As soon as I graduate from University with my chemistry degree and then get my PGCE (Teachers diploma) I want to move to America as a citizen. I want to move to LA and form a band there because I dont like the British music scene at the moment. I have been told in order to make my application for a Green Card more successful I would need to prove that I am eligble to find employment in the US.

Basically what I want to know is what is the average salary for a highschool chemistry teacher in the US?
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
I don't know what the number is exactly, but it's enough to comfortably live on generally. I dated a friend who's dad is a elementary school teacher and her mom is a teacher's assistant, and they have a very beautiful cozy house, 2 kids, and in general they're quite happy.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Is America still considered as the place to go to in order to make something of yourself, or make your dreams come true?...

just wondering
Manchester United Est. 1878

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
It should be a pretty decent job, not a ton of money, but a comforatble wage. Remember that all your savings in £ will be worth more $, so you'll have some extra cash there.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
It depends on where you teach. The NorthEast area tends to pay higher for educators and the SouthEast tends to be less. I havn't been to California, so I can't say I honestly know that area's pay, but its something you can find online. All of them do pay enough to get by comfortably, its not awesome pay, but your not broke
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
Quote by Gakusey
Oh god, I am shocked...

Me too, nobody has bashed the hell out of America yet.
"Suck my ass!"

- Zakk Wylde
Quote by screwup30
Is America still considered as the place to go to in order to make something of yourself, or make your dreams come true?...

just wondering

I have always wanted to live in America. The society seems to be much more free, a majority of people seem friendler (I went to West Virginia a few years back and the people were polite).

American business' have a better attitude towards customer satisfaction than their british counter parts.

The wheather is better... Its the last place my father would ever go (me and him dont see eye to eye).

I know the grass looks greener on the other side but yes there is an element of persuing my dreams there too. The music scene in the US is more varied than im Britian (from what I have seen) and I think I have more chance of making it over there than over here. Also, if I do make it over there, I would pay less tax on my earnings than if I made it over here. The more you earn, the more you are taxed here. I think the highest tax bracket is 40% for someone on £50 000+ a year (dont quote me on that).

Also, wider roads, better road systems, no traffic cameras that pwn the wallet.

Yea I see America as better place to live than Britain. I know it has bad aspects to it, but so does everywhere else.
Quote by Semmi
[looking at America on a globe] The land is so big. The choices so infinite. Where shall we go: L.A. or New York?

Quote by Bill43

I wouldn't know an Opeth song from an Egg McMuffin
Quote by Emrgncyguy7
Me too, nobody has bashed the hell out of America yet.

Well, I don't want to bash America, but the general idea of the thread is kind of shocking, but so very natural at the same time.
for rent
According to the American Federation of Teachers, beginning teachers with a bachelor’s degree earned an average of $31,704 in the 2003–04 school year.

They didn't have anything for just chemistry teachers but I assume all union teachers get paid close to the same thing.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Maybe you should stay in England. I guess schools there don't teach you how to use a telephone or the internet. I wouldn't want you as my teacher if you couldn't figure this one out.
i know here in minnesota teachers arent paid that much, its a comfortable wage, but nothing special
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Tha' Get Away Driva' of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

$31 000 dollars is plenty to get by on for a lone person.. (no marriage or kids for me). Thanks for the general help.

Quote by siksofus
Maybe you should stay in England. I guess schools there don't teach you how to use a telephone or the internet. I wouldn't want you as my teacher if you couldn't figure this one out.

Actually I did use the internet and I couldnt find an average wage for a highschool chemistry teacher. I found a wage bracket of 25-35 000 though but it wasnt specific enough as it was just for a "high school teacher."
Why do you all use a "per year" wage?! It's so uncomfotable!!!

We use a "per month" one. So I counted it as $2500 per month which is quite alright
for rent
Quote by Guitardude19
$31 000 dollars is plenty to get by on for a lone person.. (no marriage or kids for me). Thanks for the general help.

Not in LA. Their cost of living is pretty fucking high. 33% more then the national average and apartments average $735 a month.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Quote by aixelsydevahi
Not in LA. Their cost of living is pretty fucking high. 33% more then the national average and apartments average $735 a month.

