Hey guys,

I have had enough of having an awesome amp (ENGL screamer 50) and not having a guitar that will do it justice so I have looked around and I am in decision between a PRS ('lower' model like a CE24/22 or 20th aniversary) and a Fender USA strat.

I am faily clued up about the Fender side of thing as they are as common as dirt in my area so I know what might change from model to model and how the necks feel etc. I do not know so much about PRS, I have tried a Modern Eagle (which nearly gave me an errection cos if felt so good) but it was not amped up so I dont really have an idea about tone etc.

Anyway, my questions are:

What neck carve would be most similar to a Fender Modern 'C' neck profile? I'm guessing a standard or a Wide Thin?

What affect does the 3 way pup switching with the coil tap have on my tone compared to the 5 way selecter pot? They look nicer with the pot IMO .

Thanks in advace for anything you can tell me about PRS and what models are the best and stuff like that.

Ash
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
A Prs Custom 24.... That guitar is so god damn versitile its not funny! You can go from Blues to Metal with the twist of a knob, you'd nearly think its amp modeling like!! Not too sure of the cost but damn its so worth it!
I can't vouch for all PRS models, but I've played the Custom 22 and Swamp Ash and owned the Santana SE and all of them had the C-shaped neck.

you can't go wrong with any PRS, especially if you're playing a crappy or mid-level guitar, they'll all play and sound incredible to you.

also, you could check out the SE versions. they're a fraction of the cost and would be a cheaper venture of putting new pups in and getting a proper set-up. after all that, you would be saving around $1000. I loved my Santana SE, I threw a couple Dragon II pups in there and the sound wasn't distinguishable from my buddies Custom 22. of cuorse, the finish on his was brilliant, but it's just paint.
As far as your term, "lower", the lower end of PRS guitars are their SE models. They're not carved tops, have different woods, staining, etc. Still damn good guitars though. The CE would be the step up from that. They have bolt on neck set ups with different types of wood from the body. Then we have the Customs and Singlecut models. Custom 22's/24's can be set up with a tremolo or stop tail bridge. Along with different options like abolone bird inlayes or taped of sides giving the edges the natural line look around the guitar. The Singlecut's can be set up the same way (i.e. Singlecut Trem, or just Singlecut).

Ebay hooks these models as follows (on average): SE- $500 , CE- $1100, Custom 22/24- $1500-$1900, Singlecut- $1800- you name it.

Check 'em out!
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
custom 24 in emerald green, sexiest guitar on the planet.
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
Quote by guitaristclass
I do not know so much about PRS, I have tried a Modern Eagle (which nearly gave me an errection cos if felt so good) but it was not amped up so I dont really have an idea about tone etc.

definitely boner inducing, orgasmic thru a good amp. However, did you happen to see the pricetag?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Tone-wise you can't go wrong with a PRS.

They have lots of attack and are very full without becoming muddy or chunky. Its like taking a Strat and a Les Paul, mixing both of their best elements together and then kicking your dick right into the dirt.

They're beautifully made guitars. I want one so bad it hurts.

The standard neck profile should be closer to fender than the wide/thin, because fenders don't have wide and thin necks.

They're definitely good/great guitars. Expensive, but they're almost worth it (unlike expensive gibsons, custom shop jackson/esp/etc)
Quote by senor_penguin
custom 24 in emerald green, sexiest guitar on the planet.

I have to agree that is just damn sexy.

I can't pull off saying that can I?
My friend has an old PRs from like 92-93 and that thing is the greatest guitar I have ever played.And I mean EVER.
The Standard 22 and 24 are the "lowest" high-end PRS guitars. Next are the CE 22 and 24, followed by the Custom 22 and 24.

I own a Custom 22 (emerald green flame top, 3 way switch and push poll tone pot).

For me, the 3 way switch is better than the rotary selector because it makes it easier for me to switch to my neck or bridge pickup in the middle of a song.

The PRS is a pretty versatile guitar. Being mahogony with humbuckers, it gets a gibson-ish tone (although not as bassy as a LP, IMO). Still, the coil tapping can get you great fendery single coil tones too. I LOVE my PRS.

As for the models, if you're also considering a Fender I'd recommend that you get a PRS with coil tapping.
PRS Custom 22
Epiphone LP Custom
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T

Fender PT-100 Tuner
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon
Digitech Tone Driver
MXR Phase 100
Ernie Ball VP Jr Volume Pedal

Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Road King
'69 Fender Super Bassman
My teacher owns a Custom 24, and he loves it. He said he was shopping around for guitars, picked it up and said "that's it" and that nothing plays better. I played a Modern Eagle today, and it was pretty nice.
High as tits
my custom 22 is amazing. and I have split coils so I can get humbucking ad single coil sounds.
Thanks guys!

