Page 1 of 2
OK, I've been playing guitar for 6 years, and lately, I've been getting into the knowledge of how your guitar actually functions (I'm learning about woods, types neck options [string-thru, etc.]) and whatnot, and now my focus is turned towards amplifiers. My question is this:

Why do people prefer Marshall amplifiers so much over every other type of amp? I've tested out Marshalls, and I don't really like them that much. Is it because of their effects? It can't be, because Line 6 has a trillion effects *exaggerating* on one amp, and Marshall has like, 4 max. It can't be the distortion either, because distortion in amps aren't heavy enough.

So what's up with the Marshall obsession? What am I missing?
Hmmm.... you must of tried one of the Marshall MG series. Shoddy over priced beginner amps.

Try an all tube Marshall Full stack. Something like a JCM or the upcoming JVM.

It's really hard to explain the feeling... you just gotta try it.
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
Marshall's just a strong name brand, that's all. There are tons of better amps than Marshall, for example : Orange (Which to me, seem to be the new-age of Marshall. Damn good amps), Peavey, Mesa/Boogie, Crate, Hughes And Kettner, Krank.

Marshalls can get great tones, don't get me wrong. It seems lately they've been slackin' (my own opinion), but hell. There's always something better.

Marshalls good, and is a reliable amp manufacturer
Current Gear :
Jackson USA Made SL1 Soloist (SnakeSkin Finish)
Jackson Jap Made SL1 Soloist!
You have much to learn, young padawan.

Line6 uses digital technology to make their stuff. At this point in time, digital is vastly inferior to vacuum tube technology.

The good Marshalls are all-tube (and no, many people dislike marshalls/prefer other amps).
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
This is exactly how I feel. Don't get me wrong, Marshall is a very good amp producer however there are much better amps. Engl, Mesa and a hundred boutique amps blow Marshall out of the water.

So to answer your question, It's the name and history. The amps themselves are good but most of the time, aren't the best.
I personally think their cleans are their strongest points. Marshall cleans are simply amazing. The crunch is awesome too.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
I've been hearing alot about these Orange amps, I haven't seen any at all D:!
Member of 7-string Legion
Wields S7320

. .___.
. (O,o)
. /)__)
. ^ ^

. O rly?
Quote by jessejames1414
I've been hearing alot about these Orange amps, I haven't seen any at all D:!

Me too. Maybe they don't exist and UG just lies to us. Maybe...
Gear...
Is there some secret guitar society I haven't been invited to yet? XD
Member of 7-string Legion
Wields S7320

. .___.
. (O,o)
. /)__)
. ^ ^

. O rly?
I'm a proud Melon amp user...

Melons > Marshalls

...melons ftw...mwuahha..

Quote by jessejames1414
Is there some secret guitar society I haven't been invited to yet? XD

You know nothing [/jedi mind trick].
Current Gear :
Jackson USA Made SL1 Soloist (SnakeSkin Finish)
Jackson Jap Made SL1 Soloist!
not everyone prefers marshalls. i dont, i prefer fenders and dumbles, but i cant afford a dumble
but of course when most people think of hard rock tone, there generally thinking of hendrix, clapton, page, young, and so many others that shaped, and defined hard rock with marshall.
Last edited by rixills at Mar 2, 2007,
A lot of people like Marshalls because they've been around forever-they're trusted and put out great tones.
Marshall represents the old 80's hard rock and heavy metal sound. That's why they are so good.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

ah man im so sick of this arguement. First of all, effects are the last reason that someone would buy a marshall. People who favor marshalls are people who play ex: blues, or rock in general that isnt that heavy. You cant say that people wont buy marshalls for the distortion becuase its not heavy enough. Especailly when your a fan of bands like Slayer. People buy marshalls for the tone, and they like the natural distortion that you can get out of the tubes, which uusally doesnt work for metal
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Classic Wine Red (beautiful)

Marshall vintage Jcm 800 50 watt lead combo

Fender Standard Mexican strat

Fender FM65 amp

Dunlop Cry Baby wah
Quote by DeathForAll
Why do people prefer Marshall amplifiers so much over every other type of amp?

They do!?? Since when?
well mostly they are the gibsons of amps they dont have to be that good they have the name however this isnt strictly true they do make awesome amps sometimes (minus mg series) and if u actually try them beside other amps they do tend to come out on top
Quote by DeathForAll
OK, I've been playing guitar for 6 years, and lately, I've been getting into the knowledge of how your guitar actually functions (I'm learning about woods, types neck options [string-thru, etc.]) and whatnot, and now my focus is turned towards amplifiers. My question is this:

Why do people prefer Marshall amplifiers so much over every other type of amp? I've tested out Marshalls, and I don't really like them that much. Is it because of their effects? It can't be, because Line 6 has a trillion effects *exaggerating* on one amp, and Marshall has like, 4 max. It can't be the distortion either, because distortion in amps aren't heavy enough.

So what's up with the Marshall obsession? What am I missing?
True Marshalls have a distinct OD which is really sweet - not to my tastes though, mind.

I've asked a guy whose lifelong dream is to own a Marshall stack why he likes them so much. He says they're iconic, and people will know them even if they aren't guitarists.

Possibly the worst reason to buy an amp. You buy it for tone, and my ideal tone is a Fender Twin Reverb with a USA Big Muff. I don't care if nobody knows what it is, it sounds great to me, although I must admit the name of the Big Muff is a turnon
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
I've asked a guy whose lifelong dream is to own a Marshall stack why he likes them so much. He says they're iconic, and people will know them even if they aren't guitarists.
yeah that is pretty stupid. at some point, marshalls became some of the most widely available and recognizable amps. regardless of whether they deserve it, it seems like once a brand gets to the top, the residual recognition will keep them there perpetually. i have never played on a marshall, not even an MG.. so i have no comment. i know that bill steer got some incredible tone out of his marshalls, including a 30th anniversary head.. so i would definitely like to try one someday.
Originally posted by Geetarbumb
I think your screwed ! You should quit guitar and take up the skin flute!
Quote by abcdboy
I personally think their cleans are their strongest points. Marshall cleans are simply amazing.

WHAT?! Tell me you're being sarcastic

Marshall have a strong pedigree, they are iconic in every way possible, and their tone is synonymous with rock. There are *better* amps out there, particularly in workmanship, marshall transformers aren't the most hardy, but it's up to personal choice there.

Quote by zep_411
You cant say that people wont buy marshalls for the distortion becuase its not heavy enough. Especailly when your a fan of bands like Slayer.

You do realise that slayer use marshalls? And they crank the mids. They might not anymore, I'm not a fan of them so I don't follow their stuff, but that's what they did back in the day.

Orange amps were good, but when people say vintage orange they actually mean Matamp, because the guy that used to make orange amps good started Matamp. Contemporary orange amps are decent though.

In terms of marshalls, stear clear of the MG series, the AVT's are reasonable, but there are better hybrids. The DSL and TSL series are ok. The new models - vintage modern and JVM look promising. vintage modern is basically going back to the early models, but they are reliable and versatile. The JVM I have tried, it does a lot of stuff, and the tone isn't bad either. It's really the fusion of the mode four with a TSL, and ain't bad.
Quote by lowtek
regardless of whether they deserve it, it seems like once a brand gets to the top, the residual recognition will keep them there perpetually.

Fender/Gibson anyone?
If u add a boosting pedal the marshall will do anything. Damn good old Killem all days was the shit. ****ing luv the tone now its all about mesa's or peavey . They still good brands though.

Marshall is a legend man, they been around since......, ever.
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
Ok when you go to a concert, which seems to be more of a monolith? A wall of all tube marshall stacks fully cranked, or an orage cabinet? I'm sure there are better amps out there, but people have grown attached
Quote by sylent
If u add a boosting pedal the marshall will do anything. Damn good old Killem all days was the shit. ****ing luv the tone now its all about mesa's or peavey . They still good brands though.

Marshall is a legend man, they been around since......, ever.

I know that Marshalls can become heavily distorted... Karl Sanders of Nile uses Marshall. However there are other amps that can do heavy distortion much much better without any pedals.
eg: Engl Powerball.

And besides, I always hated Metallica's tone on that album.
Quote by isotone
WHAT?! Tell me you're being sarcastic

Not sarcastic at all. I like Marshall cleans and crunches.
Gear...
Chiming in as a Marshall owner..... actually soon to be EX Marshall owner.......I'm going to trade out the TSL for an Orange AD30HTC. TONE !

