I currently play on a powerball head with a madison 4 x 12 cab with Celestion Vintage 30 speakers. I also have a decimator pedal which seems to work great.

Now, I want to "customize" my sound a bit. Here are my ideas. Let me know what you think. Also, tell me if I am leaving something out, or should use a different brand.

I am torn between the dbx 131 graphic eq and dod 831qx eq. The dbx is a bit more $, but I believe (and I could just be ignorant) that the dod, with it being larger, I will have more ability to fine tune the eq due to the size of the tuners. The dbx is a one space rack and the dod is a 2 space. The sliders are about double the size on the dod.

I also want to get some reverb for my solos. The powerball doesn't have reverb. I was thinking about the Holy Grail Reverb pedal. However, is there a better alternative? Is there a reasonably price rack unit I should consider instead?

I was also thinking about a sonic maximizer, but do not know if that would be too similar to the eq.

I would also like to get a slight bit of chorus on my rhythm sound. Just a little bit. Again, what pedals or rack units should I consider?

Also, what is a compressor?

I know I am asking a lot of questions. I am 36 years old and jam just for fun. I played in the So Cal Hollywood scene in the late 80s, but do not know to much about the current technology.

Thanks for any assistance you can give.

Mike
I've heard good things about the dbx eq's and compressors. There is an Alesis rack EQ that is popular also, I forget the model number, but they are all over eBay. No experience with the dod.

Holy/Holier Grail sounds like a good choice for reverb, a lot of people seem to praise it around here. One of the better rack units for the money that I have found is the TC G-Major if you want a lot of fx in one unit. For reverb, I've heard Lexicon supposedly make a good unit, and I've used the Alesis units with some sucess. There are a lot of good rack units, but they start going up the scale in cost.

I personally like the sonic max with my amps, but it depends on the amp. Genocide has a PB, and he said the sonic max was kind of worthless with it, so I dunno. If you have an EQ already, it may not be your bag. It's something you really have to hear with your amp.

The G-Major I mentioned has some very nice stereo chorus, and TC is pretty well known for their chorus fx. EHX makes a good chorus pedal too.

compressor basically evens out the peaks of your sound, allowing the signal to be louder and lower parts to stand out more. The end result is it adds some fullness and sustain to the sound.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
I've heard good things about the dbx eq's and compressors. There is an Alesis rack EQ that is popular also, I forget the model number, but they are all over eBay. No experience with the dod.

Holy/Holier Grail sounds like a good choice for reverb, a lot of people seem to praise it around here. One of the better rack units for the money that I have found is the TC G-Major if you want a lot of fx in one unit. For reverb, I've heard Lexicon supposedly make a good unit, and I've used the Alesis units with some sucess. There are a lot of good rack units, but they start going up the scale in cost.

I personally like the sonic max with my amps, but it depends on the amp. Genocide has a PB, and he said the sonic max was kind of worthless with it, so I dunno. If you have an EQ already, it may not be your bag. It's something you really have to hear with your amp.

The G-Major I mentioned has some very nice stereo chorus, and TC is pretty well known for their chorus fx. EHX makes a good chorus pedal too.

compressor basically evens out the peaks of your sound, allowing the signal to be louder and lower parts to stand out more. The end result is it adds some fullness and sustain to the sound.

What would you recommend for a compressor?

Thanks
I haven't used a lot of compressors, so my experience is very limited. The G-Major has a compressor, and it works well for my purposes. I know dbx make a good compressor, and MXR makes one that's been popular for a long time. I was looking at a Keeley Compressor for a while, but it was a lot cash. Supposedly a very good unit however.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
ehx holier grail is an excellent choice for reverb, well sought after and often referred to when people talk about recording in mags