GAK.com selling a standard MEXICAN Fender Strat for £280?

yet, my local music stores are selling for £400!

it isn't a squire, it is THE same guitar..so why is GAK so cheap £120 English pounds cheaper to be exact! Anything i am missing!?
A good guitarist is one who questions himself, is critical of his abilities and is modest towards other peoples abilities and techniques.

Anyone els is from America.
GAK usually has some decent deals...you could just have found one such deal.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
It could just be that GAK have alot of them that they bought in bulk.. or they're a big stre and can afford to sell them at that price
Ibanez SR505
Yamaha RBX 270
Epiphone G400
Ashdown MAG C410T
VOX AD100VT
Digitech BP200
Because alot of music stores are either ripoffs or they can't compete with the big dealers. The music store i bought my first electric from had it marked $200 more than musicians friend. I got them to price match musicians friend though.
Quote by GBMan
It's about as loud as a pidgeon being crushed by a chair.

Guitars:
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Stratocustic
Austin Flametop Deluxe
Regal Acoustic

Amps:
Vox AD50VT
Peavey Rage 158
Gak is cheap. Simple as.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Nope, internet stores are just cheaper in general. It's just whether your happy to buy a guitar without playing that exact guitar. I prefer to buy locally, but have used GAK many times, i didn't really have any option when the guitar i was buying was twice as much locally
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

Epiphone, fender etc offer big discounts to shops that buy in large quantities. So their prices can be a lot less than small music shops, and is particularly noticable on the lower end guitars because they buy so many of them. Plus it's an internet store.

Music123.com is the worst temptation to move to the states ever. A guitar that costs £500 here will probably cost $450 on that site, it's ridiculous!
I work in a music shop and isotone got it spot on!

The big internet shops get offered huge discounts compared to smaller shops, as the big shops have a greater turnover of companies like marshall, fender and gibson...

Plus, most online shops are usually a warehouse, so they don't have to pay so much for overheads.

We have seen with some smaller internet stores that they actually buy in rejects and factory seconds, because they know that the chances are, you won't send it back.

All you have to remember when buying from the internet is that you don't get the same aftermarket service as with shops

Lewis
Quote by Rankles
Gak is cheap. Simple as.

yeah. if they're selling 150 billion a day (exaggeration, possibly) while your local shop is selling 2 a month, gak can afford to take less profit per item. Plus, they're selling on the net, so have less overheads.

Though, the one problem with buying on the net is that you can't try it- you could try a good example in your local store, but get sent a lemon by gak (or you could very easily be sent an excellent example by gak). But the risk (however slight) is there.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you get a lemon they are pretty good at GAK at replacing, my friend did and they sent the new one with the courier that came to pick up the lemon. Another thing is that if they don't have the exact colour or spec available they might send another one, another friend got a maple fretboard instead of rosewood, but it was easily changed.
none of my local stores price match! this is the problem!

they simply wont have any of it, instead they stick to the £400 tag for a standard strat
A good guitarist is one who questions himself, is critical of his abilities and is modest towards other peoples abilities and techniques.

Anyone els is from America.
That's because they probably buy the guitars in for £350 a piece, so cannot drop as low as £280. So you have to ask yourself, is the service you get from being able to go into a shop and buy there worth £120, because if you pay £280 it gets delivered to your home. I know what I would pick.
Last edited by isotone at Mar 3, 2007,
GAK is cheap because it has very little overheads. It's an online store, they don't offer the same prices instore. But yes, that's the Mexican Standard. Also, your local store is a bit pricy, MiM Strats should be about £350 on these shores.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Dunn
none of my local stores price match! this is the problem!

they simply wont have any of it, instead they stick to the £400 tag for a standard strat

they might if they know that you're being serious. A lot of shops think people won't chance the internet, and are just using the net price to get them to sell for lower.

But if you are willing to go internet, you have nothing to lose.

Go in and say something like, "I'd rather buy from you, as I can try the one I'm buying, but I still don't believe that's worth an extra 30% of the price. If you can get close (say, £300, or £320), I'll buy from you"

(since you'd have to add postage to GAK too, remember).

If they don't at least try, then just walk out and say, "well, GAK it is, then."
A lot of these shops, especially in smaller places, don't seem to realise that the 'net is here to stay...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
they might if they know that you're being serious. A lot of shops think people won't chance the internet, and are just using the net price to get them to sell for lower.

But if you are willing to go internet, you have nothing to lose.

Go in and say something like, "I'd rather buy from you, as I can try the one I'm buying, but I still don't believe that's worth an extra 30% of the price. If you can get close (say, £300, or £320), I'll buy from you"

(since you'd have to add postage to GAK too, remember).

If they don't at least try, then just walk out and say, "well, GAK it is, then."
A lot of these shops, especially in smaller places, don't seem to realise that the 'net is here to stay...

This is definitely the way to do it. My PGM was going for £800 at my local shop which is actually a pretty decent price. But GAK had it for £640 so using that as a basis to haggle, I got it for £700. It's worth noting that after buying that, I can get discounts on things alot easier now.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
^ I know, that's what I did on my Valve junior. I'd seen it on the net for about £90, the local shop had it for £120. I told them the net price, and they met me half-way (£105) as they knew I was serious about buying. After adding in postage (which to Northern Ireland is always more than the mainland UK, ) I think I paid something like £5 more than the net price, which isn't much when it means if anything does go wrong, I can just take it back. Plus, I had it there and then, and didn't have to wait in for it to arrive.

Obviously, if the local shop had been selling it for like £200, that'd have been different. But it was close enough, IMO- plus, I've done my bit to keep them in business, if I ever need any guitar supplies in a hurry, which the internet is no good for.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?