I am looking to buy some effects for my guitar (wah, reverb, etc.) However, I am debating on whether I should buy 1 unit that has all of these effects built in, or whether I should buy all of them seperately. Are the multi-effects unit on par with the individual units?

Thanks for the help

...also, on an unrelated note, what are 'active pickups'? I tend to see that phrase associated with EMG pickups....
I have never owned a multi-effect pedal but some of my friends do and personally I believe that the single pedals have a better sound.

And Active pickups add gain where as passive pickups dont. For example, the EMG 81 and the EMG HZ-h4 have the same tone however the 81, being active, adds gain and the h4 doesnt.
single pedals will always have a better soiund, but if you have little money multi-effects is the way to go...i reccomend ME-50 myself, it has nothing digital, all analog, so it gives very good sound.
"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams
build your own from single pedals, its more expensive but the sound is so much better
Quote by sargasm
I like to draw pictures of penises everywhere.

It makes me feel like a big man.

Proud owner of a fender deluxe player's strat - honey blonde/maple neck Here it is

Member of the Stratocaster Lovers Group
This gets asked every week it seems, and it's a pretty simple answer:
Multi-Effects Board:
Pros:
- Lots of effects for not too much money compared to buying all of the single pedals individually
- All one unit, don't have to lug around a dozen different pedals/adapters
Cons:
- The effects themselves are less versatile and powerful
- Can't always combine the exact settings you want, and they aren't always great for live gigs

Single Pedals:
Pros:
- Excellent sounds, options, and versatility (much better then a ME's unit genearlly)
- Can easily select as many or as few effects as you want, and it's easy to switch them on/off during live play
Cons:
- Have to buy more of them = Cost more
- Take up a lot of space and take long time to set up

So to sum it all up: ME's give you lots of effects for cheap, but not awesome quality. Single pedals give you awesome quality and more options, but cost a little more to buy them all individually.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I have never owned a multi-effect pedal but some of my friends do and personally I believe that the single pedals have a better sound.

And Active pickups add gain where as passive pickups dont. For example, the EMG 81 and the EMG HZ-h4 have the same tone however the 81, being active, adds gain and the h4 doesnt.

passive pickups do 'add gain'. thats why you get different outputs of pickups, however many windings on the coil is what determines gain in passive pickups. in EMG's they feature an internal preamp in the pickup which boosts the signal and cleans it so that the pickup is loud but very quiet. plus EMGs use a single ceramic magnet (instead of magnets with polepieces), which means that there is a balanced signal on all strings, and ceramic makes a good magnet for hot pickups, which is also another factor why they are high output.

in my opinion its well worth getting single pedals if you can afford to, as multi fx aren't nearly as good sounding (as they are more made to do impressions of single pedals anyhow). i also find that a lot of multi-fx pedals take over your whole tone, which basically ruins your tone.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
Last edited by ArcherTheVMan at Mar 2, 2007,
Quote by Revalk

- The effects themselves are less versatile and powerful
- Can't always combine the exact settings you want, and they aren't always great for live gigs

I'll have to make a correction here. In units like the GT-8 and G-System, the effects are much more versatile due to assigns and modifiers. For example, I can have my chorus depth change variably according to where I'm sweeping my wah. This simply cannot be done with singles.

Also, when you take the time to set up a multi correctly, the tones can be just as good if not better than singles, but all of this depends on the rig in use and what you're comparing it to (Danelectro FAB chorus VS the chorus on the TC Electronics G-Major...the FAB loses). For example, Mesa effects loops typically don't play well with units that cannot produce a 100% wet signal back into the loop. The GT-8 struggles with this, and the result is a very unbalanced effect tone. The dry kill function on the G-Major gets around this. So you really have to do your research and choose the correct unit for the application.

As for effects routing, it is true that some combinations cannot be had with some multi units. I'm a big fan of using two phasers and a univibe, but with the GT-8, there just aren't enough FX blocks to make it happen. The GT-8 has so many possibilities with FX routing though...for the most part, if you can imagine it, you can do it with this unit.

If you do decide to go multi, do not go low-end. Low-end and multi effect unit should never cross your mind as a good buy. The price point on the POD XTL and Boss GT-8 are low enough for consideration and both units have a great price/performance ratio. If you want, you can purchase singles for you wah and overdrive effects, and then use something like the G-Major in your effects loop for chorus, phaser, delays and other effects that are better suited for the loop. I plan on going this route soon.

And to correct Prototype4342, there is nothign analog about the ME-50 other than the input and output. Digital conversion happens at the first stage going in, and the digital signal is converted back to analog on the way out. The ME-50 uses the same processing from the GT-8. It's another unit to consider if price becomes and issue for you, and it does a pretty good job on effects as well.

EDIT: and about the pickups...active pickups simply use a preamp circuit of some sort to boost the signal directly from the guitar. These pickups are typically "colder" but use the preamp to boost the signal and make it "hotter" than regular magnetic pickups. Magnetic pickups have various levels of output dependent on type and size of magnet used, windings, size of the wire used in the windings, etc etc etc.
Last edited by TwoString at Mar 2, 2007,
Hm... interesting TwoString. I was generalizing, I realize. How much does a Boss GT-8 cost roughly? I've never checked the model out, but it sounds pretty powerful compared to most effects boards I've seen.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Quote by Revalk
Hm... interesting TwoString. I was generalizing, I realize. How much does a Boss GT-8 cost roughly? I've never checked the model out, but it sounds pretty powerful compared to most effects boards I've seen.

You can usually find them hovering around $375 or so depending on when and where you look. It's a pretty powerful unit, but sadly I have to get rid of mine since it won't play well with my Mesa. Let me just say that I was an analog/tube snob for a long time, and this unit completely turned me around on the subject. Sadly, there is so much this little board can do, you will more than likely never find a use for all of it. As a music production tool, I believe it can't be beat (when you really need an "out there" sound, this unit can do it).