Now that I have gotten a good guitar, I want to get a good amp, because mine sucks... I want to know which one of these is louder, has better tone, and if the MG250DFX is worth the extra $30, which probably won't matter too much when I'm spending almost $500. I currently do not have any money, so I'm going to have to save up for it, or get my parents to buy it... which I'm 99.99999999999999999% sure won't happen, but I'll be able to get it eventually.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MG100DFX-Combo-?sku=483190

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MG250DFX-Stereo-Combo-Amp?sku=483104
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
PLEASE DONT GET A MG. just because it says Marshall doesnt mean its good. You can get a great tube combo for $500 that will be louder than both of those. what music do you like???
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Joe Perry Boneyard (BKP Black Dogs)
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Supro Thunderbolt!
you can do way better than that for the money

look into fender tube amps for great cleans

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
they are both terrible amps, MG's are the worst amps on the market for thier price range

go for a vox or something
Gear:
Carvin Bolt-T -> Line 6 DL-4 -> Danelectro Fish and Chips -> Homemade Fuzz -> Epiphone Valve Junior Combo -> Amplitube and Guitar Rig.
Depending on your intentions in playing in the long run...... sorry to say but there really isn't a "Good" amp for $500.00. There's definately OK. But not Good. Good meaning you really need an all Valve/Tube amp. And not just a 12ax7 tube amp..... you can get a better sound that that out of a $200.00 modified Tube Screamer Pedal. Those are basically "Pre-amp" tubes. The real Tone and Crunch/Distortion sounds that your probably accustomed to hearing are from the real Power Tube amps.

All Tube - Marshall, Vox, Peavey Classic, Crate..... is the way to go.

A really good cabinet 2 x 12 speakers is going to cost $500 or $600 at least. The Alnico Vox is $999.00 just for the Cab.

Spend more time on the guitar, learning, and making sure your gear "wish" list has quality stuff on it and you'll be happier in the long run.
96 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
95 Strat w/ Lindy Fralins
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
okay... then i'm glad i asked... what wattage should i get for a tube amp to be loud enough for gigs? because i plan on starting a band soon... any specific models i should look at? if i can get something cheaper, that would be great, but not necessary, because it takes me forever to save up money
The morning will come

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Louder isn't necessarily better. Assuming you end up w/ something with a tube output section, to get the sweet tube overdrive sound from your output section, you need to be running it close to max power...which will frequently wake the dead on some of the higher powered amps.

I've played on many amps, and in my opinion the best sounding amp was a 15 watt all tube amp, 'cause you could crank the sucker, not wake the dead, and get the sweet output-section overdrive sounds.

Just my take on it...
uhthe marshall avt 50watt tube combo is good... its as loud as a 100w solid state.
With regards to my previous commentary, if you are going to be miced you can go pretty low out the output watts and it'll be fine. If not, you need to go a little bigger obviously...
^is that one all tube? i dont think it is

like i said look into the fender all tube amps for really nice clean tone

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

if you want a good amp that you wont ahve to replace for a while. Try to go all tube. Look at the Peavey Classic 30, Vox AC15, May be able to find a Marshall DSL201 or 401 in your price range, Any fender all tubes.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Joe Perry Boneyard (BKP Black Dogs)
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Supro Thunderbolt!
i take offense to the "MGs suck" stuff, i have an MG and i often get people telling me that it's the best sound they have ever heard out of a marshall at gigs...of course, take into consideration that mine is broken, not to the point of unplayability, but, it pumps 2x the gain most other do. find a way to boost your gain without feedback, and you may do it with an MG.

btw, i highly recomend against the MGs, mine's only good because of ti's flaws. what i do recomend are Vox...damn good amps. if at all possible, just hold off on buying shit until you get enough money for a nice, good, reliable, TUBE amp. tubes rule.
i play mostly heavy stuff, but i also play punk, grunge, blues, and classical, so i want decent cleans, but the distortion must be very good

i'll look at some of the amps suggested
The morning will come

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Of course.... like all things guitar..... many answers to the question. My 30watt Class A Vox head SMOKES my 60 Watt Marshall.

So it depends on the type. Class A versus Class AB. Unless you are going to be playing at the Superdome or at Woodstock..... Forget about 100 Watt heads.

30 watts Class A and 50 Watts Class AB is PLENTY loud. And tube amps sound better cranked.

That's probably one reason why there's 500 Marshall stacks for sale on EBAY everyday. 100 Watts is ARENA type power.

So 50 Watts or so is definately enough to get you arrested. And plenty loud to handle a drummer. So you should be safe there.

Anyway..... any type of serious gig or performance and you'll probably be Mic'ed up through a PA system...... and in those cases you can get away with pretty much any power.

The problem you're going to have is the $$$$$. My Vox head and Cab was $1850.00 OUCH. Marshall TSL602 is $1599.00. I got it used from Guitar Center friend of mine for $1000.00.

But I would guess that for around $500.00 - $600.00 you could get a nice Tube combo or something that would definately serve you until you can afford a higher-end amp.

I would suggest the Marshall DSL-401 Combo....Vox AC15 Combo....Peavey Classic 30 Combo.....Crate V30 Combo. Each of those would be plenty of power and Tone to gig and play seriously with in the beginning. But after a while you'll get to the point where you'll want a really nice speaker cab as well. Speakers do make a big difference in the long run.

Those cover just about all the gammets of style and sound for around $600.00 With the exception of METAL. In that case I can't help you. I'm a classic rock, sourthern rock, GnR type of player. So Marshall - Les Paul is all I really need.
96 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
95 Strat w/ Lindy Fralins
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
i would say look for a used dsl401 on ebay or maybe a peavey valveking
gear:
fender mim telecaster w/ some extra stuff
Vox Ad50vt
Vox V847 Wah
Boss OS-2
Keeley Boss DS-1 Ultra
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
MXR Phase 90
Boss CH-1
The morning will come

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
A Traynor 50?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by jacob23
uhthe marshall avt 50watt tube combo is good... its as loud as a 100w solid state.

thats a "hybrid" not tube
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
Ashdown Fallen Angel FTW
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by jacob23

WRONG!
Sent from my iPad.
...Who cares about wattage? Heck, 30 watts is more than enough for band practice....

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by paintITblack39

OMG!

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Doodleface
Ashdown Fallen Angel FTW

+as many as I can give it. Great amp for the money!! Try and get a second hand older one though, without the DSP effects (DSP effects on a tube amp!!! what were they thinking!!??)
The morning will come

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
the valve king is the only good amp in that last list.

basically anything on this list is good.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitar/navigation/tube-hybrid-bass-amplifiers-speakers?N=100001+306271+10&page=1

and btw, tube amps that are 15watt are more than loud enough for medium sized gigs
Gear:
Carvin Bolt-T -> Line 6 DL-4 -> Danelectro Fish and Chips -> Homemade Fuzz -> Epiphone Valve Junior Combo -> Amplitube and Guitar Rig.
what about one of these two? i'd probably go with the rocktron, because the ashdown is blemished... but a couple of people said something about the fallen angel... so i just wanted to be sure

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-Fallen-Angel-40-DSP-Guitar-Combo?sku=485043X

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rocktron-V80R-Vendetta-80w-1x12-Combo-Amp?sku=480849
The morning will come

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath