Does anyone know if this is a good guitar? my substitute teacher of all people, is selling a 97' or 94' Gibson SG Special, with a harshell case, for 500$ i dont know if this is a good deal or not. i have heard that everything sucks on the guitar, and i usually like to have better fret inlays than just the plain old dots. so if you guys could help me, that would be great. show me the pros and cons
thanks
WaggyPlank
the special version is kinda like a stripped down standard SG

can you play it? if yes, go do it and if you like it take it

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
well you should really go play it before you buy it

but like i said - the special is a really stripped down sg

i played the current gibson sg special faded when i got my guitar a while ago and it felt like crap
the wood felt fake, it was too light to give sustain and was just crappy crafted

but the one youre looking at is older, but honestly i dont know if they were better back then
you have to see yourself

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Last edited by hendriko at Mar 2, 2007,
I have an '02 SG Special (not the faded) and its a great guitar. It feels so similar to the standard, minus the neck binding and the inlays. I love the stock neck pickup on these though. To me, there is nothing sweeter than an Alnico II neck pickup.
I own one of these, I think it's a good guitar for the price. It plays and sounds pretty much a standard, but at half the price

Edit: Mine's an 06 model, I'm not sure what the older versions are like
Last edited by markisouvlaki at Mar 2, 2007,
im buying my friends ebony sg special for $300 (ya ridiculous price for a less than 1 yr old guitar). its a pretty good guitar. ive never liked neck binding so i don't care about that, the stock pickups are ok, and the inlays are dots which are my personal favs. its a really sexy looking guitar and it plays well. i wouldn't pay $1000 for one but if you can get it down to $800 or $850 total itll be worth the cash.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce