Poll: What pickup (humbucker) should i get?
Poll Options
View poll results: What pickup (humbucker) should i get?
SH-4
9 26%
SH-6
13 37%
Other
13 37%
Voters: 35.
Ok im getting a new pcikup for my guitar, i have a choice of two really. Although any suggestions within the price range would be great too. Roughly £50-70 max. I want a humbucker with versatility for blues to crunch to classic rock. My two main options i looked at were Seymour Duncan SH4 (JB) and the SH-6. Basically SH series. So what you recommend? Or any other suggestions for my wanted tone. Thanks.
Member of the 'Dr.Cox is my Mentor' group

Quote by Miggy01
I was kicking a balloon around, and kicked the back of my other foot.
I broke my toe as a result.
I have a JB and hate it. It's very one dimensional and far too trebly.

If you're on that side of the pond, you should be looking at Swinesheads instead of SDs.

Far cheaper and better (IMO) sounding.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
+1 for Swinesheads seeing as though you're in the UK and all. They are awesome sounding pickups and hand wound to order in the UK.
Dude. Classic rock = Pearly Gates. P-90's are great too. If you're wanting to be versitile, Go for the Pearly Gates. My charvel has one in the bridge, And I can pull some SQUEALS!
+1 for swineshead if you're on any kind of a budget.

also, what guitar is it for, and what's your amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's a Valve Junior, Said so on the website.
Blessed be he who sat on the bee, For he shall rise again!
^ where did it say that?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i would recommend a Gibson Burstbucker Pro.
i mean hey blues crunch to classic rock? what else...?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^ the fact that it's about £110 over here. and that swineys at £45 are better.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Ol'boy Rivers
It's a Valve Junior, Said so on the website.

Sorry, That was a screw up on my part. IGNORE THIS!
Blessed be he who sat on the bee, For he shall rise again!
Duncan Custom or Pearly Gates...and SH I think stands for Seymour Humbucker, whatever it stands for pretty much all their humbuckers are SH! Outside of Duncan, Swineshead Warthog.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Ol'boy Rivers
Sorry, That was a screw up on my part. IGNORE THIS!

haha, no problem.

anyway, i think we need to know your amp, threadstarter.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What kind of swineshead is most versatile? Or which do you recommend i buy?
< Amp is fender FM212R 100W
< Guitar is squire showmaster
< pickup i need because i just need the improved sound until i get a new guitar later this year.

Quote by Miggy01
Quote by _Tenacious_
< pickup i need because i just need the improved sound until i get a new guitar later this year.

Don't waste your money, wait till you get a new amp. Seriously, the amp is the biggest part of your sound, a new pickup won't make it sound much better.
Quote by Qazxs
I was so glad when my cat got spayed. Everytime I was near her she meowed and bent over wanting me to stick it in her. Really gross.
i used to have that same fender amp. better than a lot of tube amps, but the pickup change probably wouldnt change much either way.
-Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410
-Tons of other bass/guitar gear

FAST MELODIC PUNK! CHECK OUT MY BAND!
therowleyestate.bandcamp.com
The amp is shocking, get a new one and worry about pickups later.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by _Tenacious_

probably runaway or warthog. though, for classic rock and lighter (which is what you seem to want), i'd say runaway. Warthog is the all-out most versatile, but it's a little hot for classic rock. bear in mind, I haven't tried the runaway... but based on the models I have tried, I see no reason to doubt that it's good.

also, +1 on the people saying you'd need to change your amp sooner or later (preferably sooner).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've been doing research, LOTS of it. I finally decided on putting an SH-2 in the neck of my epi lp, and an SH-6 in the bridge. The SH-6 sounds like a nice choice to me.
the sh6 is the distortion, right? for blues, crunch and classic rock?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well in MY situation I would have an SH-2 in the neck, which would make it more versatile. I guess if hes only gonna get one then the SH-6 could be a little much. I don't have any experience with anything else, so don't know what to tell you.
Aww man my amp sucks? Ok i hope i get a bit back on it from ebay. So now i guess after this pickup its a new amp. Good amps for £200-ish anyone?

Quote by Miggy01
Quote by _Tenacious_
Aww man my amp sucks? Ok i hope i get a bit back on it from ebay. So now i guess after this pickup its a new amp. Good amps for £200-ish anyone?

Seriously, as others have mentioned use the money you have now and put it towards a new setup. Forget the pups until you do.
Quote by metrobunny08
Well in MY situation I would have an SH-2 in the neck, which would make it more versatile. I guess if hes only gonna get one then the SH-6 could be a little much. I don't have any experience with anything else, so don't know what to tell you.

yeah... my concern with the jazz is that it'll only really do clean... plus, for classic rock, you don't really need (nor want) a distortion-type pickup, generally.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?