Nothing wrong with a nice top shelf Marshall for Rock.... and especially LEAD. They sing really nice if you know how to use em.

But if you're at the stage of playing where you're looking for or care about TONE....... then there's several Amps around the same price range that CRUSH Marshalls.

Ever since I got my Vox AC30 Head and Alnico Cab..... the Shortcomings of my Marshall have been VERY APPARENT. The Vox has TONE out the A$$. Maybe not the over-the-top scream you can get from a Marshall..... but it Kills my Marshall HANDS DOWN.

OF course it's a matter of personal taste..... but if you really were able to line up some of the best TONE rock Crunch amps.....

Matchless ...... gotta have some bucks.....around $3000 for Head.
Orange
Vox AC30.... but you gotta pony up the extra $$$ for the Blue Alnico's.
Vintage Marshall Plexi.

Just my 2 cents worth..... I've played Marshalls for years.... always wanted one..... got em.... now they've been replaced by the Vox and the Orange

The ever lasting pursuit of Tone.
96 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
95 Strat w/ Lindy Fralins
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
The reason why Marshalls are so big today is because of yesterday. Thats the only reason. If we brainwashed and deleted Marshall-Amplification from everyone's brains, and re-introduced all of the crap they sell today, they'd just be like anoter Crate or something. And the reason why they WERE so great was because they are, imo, the perfect workhorse for creating a unique sound in front of a wall of 4x12's to be proud of.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Last edited by LightningRider at Mar 2, 2007,
I'm not too familiar with Marshalls (too lazy to try them), so I tried my first one today. It was a Vintage Modern half stack. So I plugged a Gibson SG '61 Reissue and *ORGASM*, I didn't see (hear?) that kind of awesomeness coming, never heard such a beautifully flowing sound in my whole life. It's like God hand-made that thing... If I had $3000 I'd get this in an instant.

Anywho, It's all based on personal preference, some people like them, some don't. I, for one, love them. Even though I said all of that, I still like Fender's alot more, they just have a sound better suited for me (HotRod DeVille 410 FTW)
even though marshall is known for their awsome distored tones i suggest you go out and try a plexi with a great strat. you will orgasm is ur pants. better then any clean ever. then pump it and hear the beautiful crunch come out. you can enevr say marshalls suck because although they may not suit you they suit some one else perfectly. if it wasnt for marshal you wouldnt even have your mesa boogies and engls or oranges. marshall started it all and you have to recognise that.
try a Marshall Valvestate VS100. tats wat i got all my friends love it
We may be divorced..... but we're still cousins

I came 2nd in the January 2007 Punk-0-Matic Tournament
Quote by Rankles
I frequently put capes on all my teeth and they go out fighting crime together.
Quote by pugnapugnapugna
Fender cleans bend Marshall cleans over and make them their bitch.

This is gonna sound really retarded, but to me the cleans sound different. Both are really good, but I think they should be used for different types of music.
Gear...
My Bottom line on marshalls. Unless you crank out the cash, It's a waste of money. If it's a solid state, It's a waste of money. If the amp has the letters MG on it, IT'S AN EXPENSIVE PEICE OF FIREWOOD! The end. =D
Blessed be he who sat on the bee, For he shall rise again!
marshalls arent that expensive were im at, thay are the cheapest decent tube amps i could find although i didnt look extremely hard.
i got mine for $2000 australia, how much they run in the us?
yes and probably the biggest reason people like marshall is because of the name.
but its all personal preference when it comes to tone, i liked mine over the amps i tried out next to it so i bought it.
Well. The Triple Super Lead just happens to be an orgasmic amp. =P Yeah, I think that's about right in australia.
Blessed be he who sat on the bee, For he shall rise again!
Quote by King ofKumbucha
I know that Marshalls can become heavily distorted... Karl Sanders of Nile uses Marshall. However there are other amps that can do heavy distortion much much better without any pedals.
eg: Engl Powerball.

And besides, I always hated Metallica's tone on that album.

Hell yea Engl Powerball one of the best amp out there .
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
moved
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Personally, I'd rather spend the $400 for the Peavey Windsor head, the $80 to retube it, and $100 on an OD pedal than fork out $1700 for a JVM or a Vintage Modern.

That's just my taste though.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Page 1 of 2