I phoned up the nearest PRS dealer in my area and they have a sale ont hem at the moment ^^.

They have 2 singlecuts, a custom trem and a goldtop, the goldtop is half price as it is old stock (£1299 to be exact). Im not a huge fan of the singlecuts so i prefer the sound of the 1 peice mahogany 20th aniversary they have in there. Im going to try them out this coming thursday as it is the only day i have free.

Looking forward to it .

Oh, the Eagle io played was about £4000-£5000 i think 0_o.
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
ye ye ye PRS rule blah blah blah. But would you not rather have an american strat, cos i would. I would never pick a PRS over an american strat, EVER. But thats just me, prefer strats to everything, so i think you should go with the fender, deffo

D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

i have a SE-custom that i got for $475 new. love it to death, pretty versatille. only complaint is the neck is wide-fat. would have perferred wide-thin but, its not that big of a deal, can still shred quite easily on this guitar. yet to have someone play it that wasn't impressed with it either.
very much pref. but the iconic sounds of Since Ive Been Loving You live, L.P and that SLP

CANNOT be matched by anything even today
Quote by chirch
i have a SE-custom that i got for $475 new. love it to death, pretty versatille. only complaint is the neck is wide-fat. would have perferred wide-thin but, its not that big of a deal, can still shred quite easily on this guitar. yet to have someone play it that wasn't impressed with it either.

I have played a few SE singlecuts (pre lawsuit models) and they were nice, I have also played a charcoal SE custom and they were nice, but not to the same kind of standard as a Fender American Strat or higher models of PRS.

Quote by davedoom
very much pref. but the iconic sounds of Since Ive Been Loving You live, L.P and that SLP

CANNOT be matched by anything even today

I'm not trying to sound like Page, I'm trying to sound like myself... create my own sound
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH

/Thread
My Rig:
PRS SE custom
cube 60
Dual Rectifier Roadster (2X12 combo)
DR strings
EHX Multiplexer
Quote by guitaristclass

I'm not trying to sound like Page, I'm trying to sound like myself... create my own sound

not saying you should, thats just my pref.

Own sound all the way for me too!
I've played a couple of the PRS SE's. Real nice guitar for the price (was roughly $750 I think, perhaps a higher end one). I'd definitely recommend. Very versatile, very clean, very nice feel to it. Pretty bright, but sounds good with dark distortion on too.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Quote by notsojoeyb4eva
ye ye ye PRS rule blah blah blah. But would you not rather have an american strat, cos i would. I would never pick a PRS over an american strat, EVER. But thats just me, prefer strats to everything, so i think you should go with the fender, deffo

It's just preference. I happen to own both an American-made Strat and an American-made PRS. I'm actually starting to regret owning a PRS - it seems like every nu-metal, emo, and pop punk guy is going for the PRS/Mesa combo. But at least I don't own a Recto. Then I might as well put a bell around my neck and go graze. Also, Tele > Strat. Sorry.

BTW, I think the 3 way/push-pull combo has better, more useful tones than the rotary switch. I got rid of the rotary switch on mine in favor of that setup. The out-of-phase sounds do nothing for me, really. My personal favorite PRS is the McCarty Archtop - I love the semihollow body mixed with the smooth, velvet sounds of the McCarty pickups, which are leaps and bounds more versatile than the HFS/Vintage Bass combo that comes with the Custom 24 and Standard 24, and have a fuller clean tone than the Dragon II pickups that come with the Custom 22 and Standard 22.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Mar 6, 2007,
Quote by Dirk Gently
It's just preference. I happen to own both an American-made Strat and an American-made PRS. I'm actually starting to regret owning a PRS - it seems like every nu-metal, emo, and pop punk guy is going for the PRS/Mesa combo. But at least I don't own a Recto. Then I might as well put a bell around my neck and go graze. Also, Tele > Strat. Sorry.

BTW, I think the 3 way/push-pull combo has better, more useful tones than the rotary switch. I got rid of the rotary switch on mine in favor of that setup. The out-of-phase sounds do nothing for me, really. My personal favorite PRS is the McCarty Archtop - I love the semihollow body mixed with the smooth, velvet sounds of the McCarty pickups, which are leaps and bounds more versatile than the HFS/Vintage Bass combo that comes with the Custom 24 and Standard 24, and have a fuller clean tone than the Dragon II pickups that come with the Custom 22 and Standard 22.

I agree with the Tele > Strat, bt fender no longer make a telecaster with a buckerin the bridge. Otherwise I would have bought and married it by now .

I will have to play some, who knows i might prefer the strat
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH