Alright guys I am in a bit of a predicament. I played some tube amps at GC and i got some amazing tones from them so now i want to sell my spider II and get a tube amp. The only thing is i don't know if i should buy a tube combo now or if i should wait for another year or so until i can get enough money to buy a half stack. Amp suggestions are appreciated also. I play a lot of metal and hard rock not much clean if that helps any.
My Gear:
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
B-52 AT-100 Half stack
Boss GT-10
Breedlove AD25SR Plus
Yamaha EG112C
Boss Mt-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Wd-7 wah
Dunlop Gator Grip 2.0, 1.5, 1.14
about 8million people are about to tell you you dont need a half stack

and they are right so listen
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
i think a tube combo would be enough...
are you planning on playing gigs/play in a band?

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
If you're on a tight budget, go combo!

You can always hook it up to a cab eventually if you wish!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I'll only be playing in a band, but keep in mind that im not ur average 14 year old because i am a very serious player and i don't mess around.
My Gear:
B-52 AT-100 Half stack
Boss GT-10
Breedlove AD25SR Plus
Yamaha EG112C
Boss Mt-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Wd-7 wah
again, unless your playing for thousands, half stacks are just for looks mostly,

ESPECIALLY if your gonna mic the amp

Edit: also, at home you'll hardly be able to turn it up, and tube amps sound better the higher the volume, so you'll never be able to reach that unless u are at a gig, and maybe not even then
IMO
at home playing a 30w tube 2x12 cranked is gonna sound better than a 8x12 turned way way down
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Last edited by FrenchBread at Mar 1, 2007,
I have a 50watt 1x12 combo JCM 800 and I gig with it. I have never gone past 8 and really if your in a place that your going to need more your most likely going to be micing anyways. Also going from a combo to a half stack won't give you that much more volume. Only about 3 Dbs per extra speaker. You will however get more bass from a half stack. And as Jinskee said you can always hook it up to a cab later, I just makes for a funny looking Half stack, or I guess you could look at it as a unique looking half stack.
Alright so i should get a combo. Any suggestions?
My Gear:
B-52 AT-100 Half stack
Boss GT-10
Breedlove AD25SR Plus
Yamaha EG112C
Boss Mt-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Wd-7 wah