Hey everyone. Im new to the forums, been looking around for a while, everyone seems nice and helpful. So, heres the story.

I've been playing guitar for about 8 years now. I have what i think is a pretty decent setup, except for my amp. After about a year of playing, i had it in my head that i needed a super powerful amp. So i took my 500 dollars or so, and went for the biggest amp i could. (a crate 120 watt Solid State). Well now 7 years later, i want some real tone and that thing just isnt cutting it. Its too big, ive never had it past about 2 or 3. What i want is a small tube amp that i can crank up so get that signature overdriven sound without breaking my windows. (5-30 watts)

-I play a pretty wide variety of music. Pretty much anything except for really heavy metal.

-I have a carvin DC127 guitar.

BTW, ive looked into the fender blues junior as well as the pro junior so far. Please tell me what you guys think about those. Any any other suggestions as well.

Sorry about the length. Thanks in advance.
-Eric
the fender tube amps are really great for cleans
idk about gain stuff...never played them with overdrive

how much are you planning on spending?

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
epi valve junior, or laney (i've heard) make some sub 50 watt'ers in tube (valve) style.
Hey cool, quick replies, me like.

Honestly, im willing to spend as much as it takes to get the best. Well, within reason, how high could a 15 watt amp get in price?

ok ok.. lets say...$700 max
I need pictures of your Carvin before I'll give any advice .

...Ok maybe not, but I still want some pictures.

Check out a Zvex Nano.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
yeah, some sweet 18 watts out there...usually 2 EL84s in PP, they sound amazing. And, they're quiet enough you can turn them up and get some output tube overdrive w/o having the cops called on you.
Do you have a cab?
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
try to find a fender deluxe with a vintage jensen speaker its the best sounding amp I heard or if you want to be crazy cool try finding a vintage supro those things are amazing
Durka
no cab, sorry i should have said, i want a combo. just for practice and maybe recording.

FacingUsAll heres the guitar i have. sorry its just the factory pic. same color and model though
Attachments:
untitled.JPG
Quote by scud133
Check out the Traynor line....

YCV20WR ($640, 15W, greenback 1x12 combo) and YCV40 ($680, 40W, 1x12 combo) are really popular and highly regarded

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/navigation?q=traynor

15 all-tube watts is LOUD too if you crank it, so don't let that worry you

actually, i think that does worry me. i DONT want loud. i want to be able to crank it and get full saturation, without the neighbors hearing it.

Maybe i should think about 5 watts?
Quote by HofDiz
no cab, sorry i should have said, i want a combo. just for practice and maybe recording.

FacingUsAll heres the guitar i have. sorry its just the factory pic. same color and model though

Pfft I don't want a factory picture

You could get a Valve Junior combo and then replace the speaker.
Quote by utsapp89
Quote by HofDiz
actually, i think that does worry me. i DONT want loud. i want to be able to crank it and get full saturation, without the neighbors hearing it.

Maybe i should think about 5 watts?

well i mean it's def not going to be as loud as your old 120W amp, though all-tube watts are generally going to be louder than the equivalent solid state wattage ratings
Quote by HofDiz
Valve junior...thats epi right? how does this gibson compare?

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Amplifiers/Gibson%20Amplifiers/GA5%20Les%20Paul%20Junior/

It's way more expensive, for one thing. Valve Juniors run up 100-120 USD. Don't worry about the name, they're pretty awesome. If you're interested but want a few more options outta it, kerry, a guy on UG, offers modded ones for 150 USD. I'm thinking of gettin one from him myself, cause I'm too lazy to do it myself. Let me know if ya are, and I'll link ya.

My opinion: You're looking for 5 watt-ish amps for power tube saturation that's neighbor friendly-ish. Still pretty loud. Half as loud as a 50 watt tube. Anything higher than 5 might piss off your neighbors.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Mar 2, 2007,
thanks for all the help. I must say, this is an awesome forum and i might stick around. I got a dozen or so replies in like 25 minutes. Rock on guys. forsaknazrael does that guy who mods those amps have a website? Linky?
Well, if you want quality..

Emery MicroBaby, Emery SuperBaby, Dr Z Mini Z, all the variations of the Fender Champs (originals), Marshall 1974X, Marshall 2061X, Bad Cat Mini Cat, H&K Cream Machine, Mesa Boogie Express 5:25

All of them play like a dream.
You'll definitely want less than 10 watts if you want to crank anything at a reasonable volume. I can turn up my 6 watt Champ just to the point of breakup (at 6 on the dial), and that's when it starts getting too loud for practicing with others in the house.

Will you be using this amp for playing with a drummer? You will have to settle for a bit more powerful amp then.

The only <10 watt amps I know of (that aren't boutique) are the Zvex Nano, the Epiphone Valve Junior, and the amp I have; Fender Champ (there's a Vibro-Champ, too). Check on eBay, I can almost guarantee you there will a few Champs for sale in your area, they will usually cost around 400$. Just ask if you want more information about them.
Quote by TehJermie
^Who is this guy, and what mods does he do to them?

His username here is: call1800ksmyazz
Pretty knowledgable dude. Builds pedals and stuff.

I just checked his newest site...Now it seems he just gives ya a mod kit, which I think is still awesome. So if you buy the head, you can do all the mods listed on his site here:
http://www.stowned.se/affectronix/valvejuniorplus.html

15 watts of tube will get ya over a drummer, btw.
If you've got up to $700 to spend, and you're mostly looking to record, and you're not into metal, you may want to look into some vintage amps. You could pick up two or three (or more!) on eBay for your money. I've got all the amps listed in my sig, but I find that I play a 60's Premier amp that I was just fortunate enough to stumble across most of the time at home. Tomorrow, I'm planning to buy a Silvertone 1482 (I'll post pics if I do!).

Hit up eBay, and search guitars>amplifiers for Silvertone, Magnatone, Airline, Valco...

Once you get started, they'll recommend more searches for you. My "watch list" is about 20 items long.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
My parents get annoyed awhen I have my VJ combo at 9 o'clock, and that's not even close to being cranked, so I'd recommend a VJ.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
hey all thanks again for the help

im making a trip to the twin cities in a week or so (i think). Its the nearest guitar center. Im pretty excited as i've never been in a music store with more than about 10 guitars

Anyway, im hoping to try out the Epi VJ, Gibson LP jr, and the fender blues/pro jr's.

if all goes well, im hoping to make my decision then, and maybe even take one home! if the price is right.
It's expensive, but I can't think of a better amp - The THD univalve.

You can basically put any that has been used in a guitar amp into this baby, only exception is that el84's need an adaptor - yellowjacket will do the trick. It sounds so good, has high and low voltage modes for the valves, noise filter (it's just a light, nothing fancy and doesn't suck tone) and a built in attenuator - you can take it down to line level. It's class A, if you're not a fan of class A then there's the bi-valve which is push pull AB, it's more expensive though.

I'd say the best thing about this amp is that it has a 'grit' dial, might actually be called something else but it basically lets you choose how much 'fizz' there is in the sound. On 0 it's oh so smooth, yet still full of sustain, on full it gives a nice aggressive rock or metal tone. My only real complaint is that it just has hi and low eq, no mid control. But other than that it's fantastic.

They do a head and cab, and a combo, but like I said it's a lot.