So, I am planning on getting a new Guitar. I am looking for a Gibson/Epiphone product only. Right now, I am thinking of the Epiphone Les Paul Custom, Epi LP Standard, or a used Gibson Les Paul Studio. I've been looking on Ebay and the Studios are selling for around $500+. (mostly around $500-700). I should have $900 free cash by the end of the year. What do you guys suggest I get out of the 3? I will probably buy off of Ebay since there is always good deals, especially on the Customs.
Get a Schecter. The C-1 Classic is nice, or the C-1 Hellraiser if you like metal. Those 2 are in the $650-700 range if u buy from Guitar Center. Trust me, they are a heck of a lot nicer than epiphones, and I (not saying every1 would) would take one over a Gibson.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser (Black Cherry)
Peavey 6505 Plus Head: 120W all-tube goodness
Peavey 6505 4x12 Slant Cab
Tacoma Somethin-or-other Acoustic (i bought it used)
You should tell us what kind of music you like to play and what amp you currently own to give us a better idea of what kind of sound you're trying to achieve.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
An epiphone les paul standard is a lot better than a gibson studio and alot cheaper
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
Depends on your Music Style, Intentions, and Budget. Those are the 3 questions you have to answer before buying ANYTHING related to guitar other than a rinky dink accessory like a Pick.

Not everyone can afford a Marshall all Valve and a Gibson Les Paul..... not everyone needs one either........that's why you see like 500 Marshall Stacks and Les Pauls for sale on Ebay everyday.......people get the sh*t and realize they can't use it...... it depends on how you're going to use it. Guitars are meant to be PLAYED..... and so looks, glam, fancy design, color.... all that don't really mean sh*t when it comes to a real PLAYERS guitar. If I had to choose a band-mate in a line up..... there's something to be said about a guy holding a guitar that looks like it's got 10,000 hours on it. Look at SRV's #1. F*cked up twice all over. If your gonna play it .....you're gonna drop it, bang it, scratch it, hell..... maybe even puke on it a couple of times.

#1. Once you narrow your budget you'll have your answer. If you can't at least afford $1000.00...... FORGET about Gibson all together. LP Studio, Special, Les Paul JR, Goddess, ect, ect..... you're wasting your money. Classic Plus, Standard, Supreme, and Custom Shop...... now you're talking Gibson.

#2. If you're serious about music.... IE playing in a band....jamming....ect. ect. Stay AWAY from the knock offs.....IE Squire Strat, Mexi Strat, Jap Strat, EPI Les Paul, EPI SG, PRS SE, ect. ect. Those guitars were not made for Guitarists..... they were made for people who can't afford the Real Thing. PERIOD. No offense to the Epi owners and all that but try and take an Epi on the road and gig or practice 3 or 4 times a week and it's gonna CRAP all over the place after 2 years or so. They may look similar..... but that's about where they stop off. The electronics are crap.... the hardware's crap....the Grade of Wood is crap.... and the finish is crap. By finish I mean the Laquer Coating and materials.... which all affect tone whether you realize it or not.

#3. A Schecter Elite is gonna set you back anywhere from $800 to $600 probably..... and it will SMOKE any budget knock off out there. You could use that until you get good enough to throw a group together and gig out some bars or party's..... and make a couple G's in the process and then get your Gibson Les Paul.

Just my 2 cents worth.
96 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
95 Strat w/ Lindy Fralins
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
Epiphone Les Paul Standard.
if they were amps, go used. but not electric guitars.
new ones are sweeter.
and u can hotrod the pickups on standards.
i just don't like studios cuz there are no body bindings.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Well, thanks for the input. But I am not really into Schecters, or any other brand that may be similar or even better in some cases than Epiphone/Gibson. To the guy who wrote the long(but good)message, I do play my guitar very much. I'm not a professional musician or anything of the sort, but I am a 15 year old who plays his guitar 3-5 hours a day in between school and homework and 5+ on weekends. So you can imagine how much I'll play after school. I plan to be in a band soon. I would rather not spend over $700 on a guitar right now. Btw, the Standard I want is the Plain Top. I heard they sound better because they have different wood or something like that, plus I am not really into the flashy guitars. But even if it isn't as good, I will still look into the Studio.
You still haven't told us your musical influences and what you want to sound like, but I'll try to help anyway. I own an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, I never got to try the Plain Top because my local stores never carried them, but I can tell you about the Standard. In terms of playability, the Plain Top and Standard are identical. The high fret access is a stretch at times, if you have long fingers you should be ok, but it takes some getting used to, especially if you learned on strat knockoff electric like me. The pickups on both guitars are the same I believe, and I can tell you they aren't much to boast about. Pretty weak in terms of picking up harmonics, but they're decent for the price you pay for the guitar I guess. You will definitely want to swap them out at some point though, so keep this in mind. As far as sound goes I can't comment on the Plain Top since I haven't tried it, but I can say that my LP delivers a deep, thick tone, due to the heavy body.

My advice: If you get a chance to play both guitars, then choose between them. Don't buy something from the internet just because you've heard that it's good. Les Paul's aren't guitars you can pick up and instantly love the feel of, you're going to need to do some playing in a store, and you may even be shocked at the difference in playability. Bottom line is to play this, and other guitars in it's price range. I bought my LP because I planned to buy an Ibanez in the future, so I would have something nice for rhythm and lead, you don't seem to have plans for a second guitar any time soon, especially since you're 15, and can't have a job. Look at the other guitars in your price range, hell ask the clerk to suggest a guitar similar.

Hope this helps

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
Quote by JasonUGA311

#2. If you're serious about music.... IE playing in a band....jamming....ect. ect. Stay AWAY from the knock offs.....IE Squire Strat, Mexi Strat, Jap Strat, EPI Les Paul, EPI SG, PRS SE, ect. ect. Those guitars were not made for Guitarists..... they were made for people who can't afford the Real Thing. PERIOD. No offense to the Epi owners and all that but try and take an Epi on the road and gig or practice 3 or 4 times a week and it's gonna CRAP all over the place after 2 years or so. They may look similar..... but that's about where they stop off. The electronics are crap.... the hardware's crap....the Grade of Wood is crap.... and the finish is crap. By finish I mean the Laquer Coating and materials.... which all affect tone whether you realize it or not. .

Im pretty sure my mexi strat and i can rip most people up. And i am also unable to find anything wrong with my guitar. i play from 5 to 10 hours a day, everyday. some of us arent rich bastards who can drop a couple grand on a guitar.
Last edited by rixills at Mar 1, 2007,
i think that higher priced epiphones and the mexican strat are really good for the money the cost

american strats and gibsons are !!!way!!! overpriced but nicer of course

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by rixills
Im pretty sure my mexi strat and i can rip most people up. And i am also unable to find anything wrong with my guitar. i play from 5 to 10 hours a day, everyday. some of us arent rich bastards who can drop a couple grand on a guitar.

agreed.