My band is going to compete in a kind of Battle of the Bands-competition in a month or so. The timelimit is 10 mins and we're planning to play 2 songs. I'll play electric guitar on one of 'em and acoustic on the other. My question is if you're supposed to plug the acoustic into the PA or the amp? I use no pedals or such. What do you say?
Yeah I got busted so I used my one phonecall to dedicate a song for you on the radio - Jens Lekman
Um..... Depends
Some amps just aren't cut out to sound well with an acoustic, and therefore would sound better through the PA. Can you test out the acoustic/amp combo and see how it sounds? Or possibly even the acoustic/PA combo?
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Depends, if you have an amp designed to played with an acoustic guitar go with that or else, going right in to the P.A. might be best or just micing it up through the P.A. will give you the best all around acoustic sound.
Hmm, I don't think I'll be able to do that at the place the competition will take place, but I'm gonna try both ways in our rehearsal space. We've got a quite shitty PA and two Marshall half stacks there.
Yeah I got busted so I used my one phonecall to dedicate a song for you on the radio - Jens Lekman
I'd use a bass amp. It works and theres no feedback.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Me and my two mates played an accoustic gig with all three guitars plugged into the PA, if you take away the fact that we're pretty sucky it sounded great!
Bass Player