at the moment i have a vox ad50vt that i am sick of because of the lack of definition on the distortion models and in general they suck. if i want to play mainly music from bands like aerosmith, red hot chili peppers, jet, led zeppelin, the white stripes, etc, what tube combo would be best for me? i could spend between 400 and 500 dollars. thanks a lot for any advice
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
Before you buy a new amp, you could try replacing the preamp valve. People have been loving the definition they've been getting just from doing that. Could be an option.
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.
check out fender and traynor for great cleans
the peavey classic is another one that is pretty good
if you dont mind me asking, is your username a reference to the radio station or do you have no idea what im talking about?
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
id just rather have a tube amp, the sound in general would be better with just a tube amp then if i bought a new preamp tube. btw i have a fender strat if that helps
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Quote by RHCPfan01
if you dont mind me asking, is your username a reference to the radio station or do you have no idea what im talking about?

theres a band named the rock n roll soldiers
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Quote by RHCPfan01

+1. good selection there.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The only Tube Amp $500.00 is going to get you is probably the Peavey Classic 30 or the Crate V series.....maybe a used Fender. But based on the style of music you are wanting to play stay away from the Fenders. But if you're looking at Led Zepplin, JET, ect. ect..... you gotta save some dough and get a Marshall. Or look for a used Vox AC15 Combo. And spend a few bucks on a nice OD pedal like a Tubesreamer or something to get that extra uhmph out of something other than Marshall.

Bottom line is save your money and spend a month or 2 getting better at the material you want to play. Then spend more on the amp in the end.
96 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
95 Strat w/ Lindy Fralins
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
^what kind of marshall?
Lunatics on pogo sticks
anyone else?
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Well the best for Zeppelin is a Plexi, but yeah. You could look for a 18w plexi, also the 18w plexi clones are highly regarded on HC. Ceriatone.com for those. He could have been refering to a JCM800 or 2000, but not 100% sure.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Joe Perry Boneyard (BKP Black Dogs)
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Supro Thunderbolt!
anything that i could get for around 500 bucks?
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Um, im quite sure you could get a 18w Ceriatone plexi for around 500. Ceriatone.com Email Nic with any questions, unmatched customer support.
Gear:
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Supro Thunderbolt!
anything else besides a marshall? those are just too expensive for me
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Seriously, look at a 18w Marshall clone dude.
Gear:
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Supro Thunderbolt!
18w isnt much at all...
Lunatics on pogo sticks
It is when it's a valve amp. Solid state equivalent is around 40-50 watts and a solid state won't sound better and better the louder it goes, a valve amp will.
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.
Dude. 18w tube is enough to play with a drummer, i have played the Ceriatone 18w clone, and you could do a small gig with it, PLUS you can get a head version, and get a cab, and then it is really enough, not to mention you can just mic it. Not to mention tube amps are MUCH louder than SS/hybrid.
Gear:
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Supro Thunderbolt!
any other opinions?
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Quote by JasonUGA311
The only Tube Amp $500.00 is going to get you is probably the Peavey Classic 30 or the Crate V series.....maybe a used Fender. But based on the style of music you are wanting to play stay away from the Fenders. But if you're looking at Led Zepplin, JET, ect. ect..... you gotta save some dough and get a Marshall. Or look for a used Vox AC15 Combo. And spend a few bucks on a nice OD pedal like a Tubesreamer or something to get that extra uhmph out of something other than Marshall.

Bottom line is save your money and spend a month or 2 getting better at the material you want to play. Then spend more on the amp in the end.

Or a Crate Palomino. Which is pretty much a better version of the V-series.
They have great cleans, and amazing crunch. Led Zep would be no problem.
if i got a peavey classic 30 and something like a ds-1 or ds-2, would i be able to get a decent classic rock tone?
Lunatics on pogo sticks
if you could go used, you could look for a vintage Fender blackface 50W Bassman off eBay, I've seen many go for under $500. You would need a cab however, so that bumps the cost. I've heard them get some great tones cranked with an OD. Have to consider what the first Marshalls were based off of.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
(to threadstarter)You can probably do classic rock with a Classic 30, but if you have to have a pedal, don't use a distortion pedal. Use an OD. Maybe a tubescreamer or something of that nature. Look at Maxon and Ibanez. If you are REALLY on a strict budget, look at the Digitech Bad Monkey. It's a nice pedal for the cash.

But yeah, i agree with the Peavey classic suggestion.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
The classic 30 would be good.
Gear:
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Supro Thunderbolt!
get a fender hot rod deluxe. Daddy Junky Music sells them for $400 used. It would definitely be your best option, cost and tone-wise (exluding $2000+ marshalls)
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Quote by rnrsoldier1461
if i got a peavey classic 30 and something like a ds-1 or ds-2, would i be able to get a decent classic rock tone?

i doubt you'd even need the pedals.

Quote by HeartInACage
get a fender hot rod deluxe. Daddy Junky Music sells them for $400 used. It would definitely be your best option, cost and tone-wise (exluding $2000+ marshalls)

are you seriously suggesting that the only good amps are $400 fender HRD's, and then there's nothing until $2000 marshalls?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i doubt you'd even need the pedals.

are you seriously suggesting that the only good amps are $400 fender HRD's, and then there's nothing until $2000 marshalls?

actually they're $600 new and they're better than Crates, and Peaveys. And while Traynors come close to Fender cleans they still don't quite have it...at least for me. They don't have the greatest overdrive but its decent. You can get a tubescreamer or something to use over the clean channel and that will fix your problems. Cheaper than most Traynors too.
Quote by thebrewfan
actually they're $600 new and they're better than Crates, and Peaveys. And while Traynors come close to Fender cleans they still don't quite have it...at least for me. They don't have the greatest overdrive but its decent. You can get a tubescreamer or something to use over the clean channel and that will fix your problems. Cheaper than most Traynors too.

Basically what I got out of that is, the Fender has cleans that blow the other amps out of the water, but thats it, maybe hes not looking for all clean
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Quote by thebrewfan

see, that's the problem. maybe he's not after cleans. granted, if cleans are your only concern, for about $400 you won't get much better than a fender. But their overdrive is horrible (at least the pre-amp stuff).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
dude, check out something used, and check out other threads. Tons of info
And so I killed the guy and the police are still lookin for me!
If you want more than 15/18 watts tube for $500 it probably not gonna be great.
Unless you go used, which i would advise.
The Stuff!