no, i am not a 13 year old kid... im 19. (clear that up real fast and get to the point)

(SHORT VERSION: GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THE THREAD)

LONG VERSION:
so my bass player, drummer and potential new guitarist are all in college. im a bum with no future, i work full time (high school grad). my singer had issues with a heart condition and had to drop out for a few years, but he's finishing up high school. he's not the problem. its the college a**holes who blow off band practice to "study" or whatever. fine. thats cool... i get it. but COME ON! can we try to have band practice more then 3 times a month... honestly. i know college kids who have time to get drunk every night, but these guys cant spare 2 or 3 days a week? they dont drink. what else do they have to do with their f***ing time?

hey, i like them all. they are great guys. i havent met the new guy but ive talked to him. hes cool as hell. i was supposed to meet him saturday. but there was a biology test on monday... MONDAY! jesus tap dancing christ! what the hell is sunday for?

my bass player: natural talent. he knew nothing, bought a bass, played in the basement of my singers house for 4 hours... became a pro. ive seen guys play for a few months to a year do way worse then this guy. only comes out on saturday. saturday only. no other day but saturday. cause if he came out any other day of the week he would shrivel up and f***ing DIE!

drummer isnt too big of a problem, i just dont like him as a person, but we get along. he is up for practice when others arent. dont know how he feels about days other then saturday.

(SHORT VERSION): HOW DO I GET THESE GUYS TO COME OUT MORE THEN ONE DAY A WEEK? THEY USUALLY GET DONE WORK AND SCHOOL OR WHAT EVER AT 5 O CLOCK. I GET DONE WORK AT 3. WHY CANT WE F***ING PRACTICE? i think they are all great and it was hard enough to find these guys, i cant replace them... so lets talk motivation... what are my options?
confront the learned bastards... seriously though, just talk to them about it, tell em ur pissed that they never wanna practice and what u told us
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had the tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.

Quote by xDie_Romanticx
just dont get it in your eyes and wear gloves
i tell the bass player all the time. he doesnt give anything resembling a good reason. he's just "tired"... BULL S***! i wake up at 5:30 every morning! the new guy... cant yell at him until i know him better, for now i'll call him a f**got and laugh it off... hardy f'ing har... but now im joking, later: PISSED....

WAIT i should lie to them... i should tell them we have a gig in 2 months and we need to get ours asses in gear and write some songs... as of now 1 song, and its a cover. (that should give you some idea as to how pissed i am... ONE SONG) damn... im running out of ideas
Last edited by PaperStSoapCo at Mar 1, 2007,
hah i know, why the hell would they value their education over this? but seriously, ive had the same problem lately, except im only 14, and we see each other atleast once a week but theyre lazy bastards and were having singer difficulties... but really, try writing something and tell them about it because that might motivate them, if that doesnt work then u really just need to find some new mates
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had the tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.

Quote by xDie_Romanticx
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
you must read the short version, giant raven-ass

Nice insult you have there

You know people study outside of school time as well? It certainly helps you pass

Quote by jimmiew
hah i know, why the hell would they value their education over this?

Because...perhaps being in a band isn't the single most important thing to them?
raven, i was being sarcastic cmon, you know me a bit better than that dont u? weve only talked indirectly for hours on irc
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer

Quote by xDie_Romanticx
Quote by jimmiew
raven, i was being sarcastic cmon, you know me a bit better than that dont u? weve only talked indirectly for hours on irc

We have? I can't detect internet sarcasm btw

Oh and threadstarter, go find different people to play with who have more free time
ya actually we have, weve played games together for ****s sake
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer

Quote by xDie_Romanticx
lame attempt at comedy, sorry. i have been trying to write on guitar pro. i ve some things in the making, but nothing past the first chorus. i havent showed them yet, but ill try and ask for input.

and i never studied outside of school and i did fine... never failed on my report card, maybe failed a few tests but i mostly got 80's and 90's. college kids get drunk as f*** every night... and these guys cant spare a few hours a week? come on! they arent doing s*** after 5 every weekday...they can study AFTER practice

instant message from my singer: "i dont think anybody should sacrifice education and money over a band who isnt kicked off yet but were not gonna kick off when we cant practice for a show because joe joe has a science exam"
Last edited by PaperStSoapCo at Mar 1, 2007,
bro, if youve got to the chorus then you're set, its just a matter of repeating verses and the chorus and maybe adding a bridge
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer

Quote by xDie_Romanticx
Maybe they just don't like you...

