Well, my english teacher assigned me a project to create a soundtrack with songs containing lyrics that relate to "The Catcher in the Rye", by J.D. Salinger. They can be relatable to specific events in the novel, or themes/tones etc.

Does anyone know any good songs to use? The whole song doesn't have to pertain to the book, a stanza section is ok too.

Thanks.
the emo song
give them catcher and the rye
and the'll jack off
C2B3
Colnel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains

Quote by larry jones
I don't put people's quotes in my sig, but this would go there if I did.
Man, that's a sick assignment.

I have to write an essay about Holden's attitude towards phonies.
* The band Killing Caulfield is a reference to the lead character in The Catcher in the Rye.

* The band Belle and Sebastian mention Catcher in the Rye in their song " Le Pastie De La Bourgeoisie." The lyrics are as follows, " Give yourself up to the allure of/Catcher In The Rye."

* A song by the French/Swedish band Milkymee, "Make way for the mittens", refers to Salinger's book : "Beautifulest outsider alive like the Catcher in the Rye".

* A song by the Swedish band Komeda, "Catcher," refers to Holden Caulfield's fantasy. Lyrics include "Who will catch your fall? / Who will do it all?" and "There ain't no catcher in the rye." The song appears on the band's 2003 album Kokomemedada.

* UK Art Pop band Santa Carla released a song called "Catcher In The Rye" on their 2005 release Earworms. The song is about a fanatical stalker.

* American rock band Green Day's song "Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?" appears on their Kerplunk! album. The song is based on how frontman Billie Joe Armstrong could relate to the main character as an outcast.

* American punk band Screeching Weasel responded to the aforementioned Green Day song with the song "I Wrote Holden Caulfield".

* New Jersey ska band Streetlight Manifesto reference both J. D. Salinger and Holden Caulfield in the song "Here's to Life" (track 8 on their debut CD Everything Goes Numb). The lyrics are: "Holden Caulfield is a friend of mine, we go drinking from time to time, and I find: it gets harder every time"; and then, further in the song, "Hey there Salinger what did you do, just when the world was looking to you, to write anything that meant anything, you told us you were through. And it's been years since you passed away, but I see no plaque and I see no grave, and I can't help believing, you wanted it that way."

* The Ataris' song "If You Really Want to Hear About It," from the 2001 album End is Forever, takes its title from the novel's opening sentence. The song's final lines paraphrase those of the book with the lyrics, "Don't ever tell anyone anything or else you'll wind up missing everybody." Several other specific references are made within the lyrics.

* In the 1990s, an alternative-pop band called The Caulfields released two records for A&M Records.

* Salinger's novel was mentioned in Billy Joel's hit single We Didn't Start The Fire in 1989: "Brando, The King and I, and The Catcher in the Rye."

* "William Holden Caulfield" is a track on Cereal Killers, the 1991 album by American indie rockers Too Much Joy. The song's title conflates the names of Salinger's protagonist and the actor William Holden, and the lyrics include the lines "I'm afraid of people who like Catcher in the Rye / Yeah, I like it too, but someone tell me why / People he'd despise say, 'I feel like that guy' / I don't wanna grow up, 'cause I don't wanna die."

* An unreleased Guns N' Roses song from the Chinese Democracy sessions is called "Catcher in the Rye" It was recently leaked in early March 2006 as a demo and features Brian May on guitar. The song is said to be about Mark David Chapman, murderer of John Lennon.

* A hardcore band from Huntington, West Virginia took over the name Holden Caulfield, and even goes so far as to use an image of J.D. Salinger on their CDs and other merchandise.

* On their album "Our Newest Album Ever!", ska band Five Iron Frenzy recorded a song called "Superpowers" in which a line goes "Sometimes I feel I'm Holden Caulfield, Sometimes Jack Kerouac"

* System of a Down's song Lost in Hollywood has been compared to the book in that it might be an allusion to Holden's disgust in DB's move to Hollywood to pursue his career. The song also uses the phrase "Phony people come to pray" to describe the crowd which comes with the city, a possible nod to Holden's well-known label.

