I was wondering how to flip a bass guitar. My first gig with my band is coming up and I wanted to make a nice impression. I also want to know if I can keep it plugged in, all the vids of people flipping weren't plugged in.

Anyone want to help me with this?

Thanks in advance!
Clear all small children and or pregnant females out of the room first. Oh, and put yourself in a styrofoam box as to not KILL YOUR ENTIRE AUDIENCE DUE TO FLYING BASS.
Live as a man. Die as a man. Become a man.

That's the proof of your incompetence, right there.
You lack the qualifications to exercise free will.
Quote by Mexican Militia
Clear all small children and or pregnant females out of the room first. Oh, and put yourself in a styrofoam box as to not KILL YOUR ENTIRE AUDIENCE DUE TO FLYING BASS.

Ok that visual just cracked me up. lol

I agree, don't do it, esp. if you have never attempted before the performance. The loss of life and bass could be horrible. Oh the humanity!

Besides, if you are killer and have that bad ass stage presence, you don't need it.
Don't doit unless you have EXTENSIVE practice with a really junky bass beforehand.

an you NEED straplock or your bass ill go flying, and you could in fact seriously injusre someone....don't do it.
Wow blonde moment... I didnt know what you meant by flipping the bass for a minute... I get it now...

So yeah... uhh... Dont unless you have a P.O.S. bass that you can practice with for a while before you actually try it. Besides, its not that cool. Do what Nirvanas bassist did and throw it up and catch it.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, you should do it. It would be funny as hell to see someone get there head caved in by a flying bass! (I was kidding BTW)
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Last edited by silentdob at Mar 1, 2007,
If you aboslutely insist on it, duck tape coupled with strap locks in case the screws come loose. I've seen that happen many a time.
Quote by X Alkaline 3
I dared a Jew to throw rocks at Hitler when he was a young boy..

Never knew he'd take it to heart like that.

iScrobbler

Psalms 62:8
Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
Alright thanks for the advice. I don't think I'll try it, i only have one bass too. no need to get that bashed up.

thanks anyway

(nice visuals btw)
Strap locks and a wireless lead is pretty much essential
ive seen 2 flying basses (one resulting in a broken neck on a EBMM stingray, that shit gave me nighmares for a week)
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"

Even better! SMASH IT!
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Why don't you spend the time practicing rather than throwing your instrument around and impress by being a good bassist rather than a clown?
Quote by smb
Why don't you spend the time practicing rather than throwing your instrument around and impress by being a good bassist rather than a clown?

+1
bass - That thing that goes bum bum bum.
Quote by silentdob
Wow blonde moment... I didnt know what you meant by flipping the bass for a minute... I get it now...

So yeah... uhh... Dont unless you have a P.O.S. bass that you can practice with for a while before you actually try it. Besides, its not that cool. Do what Nirvanas bassist did and throw it up and catch it.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, you should do it. It would be funny as hell to see someone get there head caved in by a flying bass! (I was kidding BTW)

He caught it?

I thought he got whacked on the head...
well theres nothing wrong by doing it. he can do whatever he wants, if he wants to impress people ,let em, hey but practice first lol,
just get a strap and a broom and practice when you feel confident try it whit the bass ...
but just practice first
(no sarcasm)
AbsentMind
Quote by GiantRaven
He caught it?

yeah i was thinking that too! Hell that must have hurt. Anyway i agree with wowing the crowd with your playing rather than your antics, especially as its your first gig
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by smb

When the average human pays to go to a show, he goes for the preformance just as much as he goes there for the music.

The music (in my opinion) is more important, but if you wanna get your crowd going it will help if you will do something else besides standing there and playing.

If you wanna preform yourself remember it.

For the thread starter, "flipping bass" is too risky.
But i recommend this nice trick (i use it myself)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5UqDqwzagU

(00:20)
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by GiantRaven
He caught it?

Lolz. Actually if I remember right, he was pretty damn drunk and obviously missed. He usually cought it though. He just had a drunk moment...that was funny as hell
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Probably the best bass trick you can do on stage is:

1. Take your pants off
2. Rip the pants in two.
3. Put one leg of the pants on the neck of the bass, the other leg on your private parts.
4. Set the leg of the pants on the bass on fire
5. Take the bass off your shoulder, and spin the bass like a football on the ground, while dancing around it and screaming, "Oleoleoleo!!!!"
6. After the bass stops spining, take your amp and crush the bass. This will set the amp on fire.
7. Stand on top of the amp, catch your pant leg on your hoo-ha on fire, and scream, "I'm hot fiah! I'm hot fiah!"
8. Get off the stage and extinguish your flaming shizzle stick.
The.
Do u really hav to do a swing ur bass? I would want to, but u would hav to be perfect at it
1. Secure your strap. If you're going to do this you must have at least a set of strap locks. Strap locks don't work for some of us (me included) so others duct tape their strap. I drill woodscrews with the strap attached (via two washers ont he front and back of the ends) into the holes where the strap pegs go. It has not let me down, but it will hurt your resale value.

2. Commit to the flip. You can't toss it and then decide you don't want to, so if you're going to do it, you'd better be ready to go through with it. If at any point in the flip you decide you don't want to do it, something will go wrong.

3. Hold it. Hold the neck close to the body, I like my wrist to actually touch the body of my guitar. Hold the body by your rear strap peg, for an over the shoulder flip your power hand will be your body hand, and vice versa for an over the back flip.

4. Throw it over, not out. Don't throw your bass straight out as someone mentioned earlier, thats just asking for disaster. Use your neck hand (for an over the shoulder) to guide the bass, until your hand is parallel with your head. Use your body hand to force the bass over your shoulder. This technique will leave your hands high on your body, making plenty of room for your bass to swing back around. For an over the back flip (I don't ever reccomend doing these) grip the bass by the base of the neck and throw it. Your hand holding the neck should go under your body hand (which should have let go of the bass by now) until it almost reaches your armpit. After that all you can really do is lean your head down so as to avoid getting an accidental concussion.

5. Catch. There will be a point where the centrifugal force on the bass runs out and gravity takes over, this will cause the bass to briefly pause in the air, right in front of you. Needless to say, this is an ideal time to grab your bass and resume normal playing.

That should cover it.