Or are really slow and need to study lots

Quote by jimmiew
bro, if youve got to the chorus then you're set, its just a matter of repeating verses and the chorus and maybe adding a bridge

Simple songs FTW!
i dont like to repeat parts, i try to be more creative... i want the song to advance and grow as it goes along... hopefully thats not too deep for some people
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
lame attempt at comedy, sorry. i have been trying to write on guitar pro. i ve some things in the making, but nothing past the first chorus. i havent showed them yet, but ill try and ask for input.

and i never studied outside of school and i did fine... never failed on my report card, maybe failed a few tests but i mostly got 80's and 90's. college kids get drunk as f*** every night... and these guys cant spare a few hours a week? come on! they arent doing s*** after 5 every weekday...they can study AFTER practice

Not all college kids get drunk every night. I'm usually working til 2 in the morning, getting up at 9 for class.

They've got their priorities, you have yours. Even if they do have some spare time, it's just possible that they don't want to spend it doing the things YOU want to do.

It's a hard thing sometimes in bands, but you can't force a guy to be as committed as you. You either have to work something out or find new people, and right now it looks like the latter.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
they say they want it as bad as i do, im not forcing anybody. they know what they can and cannot do. what if someone in your band said, "i get up at 9 and go to class, then i work on the payroll at the school, cause thats my job, until 5. then i go home and stare at a wall until i go to bed... maybe stare at a book if there is a test the next day."

would you then say, "well, if your not doing anything, let me know. cause maybe we can practice." or would you say, "f*** you! your out!" or less harsh: "i dont wanna get in your way, dude. ill just find somebody else to fill your postion... a postion i've been trying to fill for 5 years and your the only person good enough to stay."

am i so much of an a**hole for wanting someone to fulfill their dream as well as mine? or am i not explaining this very well?
i had a similar situation in my old band...

people in school don't have any time for bands, IF they care about their schooling. It's just the way it is. You can talk to them all you want, but until they're done school, or until they stop caring about it, they're never gonna be able to jam that much. And you'll notice that if you DO manage to pull them away from the books when they don't have the time, they act all distracted and spaced out in practice, because they've got tests and papers and such due. College actually IS a ton of work.

since you've got all this free time, and the band only jams on saturdays, just GET A SECOND BAND. No sense dumping the whole project and losing friends if there's not any pressure anyways... is your current band slated to record or gig anytime soon? if not, it sounds like you have a one-day-a-week project that you obsess about on the other 6 days.

My old band was hella-talented too... great drummer, my brother on bass, who was a natural, and a good singer. The drummer and bassist had too much school / girlfriend stuff all the time, and the singer just never stopped changing his priorities... one day it was our band, the next it was getting his Production career underway, one day it's finishing his degree, etc... no focus. That band had to end because we were constantly being offered gigs that nobody could play, never had a chance to rehearse, and the recording project we had started had gone sour.

Anyways, just save yourself the headache and get another band. I guarantee the other guys won't mind... if anything, THAT might motivate them to practice more, knowing that you really AREN'T just going to wait around for them.
Last edited by frigginjerk at Mar 1, 2007,
first person to try to offer real advice and not agree with something someone else said. thanks frigginjerk. but i cant stress how difficult it was to find these guys. 5 years man... people have been 2-faced and said they liked what we were doing and THEN try to make it into THEIR band not OURS (as in the best interest of the group, not me). people who break promises and talk s*** behind our backs... and why? cause we dont wanna be black satan worshiping death metal.

so we got musicaly-balanced people now. trust me, we've had many people come and go... more then 20, and these guys WANT to stay... they just dont want to work. and no one has a girlfriend (yeah, we'ra all losers and thats why we have each other) but your right i wont abandon the project because this is my goal. if music isnt what you want your life to be, then dont even bother. focus your life on other s***. the bands who make it are the ones who live for it.

i was talking to the bass player last night and he was talking about how he wants to play live and be loved by the crowd. a little idealistic, but ok. all i ask is that he try to work for it. so i dont want anyone telling me this is my pet project, this IS my lifes work. i just want to get started already. (and i finally met the new guy today, my singer found him online, so HE came to US... so he better be ready to make something of himself, other then that, he was a nice guy. didnt get to jam with him, but i will tomorrow.)
why dont you guys tell me how often your current or previous bands practice? weekly, monthly, yearly? how often did you guys get together to practice and how far did you get?
this way i'll know how much of an a**hole i am for asking for 2 or 3 days a week. is it unreasonable or unrealistic? or is it nessessary to achieve success?
My band only practices once a week. Sundays.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
why dont you guys tell me how often your current or previous bands practice? weekly, monthly, yearly? how often did you guys get together to practice and how far did you get?
this way i'll know how much of an a**hole i am for asking for 2 or 3 days a week. is it unreasonable or unrealistic? or is it nessessary to achieve success?

Every Monday
PaperStSoapCo: you're in for a rare treat... i feel like ranting a bit

I see where you're coming from. I gotta tell you I felt the same way. Granted, my old band sounded great AND was the first lineup we ever tried, in terms of guitar bass and drums (a few singers), but I know how it's like, you have people you play great with and who are musically on the same page, and every time you have a good jam it's the best jam you've ever had, and the you all seem to know what the other will play before he plays it, and songs seem to write themselves for you.... on the rare occasions you can all practice. But it still beats having no band, right?

Sadly, having that connection does not mean your bandmates will have any more time available for the band. I'm gonna stand by my statement that people who want to do well in uni or college will never have enough time for 3 jams a week plus gigs and all the extra work to break a band and get a record deal.

Unless you're willing to wait for them to graduate, i doubt there's much you can do. Students get zombie-like about it, you know? They reflexively say "yeah, i can do that," because they get work heaped on them over and over in class. And i really did have the same conversations with my old bandmates... we'd talk about how good the band sounds, and how we want to be great live, and record sweet tracks, and do all this great shit, and on top of that, we'd talk about how we'll jam more starting next week.

what time next week?

i dunno i have a few papers due, and i gotta pick up a shift

maybe tuesday / thursday?

i'll check it out, and get back to you

monday sucks for me

lets just say next week for sure, and we'll call each other about it

word

and then ****ing no jams happen!!!! and it pisses you right off. but you don't wanna bitch everyone out, becasue then that's one more reason for them to say "i gotta study" instead of come to practice. people who want to jam will just ****ing pick three days a week where they don't make other plans, and then they SHOW UP. I mean, you wanna say "don't act like it HURTS to jam, or like it's such a huge chore, or like it takes ALL day... you just have to find 3 hours a few days a week and get it done!"

People honestly get too much on their plates, and convince themselves that they can do it all. School, girlfriend, day job, social life, AND a band... and yet all the bands that make it are full of guys who do NOTHING but play music and work at it. The facts are right there.

if you live in a big-ish town or city, you should be able to find more bands to join. never say never. I also stick with my usual advice to just join a second band, and let your other band work itself out... if you only jam once a week, you've got several other days open for other shit.

