hey guys wondering if any one uses the pinky in the blues scale past the octave ( eg: e and b string/ 4 frets away from where index finger is)
Yes.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Yes, of course. I use my 4th finger wherever required.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by striker327
i ment for something like SRV

Why would it change just because it's an SRV song?
I use my pinky all the time, I'm rather strict...
I use my pinky and my brain.

NARF.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Use your pinky every chance you get. Even if you don't need to when playing a blues scale, it is good to do it anyway.
Yes, but I don't do bends with it. 0.013's can hardly be bent with the pinky.
I only use it if i have to do a long reach and 4 frets past the octave is rather short distance
Gear:

Ibanez SoundGear SR300DX Bass

Digitech BP200
yeh the thing is i use my pinky before the octave, but i dont want to screw up my technique/ pattern of using the pinky, since i used to use 123 instead of 1234. will this screw up tryin to get into the habit?
nah, just play what you feel comfortable playing. As long as you have a good hand position everything is fine
Gear:

Ibanez SoundGear SR300DX Bass

Digitech BP200
Generally, use your pinky as long as you possibly can without it getting really uncomfortable. Push what you can use it for. I don't think anybody really regularly uses it to bend notes, but other then that, your pinky can hypothetically be used for pretty much everything. Generally, you wont use it for everything, but it's good to get your pinky strength up in case you have no choice but to use it for something.

I basically stopped using it above the 12th fret for awhile, and I'd say it's inhibiting me now, and a bitch to relearn.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
well for SRV licks i use my pinky instead of my ring finger because i can get it fast and the quality is a lot better im just confused with what i should use for up when the frets get smaller but i don't want to screw with my technique with what i do before the octave so im basically saying is it prossible
Last edited by striker327 at Mar 2, 2007,
Quote by Revalk
Generally, use your pinky as long as you possibly can without it getting really uncomfortable. Push what you can use it for. I don't think anybody really regularly uses it to bend notes, but other then that, your pinky can hypothetically be used for pretty much everything. Generally, you wont use it for everything, but it's good to get your pinky strength up in case you have no choice but to use it for something.

I basically stopped using it above the 12th fret for awhile, and I'd say it's inhibiting me now, and a bitch to relearn.

so what do u use before the octave now?

P.S sorry to bring this thread up again
yeh, well i can do both its just the quality is better and its easier to play with my pinky but cant decide on what to use for past the octave