Hi everyone, please forgive my lack of knowledge but I'd appreciate it if someone would give me some advice on this.

I've just bought a new Mexican Fender Strat and I've noticed that the note made by the thickest E string varies wildly according to how much pressure I use to fret it.

What could be causing this?

Thanks in advance
Fat fingers.

You don't need to press down with all your strength - just enough to make the note sound without buzzing.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
If you think about it the note will go sharp because the fret acts like a fulcrum for the string so the harder you push the more you bend the string over the fret stretching the string out and sharpening the note. Part of learning the guitar is learning how much pressure you need to apply in different situations and being able to do it consistently.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
OK, I thought I'd persevere with the super-soft-fretting approach, but it's not making much of a difference.

It seems far too extreme - I mean when I stick a capo on the fifth fret it goes horribly out of tune, surely that indicates a setup problem? The intonation is fine.
Your capo is probably too tight, there are a lot of cases like this, pushing the strings sharper coz too much pressure is applied.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
Your capo is probably too tight, there are a lot of cases like this, pushing the strings sharper coz too much pressure is applied.

You really don't get that problem though unless you have jumbo frets or a scalloped fretboard, I never have any troubles with my Les Paul or my acoustic. And even if you're capo is too tight, you can always retune it with the capo on there.
Even on small frets, when i capo my acoustic it gets sharp coz mine is just too tight. May not notice it with your ears but the tuner will.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Put your capo further away from the fret...

What size frets do you have?

You're going to have to learn to play a little lighter
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Mine used to do this one the first 2 frets because the nut was too high. I just had to get it set up is all.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've got a Jim Dunlop clip-on capo so I can't adjust the tightness.

Thanks especially to the last poster... it seems the problem is much worse on the frets nearest the neck. I'm also getting a bit of rattle at the nut, most noticably with the A string, but also with the D and G strings. Looks like I have nut trouble

Any suggestions other than take it into a guitar shop?
Last edited by sammyd56 at Mar 5, 2007,