* My Chemical Romance guitarist- Frank Iero's old band Pencey Prep named themselves after the infamous preparatory school from the book, as well as having a song called 'Secret Goldfish.'

* The Icelandic rap group Quarashi reference both Salinger's Catcher in the Rye and the anime show Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex simultaneously in their song "Weirdo." (see Television references, below)

* The French band Indochine made a song called Des Fleurs Pour Salinger (Flowers For Salinger) in which they present Salinger as a hermit trying to get away from the world's stupidity, and about the singer wanting to meet him. Near the end of the song, the singer whispers, in French, the following famous lines from The Catcher In The Rye: "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes. I'd marry this girl, that was also deaf and mute [...] I'd live near the woods but not in the woods." In French: "Je ferais semblant d’être sourd-muet /Et j’épouserais cette fille /Sourde et muette /On vivra près d’un ruisseau, près des bois /Mais pas dans les bois..."

* The Andover, Massachusetts group Piebald performs a song called Holden Caulfield, including such lyrics as "where do the ducks go in the wintertime," and "put my hat on and get out of here."

* The song Gin Soaked Boy by The Divine Comedy has a line I'm the Catcher In The Rye.

* The Emo Song by Adam and Andrew includes the lyrics "You can read me "Catcher in the Rye," and watch me jack off."
Quote by yawn
* The band Killing Caulfield is a reference to the lead character in The Catcher in the Rye.

* The band Belle and Sebastian mention Catcher in the Rye in their song " Le Pastie De La Bourgeoisie." The lyrics are as follows, " Give yourself up to the allure of/Catcher In The Rye."

* A song by the French/Swedish band Milkymee, "Make way for the mittens", refers to Salinger's book : "Beautifulest outsider alive like the Catcher in the Rye".

* A song by the Swedish band Komeda, "Catcher," refers to Holden Caulfield's fantasy. Lyrics include "Who will catch your fall? / Who will do it all?" and "There ain't no catcher in the rye." The song appears on the band's 2003 album Kokomemedada.

* UK Art Pop band Santa Carla released a song called "Catcher In The Rye" on their 2005 release Earworms. The song is about a fanatical stalker.

* American rock band Green Day's song "Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?" appears on their Kerplunk! album. The song is based on how frontman Billie Joe Armstrong could relate to the main character as an outcast.

* American punk band Screeching Weasel responded to the aforementioned Green Day song with the song "I Wrote Holden Caulfield".

* New Jersey ska band Streetlight Manifesto reference both J. D. Salinger and Holden Caulfield in the song "Here's to Life" (track 8 on their debut CD Everything Goes Numb). The lyrics are: "Holden Caulfield is a friend of mine, we go drinking from time to time, and I find: it gets harder every time"; and then, further in the song, "Hey there Salinger what did you do, just when the world was looking to you, to write anything that meant anything, you told us you were through. And it's been years since you passed away, but I see no plaque and I see no grave, and I can't help believing, you wanted it that way."

* The Ataris' song "If You Really Want to Hear About It," from the 2001 album End is Forever, takes its title from the novel's opening sentence. The song's final lines paraphrase those of the book with the lyrics, "Don't ever tell anyone anything or else you'll wind up missing everybody." Several other specific references are made within the lyrics.

* In the 1990s, an alternative-pop band called The Caulfields released two records for A&M Records.

* Salinger's novel was mentioned in Billy Joel's hit single We Didn't Start The Fire in 1989: "Brando, The King and I, and The Catcher in the Rye."

* "William Holden Caulfield" is a track on Cereal Killers, the 1991 album by American indie rockers Too Much Joy. The song's title conflates the names of Salinger's protagonist and the actor William Holden, and the lyrics include the lines "I'm afraid of people who like Catcher in the Rye / Yeah, I like it too, but someone tell me why / People he'd despise say, 'I feel like that guy' / I don't wanna grow up, 'cause I don't wanna die."

