When I buy a cabinet, I hear that a lot of people buy them because of the speakers they have.I don't know a whole lot about speakers, but I heard of V30's. But I also heard about a whole bunch of speakers as well. So can you list me all the speakers that around so when I buy a cabinet, I can get the right one that will give the sound I want?
Celestion (sp?)
Eminence
Mesa
Peavey

are the main speaker makers in my opinion
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Well I want the kind of beefy, chugga chugga sound when I palm mute and stuff, one that could handle bass well and treble, and mids. Kind of like an old school metal tone, but also a modern metal tone and metalcore, the kind of metalcore that has a melodic death metal influence on it too. So preety much what I wrote above. One that can give my a heavey, deep tone when I palm mute, also a thick, focused tone instead of loose and muddy.
Quote by swordsman14
Well I want the kind of beefy, chugga chugga

I think you're looking for a train
Quote by AzureNight
Don't worry guys, he's just bitter because he has a small dick.

Quote by Alexander_BR
You know that good feeling when you take a crap, gay sex is like that

Proud member of the Cardboard Mafia. Search "free boxes" for info.
Quote by Teh1337Hax0rz
I think you're looking for a train

^^^^^^^^^LMAO^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

........ ...........o, i cant breath
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Speakers can be used to accentuate a tone...But the main tone is gonna come from the amp, my friend. Keep that in mind.
I'd check out Eminence's Man O War's for you, though. Big bottom end. Aggressive break up.

Yea, that or possibly Celestion V30, but the Man O War is great to, but you should make sure your cab is of good quality, because though most of the sound comes from the amp, guitar, and speakers, the cab counts to

and you definitely want a closed-back cab, makes for a tighter bass response
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I agree about the closed back.

I feel that Celestions can be a bit expensive, personally.

i agree, i have eminence cannibus rex [sp?]
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
I have 2 1960 cab's (if you can call them that now) I bought them from a friend of a friend.
My base cab sounds more bassy really good for those palm mutes. My angled cab sounded more trebely a little crisper. Well I opened them up for the first time and found in the base cab. Altec lansing 417s I think they are 70 or 80 watts. and in the angled cab it had two 25 watt greenbacks and two 75 watt g12s celestions.

So to make a long story even longer, Check whats inside before you buy and Celestions in my opinion are a little more crisper proly good for lead. The altecs sound way better...
My Gear
Fender Strat ('97American Lonestar HSS)
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
Quote by swordsman14
also which speaker would be great if your playing metal?

Celestion Vintage 30's or V30's would be the classic/stereotypic metal speaker

IMO, correct me if im wrong
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Quote by forsaknazrael
They're more characterized by classic rock. Hence the Vintage 30's. Any speaker will work honestly. It's more the amp.

Agreed, if you want that tone it's 90% the amp

so focus more on your amp, then worry about speakers, mostly likely if the amp gives you that metal tone it will have metal speakers
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
What would be the "best" speaker for cleans nice bass handling cleans I need one for my clean amp. I morley a/b/y my amps as well i use a marshall g100r with a crate bv vintage 30 cab for distortion and a line 6 spider 2 112 for cleans i also have a pod xt pro rack in the mix as well.

thanks

scumbag darrel
so speakers dont matter that much then? Well I do think they do help enhance your sound a bit, so v30's are recommended for metal, they will give me that ultra bottom end when I play then? Are there any other speakers recommended for metal?
Quote by swordsman14
so speakers dont matter that much then? Well I do think they do help enhance your sound a bit, so v30's are recommended for metal, they will give me that ultra bottom end when I play then? Are there any other speakers recommended for metal?

Yea and I gave you two tone selectors

But yea, its like an exhaust on a car [kinda, best analogy off top of head]

If you put flowmasters on a v8 mustang/corvette, its gonna make it sound sweeter,

but you go and do it to a honda civic it's not gonna sound that good

you get what Im saying, they make a difference, but with out a good amp to start your not goin anywhere.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Quote by scumbagdarrel
What would be the "best" speaker for cleans nice bass handling cleans I need one for my clean amp. I morley a/b/y my amps as well i use a marshall g100r with a crate bv vintage 30 cab for distortion and a line 6 spider 2 112 for cleans i also have a pod xt pro rack in the mix as well.

thanks

scumbag darrel

I didn't get the 'I morley a/b/y my amps ' but anyway, I suggest you use the tone selectors, or try cabs with different speakers but your amp to see what you like, but I have this one and I like it, it's very very clear, and has tight clean bass
http://www.eminence.com/guitar_speaker_detail.asp?model=CANNABISREX&speaker_size=12&SUB_CAT_ID=4

But FYI, its a hemp speaker, and they have a slightly different sound than paper [and mostly all guitar speakers are paper cones i think]
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
I don't agree with the speakers not making much difference my two cabs sound totally different. in a good way
My Gear
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
Quote by forsaknazrael
It's not that they don't matter much, it's that they just accentuate your tone. Basically, they're the last link in finding your tone, I think.
I recommended Eminence Man O Wars, btw, if you were paying attention.

The Man O War really came off as more of a "Classic Metal" speaker to me. More of a lead speaker as the bass isn't as tight and aggressive as some metal heads would want IMO.
Quote by halfstacked
I don't agree with the speakers not making much difference my two cabs sound totally different. in a good way

So if you plug a Marshall JTM45 and a Marshall MG into the same cab, it won't make a difference? I'm not saying the speakers DON'T make a difference, but that the biggest factor in your tone is your amp. If he's trying to squeeze metal tone outta a Vox AC30 by changing speakers, he's barking up the wrong tree, ya got me?
Quote by TehJermie
The Man O War really came off as more of a "Classic Metal" speaker to me. More of a lead speaker as the bass isn't as tight and aggressive as some metal heads would want IMO.

I guess. I listen to classic metal, when I do listen to metal.
They certainly make more than 10% of the total sound you are getting though. I can plug into each cab with the same amp same everything and get totally different sounds.

But we are here to help this guy out so your opinion is just as important as mine.

Truce
My Gear
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
Oh, I don't doubt that they do influence the tone. That's why I said they accentuate the tone. I'm just saying that if you plug a 5150 into a cab loaded with Jensens, you aren't gonna get classic rock Fender tones. Likewise, loading a Fender Twin Reverb with Eminence Governors ain't got get you British Rock. They influence, but not to THAT great a degree. It just sounded like this guy was thinking in that manner.