I've been playing guitar and bass for just over a year now, and I know the basics of music theory, but I want to learn more so that i can write music and get into a band. So, where's a good place to start? And what's a good website to learn from (probably this one)? I don't have money to get a teacher, so don't suggest that, please.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
theres some good articles on here about music theory.... i wish one of the gurus was on here, i think they keep a list of good articles to pass out like candy on occassions like this....
Elvenkindje, BGC, Nightwind, JohnLJones, Corwinoid, Psychodelia, I CALL UPON YOU, PLEASE AID THIS THEORY NOOB!!! lets see if they respond....

*waits patiently*
Quote by z4twenny
theres some good articles on here about music theory.... i wish one of the gurus was on here, i think they keep a list of good articles to pass out like candy on occassions like this....
Elvenkindje, BGC, Nightwind, JohnLJones, Corwinoid, Psychodelia, I CALL UPON YOU, PLEASE AID THIS THEORY NOOB!!! lets see if they respond....

*waits patiently*

that's great... i've never even heard of any of those people... oh well, if they can help me, then i don't really care
The morning will come

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Quote by Ascendancy5
Where you start depends on how much you already know.

pretty much just the notes... i've tried looking up some other stuff, but i didn't understand it very well
The morning will come

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Quote by SOADrox429
that's great... i've never even heard of any of those people... oh well, if they can help me, then i don't really care

If you haven't heard of them, you either don't go to MT often or don't pay attention to usernames Two of the names he mentioned are the mods of this forum lol They ooze knowledge.

Anyway, the MT Sticky is a great place to start. And this is a good lesson.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html

EDIT

Well man, it's always a nice place to learn hehe. V
Last edited by kirbyrocknroll at Mar 1, 2007,
yeah, i don't come here very often... mostly because i don't know a lot about music theory and such, so i couldn't really be of too much help
The morning will come

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
i dont trust online info on Theory, maybe im just parnoid or maybe i just cant find good info.. but hell, im goin to college to learn theory so i dont wast my time lookin online.. i just read my books.

and thats what id suggest: getting a book. you may not have money for a teach, but im sure you can fork out $20 to go and get "Music Theory for Dummies" or "Complete Idiots Guide to Theory" (and im not saying your an idiot or complete dummie)

those books should be able to get you to where you can skillfully write music that has some thought out theory behind it, not just "chords that sound good"