* An unreleased Guns N' Roses song from the Chinese Democracy sessions is called "Catcher in the Rye" It was recently leaked in early March 2006 as a demo and features Brian May on guitar. The song is said to be about Mark David Chapman, murderer of John Lennon.

* A hardcore band from Huntington, West Virginia took over the name Holden Caulfield, and even goes so far as to use an image of J.D. Salinger on their CDs and other merchandise.

* On their album "Our Newest Album Ever!", ska band Five Iron Frenzy recorded a song called "Superpowers" in which a line goes "Sometimes I feel I'm Holden Caulfield, Sometimes Jack Kerouac"

* System of a Down's song Lost in Hollywood has been compared to the book in that it might be an allusion to Holden's disgust in DB's move to Hollywood to pursue his career. The song also uses the phrase "Phony people come to pray" to describe the crowd which comes with the city, a possible nod to Holden's well-known label.

* My Chemical Romance guitarist- Frank Iero's old band Pencey Prep named themselves after the infamous preparatory school from the book, as well as having a song called 'Secret Goldfish.'

* The Icelandic rap group Quarashi reference both Salinger's Catcher in the Rye and the anime show Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex simultaneously in their song "Weirdo." (see Television references, below)

* The French band Indochine made a song called Des Fleurs Pour Salinger (Flowers For Salinger) in which they present Salinger as a hermit trying to get away from the world's stupidity, and about the singer wanting to meet him. Near the end of the song, the singer whispers, in French, the following famous lines from The Catcher In The Rye: "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes. I'd marry this girl, that was also deaf and mute [...] I'd live near the woods but not in the woods." In French: "Je ferais semblant d’être sourd-muet /Et j’épouserais cette fille /Sourde et muette /On vivra près d’un ruisseau, près des bois /Mais pas dans les bois..."

* The Andover, Massachusetts group Piebald performs a song called Holden Caulfield, including such lyrics as "where do the ducks go in the wintertime," and "put my hat on and get out of here."

* The song Gin Soaked Boy by The Divine Comedy has a line I'm the Catcher In The Rye.

* The Emo Song by Adam and Andrew includes the lyrics "You can read me "Catcher in the Rye," and watch me jack off."

Did you actully write that or did you steal it?
myspace.com/theunwantedjellybean <--- Add It!
this should be called "the 'people don't understand me'" thread or something.
there's just too much emo in here.

I need to leave.
Quote by Oligarchy
SGRocker0791 and Raijin.xiii are ass holes in case anyone was wondering.

Quote by jimmyjimjim
try not to be such a dick

Quote by jdotp
thanks to the ignorant prick
Quote by rock_on986
Did you actully write that or did you steal it?
Well, there's this little thing, it's called Wikipedia. It's pretty low-key and not very well known.
Quote by GardenGnome26
^
I'm not really looking for songs directly referencing the book, I'd like lyrics that are relatable to the story's themes. Thanks though.

Lost in Hollywood by SOAD is a great song that relates to the theme. If you don't want to use that, use any song that has a theme of innocence in it. Easy A.
OH NOES! My sig is gone.
Write one. I wrote a song about 1984, and I posted the lyrics here. It was actually well-recieved. It's not hard to write a song about a book. In fact, I'm planning on one based on Night, by Elie Wiesel.
yeah, well, it doesn't offer this kind of thing.

anyone else?

EDIT: to yawn

I was thinking about writing a song, but I really don't sing, and it's due tommorrow. Writing songs usually takes me several days to do.
I did a similar assignment last year.

*SPOILERS*

Elliott Smith - Miss Misery: The part where he's really depressed in the hotel
Radiohead - No Surprises: The end where he's in the mental insitution
Ride - Leave Them All Behind - beginning of the book
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Scar Tissue: part of the book when holden is really trashed
My Bloody Valentine - When You Sleep: Sleeping at the Antollini's.

etc.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Quote by Raijin.xiii
this should be called "the 'people don't understand me'" thread or something.
there's just too much emo in here.

I need to leave.

Yous hardscore. Hardscore.
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Quote by yawn

i didnt just read that did i?
what the **** is wrong with that guy?
the green day guy that is...

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009