K, so I'm looking to upgrade my pickups. I'm into metal mostly but I still value good cleans.

I've heard that EMG's are unmatched for metal tone (81/85 combo or 81/60 combo)

I've also heard that EMG's kind of suck in terms of getting good cleans.

Does anyone know any pickups that can compete with EMG's but might be more versatile? Maybe the Seymour Duncan JB/59 combo?
people overdo the "EMG's cant do cleans" thing, the 85 i own is warm and has really nice tone, and the 60 is meant to be even better
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
WHat amp do you have? because Emg's arent too noticable on SS amps, and you mean 60/81 and 85/81..
I run a 81/60/emg SA on my ibanez and I do fine all around, on some of my band's songs we have a clean intro and go into grinding hardcore stuff. I run it on a mesa boogie dual rect so that has its big roll aswell. 81/60 is good for cleans, dont sweat it.
a EMG 60 will be fine. you have to understand that when people give opinions, it's just what they are. and people's opinions are sometimes overly exaggerated to make a point. like saying "EMG's have terrible cleans" is an exaggeration of the truth. yeah, they may not sound as clean as a Duncan '59. but I'm sure it's good enough to get your through a set.

usually when people give an opinion they suggest 'best possible option', opposed to settling for anything less. keep that in mind.
I think the Duncan combo of the SH-11 Custom Custom(or SH-5 Duncan Custom)/SH-2 Jazz is better than the JB combo. You could use the '59 if you want slightly brighter neck tones. Versatile, and aggressive enough to do metal.
The Jazz or the '59 can get ya good cleans. The SH-11 cleans up better than the SH-5.
Go for the EMGs. They are fine.

Quote by forsaknazrael
I think the Duncan combo of the SH-11 Custom Custom(or SH-5 Duncan Custom)/SH-2 Jazz is better than the JB combo. You could use the '59 if you want slightly brighter neck tones. Versatile, and aggressive enough to do metal.
The Jazz or the '59 can get ya good cleans. The SH-11 cleans up better than the SH-5.

+1

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by shrediquette
I've heard that EMG's are unmatched for metal tone (81/85 combo or 81/60 combo)

EMG have no tone. Really, they are pretty lifeless. I don't know why EMGs are all the craze... they aren't that good at all. The Seymour Duncan Dave Mustaine livewires blow them straight out of the water.
I actually did some online research after making that first post and I'm not sure if its just shitty sound clips from EMG but their PUPs don't sound too great on their website....especially in comparison to the soundclips for the Livewire active PUPs that Seymour Duncan has on their website...both the dave Mustaine ones and the Metal ones.

I know that EMG can do decent cleans...I guess I was just wondering if there was anything else out there that would get the job done better, yet would still compare in terms of awesome metal tone.
Have you considered Bill Lawrence pick-ups? Dimebag used an L-500XL in the bridge. Seymour Duncan makes a pisspoor knock-off of it as the 'Dimebucker'. http://www.billlawrence.com/

The site seems to be down right now, but yeah... when it's back on take a look.
Quote by shrediquette
I actually did some online research after making that first post and I'm not sure if its just shitty sound clips from EMG but their PUPs don't sound too great on their website...

rocksolidamps has a bunch of soundclips for their amps, and a lot are using EMG pickups for the clips, as labeled in the descriptions.
http://www.rocksolidamps.com/index.php?contain=playlist&mid=155#
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by i_baked_cookies
EMG have no tone. Really, they are pretty lifeless.

Try playing them on a real amp. My 81 brought out the best in my Triple Recto as well as my JCM900.

Plus...they have good cleans as well. People just have the wrong mentality about them.
Quote by i_baked_cookies
EMG have no tone. Really, they are pretty lifeless.
.yyyeeeah okay....

like i said dude, EMG's arent bad at all for cleans, its just there IS BETTER out there
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I'd say that EMGs sound better if you don't scoop the fuzking mids, cuz they have none to begin with. In fact, if you turn the mids to max, you have even better tone, but you can't get the really good tones unless you get some pickups, instead of those bars of soap EMG sells.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Imo EMG's are way overrated. Sure, they have their uses, but I'd never put them into my main guitar. They really kill the dynamics of playing, and there are plenty other pickups that do metal stuff just fine without sounding as bland as EMG's do. To all of the people saying, "get a real amp like a dual recto before you judge them", well duh no sh*% Sherlock they'll sound good on a Mesa - know what, a noname squier pickup is going to sound good on a recto too

Seriously, there's plenty other great options out there, if you're willing to put in some effort to find something good.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
ya there are very good pick ups out there as nice as EMGs The Duncan Full Shred Dimarzio Distortion. Wolfetone Pick ups. BKs. But if you dont need versatility EMGs imo only do metal but they do metal damn good
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join