bass. When I finally do buy a bass it'll be the right one. But again it's your money that's just my advice.
Quote by anarkee
Hey, someone has to keep WalMart in business.

To the threadstarter, yes if you are serious you need to upgrade. Not even a good amp will save you now. A price range and the type of music you play would be helpful.

But after we have provide our stellar and completely objective opinions, you do need to take your carcass to your local MUSIC store and try out a few basses.

Lol, but yeah if you're serious about ur playing, go check out some basses at a music store TODAY.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Come on! Just stick it out unless you're an active live musician you don't need a great sound when you need a better sound or you have outgrown your bass don't get a new one it's stupid. Although if you wan to waste your money that's fine. Because I guarantee if you buy a new one now you'll make a hasty decision and just buy it. I've been deciding what bass to buy for the last year and a half which is how long I've been playing bass. When I finally do buy a bass it'll be the right one. But again it's your money that's just my advice.

Ok jazz_rock, normally I would say wait, but the First Acts are horrible, at least the two I have seen students drag into the studio. They are worse than the old low end Harmony student guitars I started out on. Poorly made and sound tinny and muddy at the same time. Really low end electronics and poor construction. Defines the term "cheap".
Quote by anarkee
Ok jazz_rock, normally I would say wait, but the First Acts are horrible, at least the two I have seen students drag into the studio. They are worse than the old low end Harmony student guitars I started out on. Poorly made and sound tinny and muddy at the same time. Really low end electronics and poor construction. Defines the term "cheap".

Which I find is really sad, coming from a company like first act, where their custom shop (real first acts) go for upwards of $4000. 'Tis a shame.
Quote by elemenohpee
Which I find is really sad, coming from a company like first act, where their custom shop (real first acts) go for upwards of $4000. 'Tis a shame.

Its really odd, there is no middle ground with them--it seems schizophrenic from a guitar maker standpoint.
A lot of kids get scared off from playing music because they just can't get the technique down. A lot of that has to do with the playability and sound of the instrument. I suggest you should get something more decent if even you, as a beginner, can tell it's horrible.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by anarkee

Ok I've never played one but what I said is true in most cases. I guess just not in this one. And actually my Wal-Mart caries Silvertone packs odd...
Quote by Fast_Bear
How much money you want?

got it for x-mas
first act is ridiculous they make the uber good guitars or low end toy guitars.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Im surprised nobody has asked

How long have you been playin first off, if your not experiened enough dont go spend a whole bunch of money and not know hat to do with it
I wouldn't agree. You can spend a whole bunch of money, but if it's good, you can always sell it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by benttwig33
Im surprised nobody has asked

How long have you been playin first off, if your not experiened enough dont go spend a whole bunch of money and not know hat to do with it

Ok, I think even for a beginner, he needs a better starter bass. The low end First Acts are bad enough to be a hindrance for getting better. One of the students I talked about above improved significantly when he moved from a first act to a Squier starter bass. Normally, I would agree with you all,--hold off, but this is the one exception to the rule. ( Unless Harmony has started making student basses that is! )

I don't think this is a case of G.A.S here, but a real concern and need for an upgrade.
When people are recommending you 'upgrade' to Squier than you must have a really shitty bass! However, if you do stick with it for a while so you can play a bit of stuff quite well on it, you should find you can play the same stuff really well when you upgrade to a better bass.
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
Quote by Cecil Gonzales
When people are recommending you 'upgrade' to Squier than you must have a really shitty bass!

You should just stick with it for a while, having to learn on a crappy bass will allow you to appreciate good basses.