I am about to get my first mic, and I wanted to ask a question. I can spend 100 or so dollars on a new mic and I want to get the right one. I want to be able to mic my amp and get a good sound. but since this will be the only mic I will have for a while, I want to to be able to record vocals, mic over a drumset, and perhaps mic a whole room when we jam. I have two ideas.

Shure SM57
or
MXL 990

I already know that the Shure will be able to mic an amp well, but can it do the other things I need it to, or will the MXL be better in my situation. any suggestions, please

thanks
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Schecter C-1 Exotic (Super Rock II, DiMarzio Evo)

Boss TU-2
Geoffrey Teese Picture Wah
Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde
EHX Small Stone - Analogman mod
Line 6 Echopark

Fender DeVille 410
definately the mxl for recording since you want it to do all that. i record on my laptop with garage band and have the usb mxl condensor mic. it works damn well. depending on how you're going to record, you may want to look into a usb mic.
i agree with above. SM57's are for instruments and suck at vocal recordings.

Here we go again. The 57 has been used on all kinds of records. Robert Smith from The Cure has used a 57 on every album (so goes the rumor). There is a rumor that I've in about 30 different places that Bono from U2 only uses a SM58 in the studio.

I'd go with the SM 57, if it was me.

I've got mics that cost the price of the average 16 year old's car and I still find uses for my 57s all the time.

Brandon
I went ahead and got this one:

Studio Projects B1

I will eventually get a SM57, but that will hopefully due for now.

Thanks.
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Schecter C-1 Exotic (Super Rock II, DiMarzio Evo)

Boss TU-2
Geoffrey Teese Picture Wah
Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde
EHX Small Stone - Analogman mod
Line 6 Echopark

Fender DeVille 410
The SM57 is intended for instruments and yes you can use it on amps. The SM58 is the same microphone but is tailored to vocals.

You can get a pair of AKG D-9000s at Musicians Friend for around $80 and they are good for vocals. Not as good for instruments.
Last edited by Guitar Hack at Mar 3, 2007,
I've got both the first mics you were thinking of. They're both really good, but the 990 needs phantom power.