not sure if this is the right place to post but here goes.
i have been trying to sing and play lately...with simple songs that have real easy rhythm i can do it but the majority of songs i cant...any advice?
Quote by Shea Donoghue

Then, about two minutes later of just plowing, I can feel it coming. She's still moaning and rolling back, and then I pull out. I grab her by her hair, pull her head up, and yell out:
"BOOM, HEADSHOT!"
I totally know what you mean, it's like rubbing your stomach and patting your head, I struggle to sing and play as well. Damn multitasking! Curse my manliness!
Quote by kriscornella2@g
I know i wish i was as cool as you and be into Sum 41 and Taking back Sunday. Gaylord.

Quote by civildp1
you should call one of the songs, "Respecting Old People" just to mix things up.

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
You just made a very powerful enemy BenFoffenbock.
maybe if i was a female i could do it...i hear they r great at multi tasking. the only sort of stuff i can sing and play is punk sort of stuff at the moment
Quote by Shea Donoghue

Then, about two minutes later of just plowing, I can feel it coming. She's still moaning and rolling back, and then I pull out. I grab her by her hair, pull her head up, and yell out:
"BOOM, HEADSHOT!"
make sure you can play the guitar parts totaly by reflex, if you know what i mean, so you only have to think about the singing
I can't play riffs when I sing (Rusty cage is quite hard to play and sing at the same time for me for example) but I can sing over chords or very simple melodies on the G B or E strings
I guess it all depends on how much you practice

and merten is totally right when you sing you got to be like a machine playing on your guitar if you see what I mean just focus on your singing
Remember, you're a guitarist, not a singer. By this I mean that the guitar playing should come second nature to you and you shouldnt have to think about it. And once you stop thinking about what you have to play you wont have any problems singing.
Try "where the river flows" by Collective Soul. It's in drop C, but hey.... very nice.
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
thats why i have tremendous respect for musicians like james hetfield... to play that fast and be able to sing at the same time is something i HIGHLY doubt i will ever be able to do. riffing at that speed takes 110% of my concentration.
Quote by BenFoffenbock
I totally know what you mean, it's like rubbing your stomach and patting your head, I struggle to sing and play as well. Damn multitasking! Curse my manliness!

I can sing pretty good while playing.. I don't find it hard.
Green Day stuff is actually a good place to start if you want to advance from bog-standard campfire singing 'n strumming. The rhythms are pretty straightforward but there's still a bit of work involved, just enough to challenge you a little more.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
simple punk songs ftw!

blitzkrieg bop, search n destroy etc.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
practice right hand separately until you can play that rhythm in your sleep.

then play&sing or hum along the original version of the song and don`t worry if you mess up something. it`ll get better
You have to be able to hear both the guitar part and the vocal melody simultaneously. I'd do it by listening to the song a lot if it's a cover you want to do. Aside from that, learn the guitar part so well that you can play it more or less subconsciously. Then maybe try some basic multitasking like, say, playing the guitar and watching TV at the same time. If you need inspiration, look to Alexi Laiho.
Every time you sit down to "practice" without a metronome, God kills a kitten.
You've got to reach a level of skill where playing the guitar is almost a non-effort.

At first, I really struggled to play the simplest Oasis songs and sing, but now I can start playing riffs and singing. It's simply a case of building up as your skill improves.

Obviously, if you're playing something near the edge of your ability, you haven't a prayer of singing at the same time.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
You've got to reach a level of skill where playing the guitar is almost a non-effort.

At first, I really struggled to play the simplest Oasis songs and sing, but now I can start playing riffs and singing. It's simply a case of building up as your skill improves.

Obviously, if you're playing something near the edge of your ability, you haven't a prayer of singing at the same time.

i totally agree with you dude~ it takes time to improve your skills~ but there's this song that i never manage to cover the vocals and rhythm at the same time~ its drive by incubus~ lol or mayb i'm juz a noob
play random chords and sing about random stuff, improvise, it will help you get better at it trust me
i can only sing and play at the same time when playing ska (and since i have no band at the moment that is indeed what im playing)

to start off try some sublime:
date rape
what i got
santeria
doin' time

those seem pretty easy to me... get the guitar down perfectly and then the vocals and then mix

if you want the tone:
reverb- 4
treble-10
mid-0
bass-7
and a hint of chorus
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Try playing "A Favor House Atlantic" by Coheed, do the rhythm part (Claudio Sanchez's part), if you can sing and play that first try, you have a chance at playing and singing, if not, give up lol

By the way, it's the only song I can sing too and play along with...

I need help on that too lol
Quote by Merten
make sure you can play the guitar parts totaly by reflex, if you know what i mean, so you only have to think about the singing

yea what he said make it so you can play the guitar part without even thinking about it. then if that still doesnt work, try slowing it down really slow, use a metronome and make it faster and faster or something and that should do it.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Remember, you're a guitarist, not a singer. By this I mean that the guitar playing should come second nature to you and you shouldnt have to think about it. And once you stop thinking about what you have to play you wont have any problems singing.

It also helps soooo much if you know the lyrics like the back of your hand, because having to drum up words while you're playing is a sure recipe for disaster.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA