I just bought a cheap Duncan Performer Scorcher Rail (stacked humbucker) to replace my neck pickup and i installed. The only thing is the wiring. The pickup has 4 wires, i wired 3 like the manual said, the other wire is a black one and the manual said that is for "hot output". What does that mean? I left the black wire out and the pickup work, but it must be for something. Thanks in advance.

BTW, i have 1 tone knob and 1 volume knob. I don't have a 3 way switch but 2 toggle switch (on-off) that work for each pickup.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
well for my rails. it was red and white soldered together. green and bare were grounded to the pot. and black was hot. in my case went to the switch.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Thanks for the reply. I grounded green and bare. The red and white was soldered to the switch and the black was left out. So, i must solder it (black wire) to the switch too?.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey

MY VIDEOS
well it depends what ur doing with it. but with my Seymour Duncans.
the red and white are soldered toogether and to nothing else.

the green is ground and the black is hot, and would go to the spot u took the stock hot off of. in the case of my strat, it's the 5 way switch.

but there are other ways to wire a SD. this is just the most basic, common way.

edit: check out this picture of my strat guard upside down. in the bridge spot is a SD hotrails.

that's how i wired it. did the same with the SD rails in my tele.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Mar 1, 2007,
Yes, is like you said. I double check the manual and the red & white ends must be insulated.
Thanks again, that picture was of great help.

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey

MY VIDEOS
ok cool, hope it works out.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Yes, is like you said. I double check the manual and the red & white ends must be insulated.
Thanks again, that picture was of great help

Just so's you know, the way you've described means it's wired in the following way...the red wire is the output from the first coil, so that's connected. The white wire is the input of the second coil, so essentially it's doing nothing when connected. As Jenny said, the black wire is the hot output and is the one you want soldered to the pot's terminal. As it stands you've got one coil out of the two connected, which is why you're getting sound from it. Connecting the red and white wires will connect the two coils together - if you just connected the black wire without splicing red and white then only the second coil would be connected.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Mar 2, 2007,
Thanks a lot, thats help me a lot to understand what i was doing. I splic the red and white wire and soldered the black to the switch. The pickup has the same output as the humbucker of the bridge and there's no hum at all with high gain, so i think that was the right wiring.

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey

MY VIDEOS
Thanks a lot, thats help me a lot to understand what i was doing. I splic the red and white wire and soldered the black to the switch. The pickup has the same output as the humbucker of the bridge and there's no hum at all with high gain, so i think that was the right wiring.

Yup, spot on.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com