I'm looking into buying my first electric guitar, and I want THIS sound. Now I've read the 10 guitar commandments, rules #1 and #2 are important, I know. I just want to start off by getting the right guitar.

So if anyone could tell me what guitar this is, and possibly anything else from the sound of it (Pickups, amp, pedals) I would appreciate it.

Or even if you know something that sounds similar to that, please mention it.

I'm looking for the sound that he got without the first pedal he hits, when it first starts and up to 15 seconds in the clip it looks like he hits it. It sounds cool but I want the sound he gets at about 40 seconds in.

EDIT: wow forgot to include the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXEVVGzWKyc&mode=related&search=
Last edited by wAvy at Mar 1, 2007,
its a stratocaster w/ a left handed neck on it. most likely it has some sort of fancy pickups or tremolo on it but yeah, it looks just like a normal strat
First off that is a Jimi hendrix limited custom shop strat. i think they go for on ebay is around $10,000 or something.

second, most of you tone comes from your amp. A squier strat will do you well but make sure you get a kick ass amp. I would recommend a Fender Blues Junior or a Crate palomino. Their both the same price and kick ass.

How much do you have too spend?
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

It appears to be a streat with a reverse headstock. Possibly with John's signature pickups (Fender Big Dippers, they have less midrange output than regular pickups).
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by SublimeGuitar
First off that is a Jimi hendrix limited custom shop strat. i think they go for on ebay is around $10,000 or something.

second, most of you tone comes from your amp.

How much do you have too spend?

Yeah I've seen him use that Jimi Hendrix limited edition before, but I was wondering if a normal strat could still do that with some modding.

I'm willing to spend up to $1,200.
"second, most of you tone comes from your amp."

Uhm... I dont believe that's true. You do get quite a bit of tone from your guitar, not to mention your fingers...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
It appears to be a streat with a reverse headstock. Possibly with John's signature pickups (Fender Big Dippers, they have less midrange output than regular pickups).

So Fender Big Dippers are likely?

Yeah I can hear the wah pedal, but I am looking for that sound he gets after about 40 seconds in. It's the same as the songs in his album, Bold as Love, and Wait Until Tomorrow.
That would be a strat with a customized lefty neck for that Hendrix look. Not only does it look cool but it also makes it so the high e has less tension for easier bends.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
im sure a lot of john mayer's sound has to do with his fingers. your fingers have a BIG inpact on the tone.
Quote by wAvy
So Fender Big Dippers are likely?

Yeah I can hear the wah pedal, but I am looking for that sound he gets after about 40 seconds in. It's the same as the songs in his album, Bold as Love, and Wait Until Tomorrow.

Possibly. But if it's a Hendrix Custom, he may not have customized it, so as to keep it as authentic as possible.

Stupid name.

Quote by Ryank285
im sure a lot of john mayer's sound has to do with his fingers. your fingers has a BIG inpact on the tone.

Really? I've been playing acoustic for 3 years, that's what I started with and I've never layed a finger on an electric yet. I don't think there is a difference with the acoustic just based on your fingers.
Quote by wAvy
Really? I've been playing acoustic for 3 years, that's what I started with and I've never layed a finger on an electric yet. I don't think there is a difference with the acoustic just based on your fingers.

I believe the "tone's in the fingers" comment refers to how the individual person plays, the specific nuances that makes thier style what it is.

Stupid name.

Hes Using A Fender Stratocaster there,
Probably just using the standard single coil pickups that come with it as standard,
And Dunno what amps/effects because couldnt hear anything (My soundcards f0rked),
You could expect to pay around £400-500 for a Standard Fender Strat,
Hes probably paid abit more for his (in excess of £1000), As its most likely a high end fender.

Pretty pointless spending that much on a guitar though mate, Unless you already play and know you arnt just going to give up within a month or so.
How about a Squier stratocaster, Theyre just cheap fenders, Great begginer guitars too =] You can pick up a decent squier for about £100, Even cheaper in some places, But dont just buy a guitar straight off the net, Go into shops and try guitars out first.

But just some advice, Dont just try to mimic someone else's sound if you take up guitar, Create your own =P

Good luck
Bah, Damn me slow typing, There was no replies when i started typing that =/
^lol. Is that 1200 for the amp and guitar (though to be honest, I don't think it matters in this case...)? If so you might be able to get John's signature strat (899) and a nice tube amp (like a blues junior that was mentioned earlier). Hope that helps.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Quote by Kartman
That would be a strat with a customized lefty neck for that Hendrix look. Not only does it look cool but it also makes it so the high e has less tension for easier bends.

How would only the high e have less tension? Wouldn't that only depend on the string gauge he decides to use???
It's worth noting that with the style he's playing in that vid, alot of that tone is coming from his fingers.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay