Okay so I've been getting into theory alot more recently and I have myself to the point where I understand the concept of arpeggios and can play them pretty well and pretty fast. My problem is I can't understand how to apply the technique to songwriting. any tips?
Quote by Damage Inc 07
Okay so I've been getting into theory alot more recently and I have myself to the point where I understand the concept of arpeggios and can play them pretty well and pretty fast. My problem is I can't understand how to apply the technique to songwriting. any tips?

Arpeggios in general?
Get a chord progression and turn it into a progressing of arpeggios, Improvise with the arpeggio, only way i could see doing it.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

if youre looking for using them in soloing/fills

do you know the different qualities of the chords of a major+minor scale?
that would be a definite start, once you can learn those, if you feel really vicious memorize the modes, and all their qualities, took me about a week of practice to do that, then you just play through them, a couple methods, just a few:

if just in one key, play through the different chords of that key, like sweep/alt pick through a transition like 1-3-4-5

or if youre playing in something that has chord changes, figure out the key, and move on from there

one of my favorite examples is scarified by racer x, if you dont know the song, get it. now. the solo starts with some sweeping, which i analyzed, i dont know it off the top of my head, but paul gilbert does something like, 6-4-3-7, or something, thats nowhere near it, but you get the idea, he sweeps throug hthe different chord's and their arpeggios

so if you were playing a 1-2-3 pattern in A major you'd play:

an A arpeggio, 1, 3, 5, 7, 1(or something of that sort)
a B arpeggio, 1, b3, 5, b7, 1(minor because of the modal quality...if you dont know...learn it)
and a C arpeggio, 1, b3, 5, b7, 1(again, its this way because of the quality of the chord/mode you're on)
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.