You know how some singers in scream bands kill their voices after a while...I was wondering, what exactly causes this? Cause (just as an example) ...M. Shadows burned out, but Alex Laiho didn't, and they've been around approximately the same amount of time (heck Laiho even a bit longer). So what's the deal? Is there a way to preserve your voice or is it just inevitable and all that helps to delay it is maybe good genes?
Originally Posted by Corwinoid
Metal doesn't hold hands, it gets head in the van before the show. Seriously.

If they didn't scream they wouldn't have to worry about it.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
Throw a flash bang at him.
I'm assuming there's a right and wrong way to scream and if you don't do it properly then you can get worn out faster.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Quote by WhiteHelljumper
If they didn't scream they wouldn't have to worry about it.

Obviously. I dont plan on screaming or anything, I'm just curious to know what's goin on.

There's ways to scream without screwing your body up, all you need to do is learn the right way and practice is.

e - right way to scream is using your lower stomach, wrong way is using your throat.
LTD SC-608 Baritone
Schecter 007-Elite
Epi. Les Paul Standard
Jasmine SC312
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-3
Peavey 6505+

www.behaviourmusic.com
One has balls, one never had 'em, I guess that'll have something to do with it. [/lame]
No seriously dude, Laiho's voice dies out a lot live.
I guess it's a matter of training and taking it one step at a time. Those that ruin their voice is because they probably went straight from nothing to full out screaming, you gotta start slowly and just work your way up.
Quote by Shib
what about opera?

What about it? It's all a matter of training.
From the stomach? Wouldnt that just make kinda a growl?

Meh.. silly screamers heh. Love both those singers but I'd like em just as much if they just kinda yelled in a pissed off manner :P

i think it has to do with the way you scream, and if you've conditioned your vocal chords to deal with it... if you start out screaming a lot and just keep doing that, then your voice will probably die faster than someone who started out screaming a little bit, and then gradually did it more until they were used to it
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Quote by Xinlitik
Cause (just as an example) ...M. Shadows burned out

No, he didn't. I really wish people would get it straight. He can still scream. He just doesn't. The beginning of Beast and the Harlot, for example. And how else is the band supposed to play their old stuff?

The reason he doesn't scream as much on their new stuff is because everyone in the band got tired of it. They thought metalcore was stale and sucked and decided they wanted to sound more like their influences than their peers.
if you scream wrong your throat can actually become infected and posibbly lost apparently heard it on a screaming tutorial, yes there is a correct way to scream but its hard to describe
Quote by Metal-X
No.. you see when one person stays on UG for to long, then they tend to lose there minds to the Pit monkeys. And well..... just watch for yourself

Quote by archangels666
No, he didn't. I really wish people would get it straight. He can still scream. He just doesn't. The beginning of Beast and the Harlot, for example. And how else is the band supposed to play their old stuff?

The reason he doesn't scream as much on their new stuff is because everyone in the band got tired of it. They thought metalcore was stale and sucked and decided they wanted to sound more like their influences than their peers.

He did have surgery on his throat. He popped a blood vessel or something like that when he was screaming.

I know City of Evil has screaming, I've listened to it plenty...that doesn't change the fact that he damaged his throat while other guys haven't (yet...). Edit: Oh yeah and try to dig up interviews of him from a few years ago, and ones now. His voice is pretty noticeably different.

Quote by Saintsatan
Alexi is the shit.
Shadows is just shit.

*shrug* I like em both, although Bodom is obviously more badass.

Well a lot of these singers probably put more strain on their voice at the beginning of their careers than anything because of not knowing the right way to sing. When you think about the famous singers, many of them still had vocal coaches to help them sing the right way, even screaming. So many of them start tearing up their voices early on due to improper technique.
Yeah, the scream comes from the stomach. When you scream improperly yours basically banging your vocal cords together really fast and hard. and it rubs them bare, that can cause infection and sores or blister like ouchies in the throat.