so i just got some schaller straplocks and they are awesome... i got one on but the other one the screw hole is too big... so i saw the toothpick method where you put a toothpick in the hole with glue... my question is... does anybody have any comments on this method... is it good/bad? and why?
My friend used the toothpick & superglue method on his Les Paul. Worked wonderfully.
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
I don't like to use glue because glue breaks free.

Also, the toothpick trick is only for stripped out holes. So if your hole isn't stripped (you're just trying to make it smaller) then I wouldn't advise it. If that is the case you simply need to go buy a small metal washer that will fit under the screw head in the straplock...
You should put wood glue in the hole and stuff it with toothpicks, not just one. Just be sure.
It's used successfully often enough. However, I've seen luthiers that drill out a hole and insert a short piece of hardwood and then screw into that. With this method, you have far less chance of the pin ever pulling out. I would lean toward the latter.

Regards,

Rob
^^ 2 above, i agree. use a hardwood dowel, Not toothpicks.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
what's the deal with all this glue stuff?

You guys realize that if you're gluing it in you might as well just use a hardwood dowel?

The toothpicks work fine on their own as long as you make sure you have enough of them to get a firm grip on the screw. You don't need glue to hold them in there because the screw will be applying pressure to the toothpicks outward and sandwiching them between itself and the guitar, which is why the Toothpicks work, it gives the screw something to bite.

No glue or anything needed. That's just messy.

Also, if you DO fill the hole up completely (or almost completely) you need to drill a pilot hole before you use another screw to avoid splitting the wood and cracking the finish, which can happen.
Quote by ririzarry
It's used successfully often enough. However, I've seen luthiers that drill out a hole and insert a short piece of hardwood and then screw into that. With this method, you have far less chance of the pin ever pulling out. I would lean toward the latter.

Regards,

Rob

Yes, this works very well. Drill out the hole to a select size and glue in a wood dowel. once the glue has dried cut off the excess dowel with a razor knife and you have new wood to screw into. If done correctly it will hold every bit as solid as the original hole in the guitar body.
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
I have done construction/remodel work for 7 years and I use that method everytime a screw becomes stripped. Works well.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
Wood glue and a couple broken toothpick words amazingly.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way