..... I knew there would be a snag. Surely if the average monthly wage for a teacher is $2500, the rent wouldnt be too much of a problem. Also, wouldnt the wage of a teacher in LA be slightly higher to counter the higher cost of living?
Hehe, funny thing: a friend of mine also wants to go to California...

****ING HOLLYWOOD! Created a false image!

If I ever GO to America, I'd like to live in a normal area, like NY, Chicago, NE and such. Well, maybe Texas. BUT NOT California and Florida!
for rent
You really need to search for LA. So Cal is very expensive. The salary range you gave is not going to let you live very good there. I know in San Diego area studio apts. are about $1000 month. I have a 2yr degree and and make more than teachers in my city.
My brother teaches languages in high school in california, and he seems to be doing reasonably
Warwick Jazzman
Hartke 1415 140Watt
Boss Overdrive
Quote by siksofus
You really need to search for LA. So Cal is very expensive. The salary range you gave is not going to let you live very good there. I know in San Diego area studio apts. are about $1000 month. I have a 2yr degree and and make more than teachers in my city.

I see.

Well I need careful consideration in my move. I have more than one place I want to live. West Virginia being one of them.
Well I've been looking at a few more websites and the average salary for an elementary school teacher in LA is $54,478. That's a considerable amount more then $31,000. I'd assume that as a highschool teacher you'd make a little more eventually but not quite that much to start. $45,000 to start seems like a reasonable number to me.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917

Quote by siksofus
Teacher salaries in Los Angeles.

http://www.teachinla.com/whyteach/salary.html

$43 000 per annum. Starting out salary will be significantly less though. Gonna have to call up some high schools in a few years once I get my bachelors.
Quote by siksofus
anywhere else it would have been called the teethbrush

I found that quite funny

Anyways, how do you Yanks and Brits get payed?! You have to wait for a whole ****ing year to get the cash?! Or is weekly or something?!
for rent
$30,000 in Minnesota before taxes, but the cost of living in LA is way higher so it would be more. So what that translates to is that it is a little more than enough to get by. But they get constant raises, and have wonderful benefits, and have crazy retirement plans. But all in all it sounds like an ok idea god knows there are billions of schools there, and if our neighbors from the south can get green cards it shouldn't be the least bit challenging. And in 2 years I might be going to college out in LA. I just have to graduate highschool first.
Average wage for a teacher after tax is £18 778 and goes up to around £22 000 - 25 000. I think its monthly for a teacher.
Quote by Gakusey
I found that quite funny

Anyways, how do you Yanks and Brits get payed?! You have to wait for a whole ****ing year to get the cash?! Or is weekly or something?!

Normally every 2 weeks for us "yanks" and some jobs are every week.
Oh, every week... That's cool. I wish I got my scholarship every week... Gotta wait for a month!
for rent
Quote by Guitardude19
Average wage for a teacher after tax is £18 778 and goes up to around £22 000 - 25 000. I think its monthly for a teacher.

In the US they get paid every 2 wks. And we have school for 9 months, so there is an option to;

A) Get paid for 9 months of the year, and get bigger checks.
or
B) Get paid for 12 months of the year, and get smaller checks.
Quote by Matt.Chavie
In the US they get paid every 2 wks. And we have school for 9 months, so there is an option to;

A) Get paid for 9 months of the year, and get bigger checks.
or
B) Get paid for 12 months of the year, and get smaller checks.

12 months smaller checks lol... would be easier to manage the money.
I also wish to emmigrate to america maybe to Illinois or, Mass, either that or somewhere in Canada maybe ontario.
Quote by Matt.Chavie
But for 3 months a year you can get another job or teach summer school, basically if you have any questions just ask.

.... True that I could teach guitar on the side as well lol..
Quote by Guitardude19

Basically what I want to know is what is the average salary for a highschool chemistry teacher in the US?

Your gonna have to deal with alot of confused teenagers who have been having sex in the bathroom just after lunch break. Prepare yourself!
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.