okay, so, just started playing, and started to practise some scales and a little soloing, so i switch to my neck pup (EMG 85)

but the volume is like, fading in and out, like loud then quiet, loud then quiet. and there is that small popping sound every now and then, like when you leave your amp on and switch guitars.

question is do i need to change my battery? if not what?? lol

cheers
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
replace the batteries.
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
Change the batteries and if that doesn't work it might be your jack cable or input.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
hmm ihad the same problem, i tried numerous batteries. it wasn't the battery. what i did was a i reversed the jack on my guitar and the problem was fixed.....very weird i know.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
or even your lead
although batteries is most likely

Quote by Black60Jack
WTF is a scale any way.

it's not the lead, i can play my les paul fine with no problems.

Thing that sucks is when i got the EMG's put in, i dont think the guy kne wan awful lot about them so there is no cavity opening on the back of my guitar, other than where the springs for the floyd rose go...so im probably going to have to get the pickup taken out, battery replaced then pickup put back in lmao

cheers

any more advice would be cool if anyone else has light to shed on the situation?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

If you only have the 85 in the neck and a standard passive pickup in the bridge it is possible that you could have an interfearence problem between the two. In the EMG installation manual it speaks of this and explains how to wire an active and passive pickup. Try that. Alot of the time when you have active pickups, such as EMG's, "professionally" installed they install them incorrectly. So look in the body cavity of your guitar and compare it to the wiring in the installation manual. If you dont have the manual they are downloadable on EMG's website. Good luck!
joshuaestock.com
Quote by Yngwi3
it's not the lead, i can play my les paul fine with no problems.

Thing that sucks is when i got the EMG's put in, i dont think the guy kne wan awful lot about them so there is no cavity opening on the back of my guitar, other than where the springs for the floyd rose go...so im probably going to have to get the pickup taken out, battery replaced then pickup put back in lmao

cheers

any more advice would be cool if anyone else has light to shed on the situation?

I doubt you will have to take them out to replace the battery. It's probably in the control cavity under the vol/tone pots, or under the pickguard if you have one. unscrew the cover, and look in there first. BTW, I've seen switches start to go wonky and give those problems, see if wiggling it a little does anything.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Mar 2, 2007,
You didn't go into any details are to what guitar it was and what the control configuration is on it. And you didn't state for sure if this problem affected the bridge pickup as well, but it sounds like it only affects the neck pickup. If this is the case, I'd say you can almost safely rule out the battery or output jack, since they would affect both pickups.

The problem is more than likely somewhere between the pickup itself and the switch. It's highly unlikely that the pickups itself is the problem. I would suspect it's either the switch or the solder joint from the pickup to the switch. Alternately, I would check the red power wire to the battery supply to make sure it's soldered correctly.

Good luck.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by JEST87
If you only have the 85 in the neck and a standard passive pickup in the bridge it is possible that you could have an interfearence problem between the two. In the EMG installation manual it speaks of this and explains how to wire an active and passive pickup. Try that. Alot of the time when you have active pickups, such as EMG's, "professionally" installed they install them incorrectly. So look in the body cavity of your guitar and compare it to the wiring in the installation manual. If you dont have the manual they are downloadable on EMG's website. Good luck!

I have the 85/81 set installed in a H-S-H setup, i have kept the standard passive single coil in there- if it is interference it's strange that it only started doing it a while ago

Quote by Erock503
I doubt you will have to take them out to replace the battery. It's probably in the control cavity under the vol/tone pots, or under the pickguard if you have one. unscrew the cover, and look in there first. BTW, I've seen switches start to go wonky and give those problems, see if wiggling it a little does anything.

Ahh okay, lol, im unsure of what he did, but it works lol cheers for info

Quote by Crunchmeister
You didn't go into any details are to what guitar it was and what the control configuration is on it. And you didn't state for sure if this problem affected the bridge pickup as well, but it sounds like it only affects the neck pickup. If this is the case, I'd say you can almost safely rule out the battery or output jack, since they would affect both pickups.

The problem is more than likely somewhere between the pickup itself and the switch. It's highly unlikely that the pickups itself is the problem. I would suspect it's either the switch or the solder joint from the pickup to the switch. Alternately, I would check the red power wire to the battery supply to make sure it's soldered correctly.

Good luck.

Sorry about that, i was unsure of what info i had to provide. like i said just now i have the 85/81 set in a H-S-H setup.
You dont think it is the battery then?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace