A friend of ours is starting to play keys in my band but doesn't no shit about doing so....it's really annoying and frustrating because he can only play the root notes to the chords played by the guitars, and if not that then it's parts that me and the other guitarist come up with for him. So he said he'll take a piano class next year at school (he's a junior in high school), but i told him that he should take a music theory and composition class instead. So...he doesn't really want to, all he wants is to learn how to play piano/keys, but i want him to actually learn how to write his own stuff. Now, he agreed to check out the class and will try it (bad thing is that he needs to have some aplications at the community college because he can get credit there for taking the class...he doesn't have to pay or anything for it, the school does it for him, he only fills out a form) UNLESS he needs to do the paperwork. Am i the only to think he's stupid for not taking that class? I mean..in piano they'll only teach him how to read/play written music. In the other, he'll learn the basics to scales, chords, progressions, modes and all that stuff...in the piano!

Blah, should i insist with the class? what are some good points to convince him? any experience from u? say....u regret not taking a class like that?
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Don't try to force knowledge of theory on him. Some people just can't get into that stuff.
However, it sounds like he sucks. You should find someone else if you absolutely need the keys.
I like to think I'm tuned with the art of Piano/Keys and everything to do with it...

Insist with the lessons, I think you're right here.

Edit: And I agree with ParticleMan, drop him if he refuses. Be commanding! Rah!
Quote by Zuka
I like to think I'm tuned with the art of Piano/Keys and everything to do with it...

Insist with the lessons, I think you're right here.

Edit: And I agree with ParticleMan, drop him if he refuses. Be commanding! Rah!

Glad to see your normal type of avatar is back. That bumoffbarney one confused me.
I know what you mean...but the things are:

- he's a good friend of the band
- he's hanged out with the other guys longer than i have (him about 2 years maybe, while i joined the band last year)
- he's been our "soundtech" though he doesn't know how to do shit and we always have to tell him what to do

so yeah...if i say something i might get the rest of the band turn a little against me...and the other guitarist is pretty much oblivious about this topic (he's a really goofy guy)

Quote by ParticleManTMBG
Glad to see your normal type of avatar is back. That bumoffbarney one confused me.

We attempted to dupe UG, and, well... we only sort of succeeded.

It was epic, though!
How can you simply learn to play the piano but ignore theory? They will teach him theory in the piano class.

Honestly though, he's gonna give it up in a few months.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
doesn't a good piano lesson come with some theory too?

it's a high school piano class...he'll only be taught how to read music and play it. i know because i had that teacher two years ago.

Quote by evening_crow
it's a high school piano class...he'll only be taught how to read music and play it. i know because i had that teacher two years ago.

Have you taken the class?
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by evening_crow

You'd be best finding a Music Teacher outside of school. They'll teach technique, theory, practice, etc.
Quote by Muphin
Have you taken the class?

No, not for piano...but i had her for guitar instead. All we learned were a couple songs (read music) and that was it, and even then it was really badly done. I do know for a fact that she knows well music theory/composition because a friend of mine had her for that class and once showed me the work he did there. He had to transcribe pieces into other keys.

Quote by thrashing moles
particle man, particle man, doin the things a particle can.............. tmgb fo lyfee

I feel the strange urge to sig that