And i also mulled a lot about not wanting to divide my music writing into two or more bands.... i worried i would run out of ideas and not be able to produce that much material all the time, i worried that i would start to designate my "not-so-great" material to the band i like less, stuff like that... Don't worry about that. Having a different band makes you come up with brand new shit all the time, and as long as you know how to play guitar, it'll be pretty good if the band is good. And the more you write, the better you get at it, and the more you write in turn. As long as you focus on MUSIC, you should have as many projecets as you can fit, since you never know which one might take off... why bet all your career hopes on one band of college students?

btw, i have one band that jams once a week, and the other band i'm forming will have 3 rehearsals a week with few exceptions.

a final thought: you're just 19 man... i know you said you've been searching for this band since you were 14, but you've got some TIME ahead of you... real bands don't get big and famous till they're closer to 25-ish... just crappy pop bands. You'll find that as you get older, there are more people in your age group that know what they want to do with their life, and know how to stick to something... just because nobody of high-school age could cut it with your band doesn't mean you can't find someone. No wonder you had a revolving door of bad band members before you got this current lineup. kids aged 14-17 are generally unreliable and self-centered. such is puberty.

peace out
Last edited by frigginjerk at Mar 6, 2007,
Quote by greendayguitar
My band only practices once a week. Sundays.

Same but its saturdays, we get plenty done and we orgsanise extra practices if a big gig iscoming up
Quote by yawn
Wikipedia articles are my inspiration.

www.myspace.com/symmetry4321

Custom Strat
Roland Cube 30 (soon upgrading to Peavy Valveking 112)
Danelectro FAB Metal
Marshall VT-1

RIP Chris Benoit
Why not try a "whenever you can practice" idea, you'd be amazed at the amount of practises you might actually get
www.myspace.com/symmetry4321

Quote by RockerPseudonym
I think stone is either 7 or 14 lbs

Edit I'm gonna go with 14 because it's rather unlikely you're 56 pounds

Quote by evening_crow
sounds like....u need a...

BAND MEETING!!!
Quote by METSOAD
Why not try a "whenever you can practice" idea, you'd be amazed at the amount of practises you might actually get

that only works if the other band members are truly interested in jamming. If they're more interested in not flunking out of college, this method will lead to less jams than they already have.
We've practiced twice. Ever. How long have we been togther? Prob 6 months. My bass player doesn't have an amp, and his bass was $40 at a media play closeout. My drummer's house is so small he can't set up his drumset correctly. IN HIS OWN HOME! My vocalist refuses to write ANY lyrics until he hears original music, which we can't write and agree upon unless we're all together. So trust me. Your situation is very clear to some of us!

Unfortunately, I've pretty much decided to dissolve that band and work on a new one. That's the only solution to some things that don't work. Start over.
Quote by Mazzakazza
Play Meshuggah. It is the solution.
Quote by GiantRaven
Heaven forbid they place their education over a small time band

You really are UG's Mr. Grumpy Pants
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
well, for me i barely have any time to practice my bass let alone go somewhere to jam with friends. they are paying serious dosh to be at university, and normally (depending on what degree you are doing) - the workload can get intense. normally if i do all the reading and assignment work before the weekend i normally do some jams then.

you just can't tell them to pay less attention to the study (if they have gone to uni they intend to have some sort of serious career), but try and reason with them to have at least one jam on the weekend (the time when they have no class) - but then again, they may need to work to afford things for uni.

btw, uni is a massive step up from high school - you can't afford to ignore the reading or classes. if they finish at 5, they may need to go home and do some prep for the classes tomorrow, then do some study for the exams, maybe they have assignments due.
Quote by TMAW
Same but its saturdays, we get plenty done and we orgsanise extra practices if a big gig iscoming up

Yea, same here. We were late for soundcheck because we jammed before our first gig

We do it Sunday's because it's just easier. I work Saturday's, the other guitarist has hockey, and all that. Sunday's just work better.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
thank you all, very helpful and kind unlike previous a**holes who just wanted to break my stones about "getting in the way of education" which was never my intension.

and yes frigginjerk, your rant was a treat