to me, it sounds better using the side of the pick and tap with it on the fretboard instead of using your index finger. anyone else use the side of a pick too or is index finger the "preferred" technique?
I prefer to use my middle finger as it has less attack to it.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
i normally use my pointer finger for tapping, and putting the pick in my other fingers for the moment, bad habit, but it works for me.
Quote by gsr2k6
i normally use my pointer finger for tapping, and putting the pick in my other fingers for the moment, bad habit, but it works for me.

how is that a bad habit? are u supposed to put the pick somewhere else? ha
I've started using my middle finger to tap. Before I've been scared of breaking my nails so I've used the pick but fingers sound better. Except I'm terrible at it.
Quote by Ryank285
to me, it sounds better using the side of the pick and tap with it on the fretboard instead of using your index finger. anyone else use the side of a pick too or is index finger the "preferred" technique?

Dragonforce do.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
depends, if i have to go from picking to tapping fast i tend to use the pick but if i have the time i use my pointing finger cause i beleive it sounds better
I use my middle finger for the little tapping I do so I can keep my pick in a normal position between my thumb and index.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
I like the tone you get from using your pick, because it puts more treble and bite to your notes, and I think it keeps your guitar quieter, but you have to move your hands so your pick will work right, and when you're done tapping, you have to move it back, and I'm retarded, so maybe it's just me, but I can't move that fast. So instead, I use my middle finger. I have to sacrifice some tone for speed.
I like to use multiple fingers on my right hand for tapping, and you really just can't do that with a pick.
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee
oh yea, stanleybach, what are u like the forum ass hole, stop tryin to ruin all the fun u dick head

Quote by webbtje
Stanleybach fucked a tree. My perversion is nothing.
Quote by gsr2k6

Hahaha I do the same exact thing, so no worries bro!

As far as using your finger or using a pick, I believe its all about personal preference. Do whats comfortable to you.
Quote by ar73m
Dragonforce do.

depending what theyre goin for, they do lots of finger taps as well

basically finger is better but if you want to get the tap as quick as possible use the side of a pick
i cant finger tap much i can do the basic one string and dont move around fret board or it gets sloppy. also if i tap on anything cept the high e string it sounds really weird.

i really wanna tap but got alot of work to go.

i use my index which is bad coz i have to put pick in teeth so im trying to get use to using middle so i can pick afterwards
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Schecter s-1
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass
i use the side of my pick.
Ibanez VBT700 V-Blade
Ibanez RG220B
Dean Vendetta 1.0
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech XMM Metal Master
Digitech RP80 Multi Effects
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Quote by Kartman
I use my middle finger for the little tapping I do so I can keep my pick in a normal position between my thumb and index.

Haha, I am exactly the same.. I can barly tap either
"See, you're born punk. When you get your first haircut, then you're alternative. Then you let it grow long, then you're metal." - Kirk Hammett
depends what sound you want...

tapping with your pick isn't as clean

fingers>
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.