Thinking of pimping my bass out with a tremolo, but I only really want to try it out, so I'm not looking at paying in the hundreds.

Hipshot ones are the cheapest I found, but still a little out of my price range, especially since i live in Aus : Here they're cheaper than official site!

Kahler ones look good, but way way too pricey for me: http://www.kahlerusa.com/home.html

Anyone found any others?
I've been looking and all I can find is bass guitars with tremolo on them. I guess you could buy them and transfer that bridge to your bass, but that almost seems like it's not worth it to me.
With bass whammy bars, you have to go all the way or don't go at all. Cheap tremolos won't hold tune and are just unpleasant in general.

If you only want to "try it" then I suggest you invest in a Whammy pedal and use the divebomb feature.

If you are, in fact, quite serious about wanting a tremolo, don't cheap out. The Kahler bridge is by far the better of the two main tremolos (the Hipshot being the other), but the Hipshot bridge is decent if you don't want to spend the money on a Kahler.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
From what I understand, those are the only two tremolo makers for bass. You forgot to factor in one VERY important thing: installation.

With the Hipshot tremolo, you actually have to bore a hole in your bass a la Stratocaster in order to get the tremolo to operate. With the Kahler, "all" you have to do is do some routing on the top of your bass. In either case, you're sigificantly modifying your bass, and it's a permanent change. I can't imagine that would go cheap.

If you want some free tremolo, do a neck bend a la Billy Sheehan. One of his reasons he doesn't play a 5-stringer is because he can hit a low B easily with a D-Tuner and a big neck bend.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Cool thnks for the info. I'm repainting my first bass and I'm getting the impression it's going to look really crap. So i thought it would be my "experimental" bass, thats the reason for the cheapy tremolo. But if it looks good i'll probably spend some money on it.

If you want some free tremolo, do a neck bend a la Billy Sheehan. One of his reasons he doesn't play a 5-stringer is because he can hit a low B easily with a D-Tuner and a big neck bend.
Really hard to do while tapping!! Also i get mega fret buzz when i do this, maybe I need to raise the action.

Cheers
No, it's easy. Do two hand tapping, and just lift your left leg over your arm, and press the neck down with your foot. I do it all the time.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Whammy pedal sounds like a nice investment, dude.

Plus, you get great harmonization.
haha
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Whammy pedal sounds like a nice investment, dude.

Plus, you get great harmonization.

Whammy pedal is nothing like a whammy bar.
And it wouldn't work that well for bass.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by Woogles

Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Quote by Woogles

I don't really like to do this.

Yeah, you're a fucking moron.

A WHAMMY pedal does just that, emulate the sounds of a whammy bar.

It doesn't matter if it's guitar or bass, it will still work.
haha
No, it's easy. Do two hand tapping, and just lift your left leg over your arm, and press the neck down with your foot. I do it all the time.
ROFL!!!

Yeh i might get a whammy pedal instead, sounds like a cheaper solution, plus can use it with all my basses.

Here's a pic of my painted bass, looks ok i reckon, so i might get a decent bridge:
(Invalid img)

Do u reckon I should get a Badass 2 bridge for it. And what's the real disadvantage to the cheap ones, they detune your strings quicker / lose tone? I think a chrome/silver bridge and pickplate would look sick.

Getting further off topic i want to get some new pickups as well, but I'll get into that later!!
Attachments:
my bass.JPG
^ that bass is crazy looking. my friend's got a crap bass and i've been wanting to buy it from him and put random stuff on it for a while. if i had a job, i definately would have by now.

p.s.: whammy pedals are way more fun to mess around on than whammy bars. you can go razy high without problems like broken strings.
Dinobot clone of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Member #6 of the Geddy Lee fan club - pm RIC4003 to join.
UG spartan number 180
Wow that bass looks crazy! And yeah, my guitarist uses a whammy and i played with it for a while and its so much fun! If you put distortion before it and turn the gain right up, get some feedback and pitch shift the feedback and you can get some really weird sounds.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Has anyone used that Digitech Whammy IV pedal on the bass? I've read that it sucks ur tone real bad, and its more noticible on the bass. Anyone with any of the other Whammy ones. Can't seem to find that Whammy Bass one on ebay either (its not in production any more).
Any info on good bridges?
The biggest thing on bridges is it's mass. Usually, cheaper bridges are quite light and thin. In order to get some real good sustain and tone, you need a massive bridge (and routing the bass for strings thru body won't hurt either). BadAss II (and the new BadAss III) are quite massive, and the segment that the strings lie on is very thin, so the intonation is spot on. However, some of them don't come with the saddles grooved, so you might have to do that yourself.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I didn't know there was such a thing as bass tremolo, but I assume the thicker ones would be better
Member of the "Shoop Da Woop" club, PM to Join