so yeah ive been have guitar lessons for tha past few weeks(im learning how to play blues) and my teacher wrote down something like this

E----------1---x-------
B----------5---x-------
G----------x---4-------
D----------x---1-------
A----------4---5-------
E----------1---x-------

he told me to remember that so i can start soloing or something. explanation?
u ever hear in blues how theres a lot of mutes? like, one note then a mute, that looks to me like a small blues scale with 2 notes on each string. like 1 then mute it. go to the next and so on.
And when i can wake up to see the sunrise in your eyes then we'll finally be free and i'll know ive made it home. . . .- DArkest HOuR
I glanced at it, and I have no idea what it is, unless it's just a weird exercise.

F E B Eb D C#... I might've messed up an enharmonic or two, but that doesn't look like a bluesy scale to me.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
I think thats meant to be the pentatonic minor, and the teahcer has highlited the root, fourth and fifth

e-----1-------X------
B-----5-------X--
G-----X----4----------
D-----X----1-----------
A-----4----5-------
E ----1-------X--

My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
^ pentatonic minor doesn't have half step movements as notated by the threadstarter... i wonder if it was incorrectly tabbed out.
^He meant the 1, 4 and 5 were scale tones showing the root, perfect fourth and perfect fifth - not frets... just imagine this is the C minor pentatonic for now..

e|-1----X--| C = 1.
B|-5----X--| G = 5.
G|-X----4--| F = 4.
D|-X----1--| C = 1.
A|-4----5--| F = 4 then G = 5.
E|-1----X--| C = 1.

Get it? The diagram includes the Xs to be played as the shape, but the numbers are notating scale tones in the scale, not frets.

e--|-1-|---|---|-b3|----------
B--|-5-|---|---|-b7|----------
G--|-b3|---|-4-|---|----------
D--|-b7|---|-1-|---|----------
A--|-4-|---|-5-|---|----------
E--|-1-|---|---|-b3|----------

I think it was supposed to be drawn like this. I draw my scale shapes like this, a map of the scale shape, not TAB. the numbers are the intervals, the way to name the distance in pitch between the notes relative to the root. He wrote the 1, 4, and 5 out because they are important notes. his X's were just notes to play. I wrote in the other intervals names for you.

1=Root; b3=Minor(or flat) Third; 4= Perfect Fourth; 5=Perfect Fifth; b7=Minor(or flat) Seventh
Whatever it is, what kind of teacher gives you some numbers written on a paper without explaining what they are? O.O
Got too deep but - how deep is too deep?

FOUNDER OF THE ARCTIC MONKEYS FAN CLUB PM me to join.