I always use a metronome when Im practicing. Thing is recently I have hit 160 bpm practicing sweeps at 16th notes and then I move up to 168, 170 then 172. At 172 bpm sweeping 16ths, I still play cleanly but its laboured and its forced, so do I practice at 172 bpm or do I stay at 170 bpm then move up once I feel I can play at 170 in my sleep. I moved up quickly the past 6 months of practicing and this is the first "snag" I have hit with a metronome.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Yeah, you could keep playing at 170bpm until you have it 100% perfect, then move up, or you could keep playing at 172 until you finally gte it down, or, you could practice at 174 (or whatever's after 172), and try at that for a while, then, move back down to 172, and it should seem easier.

Theres a few methods man.
Quote by duggyrocks
Yeah, you could keep playing at 170bpm until you have it 100% perfect, then move up, or you could keep playing at 172 until you finally gte it down, or, you could practice at 174 (or whatever's after 172), and try at that for a while, then, move back down to 172, and it should seem easier.

Theres a few methods man.

Digital metronomes ftw... Can set it 1 2 4 8 10 20 beats a time... Methinks sticking to 170 would be the best option. If I cant get 172 100% then I need to get 170 100% to get the next one up almost as good.

Thanks.
^ guitardude is right, you need to be able to play the speed 100% cleanly (no ones perfect, everyone flubs a note now and again, unless your name is paul gilbert) but you should be able to do it extremely cleanly and accurately at your current speed before you move up. methinks that if 2 bpm is causing you to mess up you may not be playing accurately at the current speed and may need to move down a little (although i could be wrong but 2 bpm from my current speed has never messed me up)
Quote by z4twenny
^ guitardude is right, you need to be able to play the speed 100% cleanly (no ones perfect, everyone flubs a note now and again, unless your name is paul gilbert) but you should be able to do it extremely cleanly and accurately at your current speed before you move up. methinks that if 2 bpm is causing you to mess up you may not be playing accurately at the current speed and may need to move down a little (although i could be wrong but 2 bpm from my current speed has never messed me up)

Its not that it messes me up as such, its just that Im chasing the beat instead of actually playing to the beat so its forced and feels un natural. I think I may have got a bit arrogant with the old metronome and its starting to bite back. I am surprise that 2 bpm can do that, but as you say I may need to move down a bit more.. Might start at 160, got 162, 166, 168 then stay 170 till its perfect.. or as perfect as can be.