Page 1 of 2
I know, it's very risky, you don't know what you'll get, it could be terrible, although it could be great, and I simply cannot try out the amplifier I want, and for my price range (400 quid), it's pretty much the best I can get according to reviews I've read.

http://soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=5681

I've heard some sound clips of the combo version, thanks to steven seagull (major props to you man!) and considering this is a half-stack, I can only imagine the sound would project better, no?

So in my position, where trying out amps is very difficult (incredibly hard to find places that stock decent tube amps), would you go for this amp on an (educated) assumption?
Funny words.
Go to harmony central; read ALL the reviews (might be a few hundred), then rethink.
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
I know, it's very risky, you don't know what you'll get, it could be terrible, although it could be great, and I simply cannot try out the amplifier I want, and for my price range (400 quid), it's pretty much the best I can get according to reviews I've read.

http://soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=5681

I've heard some sound clips of the combo version, thanks to steven seagull (major props to you man!) and considering this is a half-stack, I can only imagine the sound would project better, no?

So in my position, where trying out amps is very difficult (incredibly hard to find places that stock decent tube amps), would you go for this amp on an (educated) assumption?

I dunno about the amp, but if you go for it definitely get ti form there... I got my guitar from there and it arrived the next day
Quote by mr_hankey
Go to harmony central; read ALL the reviews (might be a few hundred), then rethink.

Harmony Central is what I've based most of my decision on
Funny words.
Travel to a shop that stocks it and try it.

Buying without trying is stupid.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
^+1

I definately agree

I've learnt my lesson from when I did that

and the bad thing is, the fact that you bought it online, if you don't like it you can't simply return it

you really need to give it a good test drive before you buy it
^ I honestly wish I could, but finding a place that has this amp in store has yeilded no luck at all.
Funny words.
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
^ I honestly wish I could, but finding a place that has this amp in store has yeilded no luck at all.

Travel further. I don't know where Huddersfield is, but there has to be a big city somewhere in the vicinity.
Quote by mr_hankey
Travel further. I don't know where Huddersfield is, but there has to be a big city somewhere in the vicinity.

Even so the FA amps aren't really in plentiful supply
Funny words.
I think it's fine buying without trying if you know you can get your money back on something should you not like it. I got my TSL on an online clearance and couldn't try it but they were going for more 2nd hand that what I paid new so I figured I had nothing to lose.
Don't be so lazy, they can be found.

At least you don't have to travel to a different country to try the amp (I'm going to have to go to Germany, or England or something to try a Cornford).
Quote by mr_hankey
Don't be so lazy, they can be found.

At least you don't have to travel to a different country to try the amp (I'm going to have to go to Germany, or England or something to try a Cornford).

Well no, it's at least a 6 hour journey there and back to the only place I can find that stocks it, and I have no way to get there, so I'm not being lazy, I'm being realistic.
Funny words.
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
Well no, it's at least a 6 hour journey there and back to the only place I can find that stocks it, and I have no way to get there, so I'm not being lazy, I'm being realistic.

could you not take the train or anything?

I know it'll be a bit of a hassle, I just really think you'll be glad you did in the long run.

When it comes to guitars, amps and pedals, it's always best to try first.

and especially spending that much money on an amp to find you don't like it...
Quote by matt bickerton
could you not take the train or anything?

I know it'll be a bit of a hassle, I just really think you'll be glad you did in the long run.

When it comes to guitars, amps and pedals, it's always best to try first.

and especially spending that much money on an amp to find you don't like it...

I know what you're saying but it just doesn't seem like an option at the moment, but if I could, I'd be down there in a shot.

Is there a website that I can find where they sell these exact amps in store? I've tried the Ashdown website but I do believe the Fallen Angel is one of there lesser known models and so most results for the Ashdown site are related to their bass amps.
Funny words.
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
I know what you're saying but it just doesn't seem like an option at the moment, but if I could, I'd be down there in a shot.

Is there a website that I can find where they sell these exact amps in store? I've tried the Ashdown website but I do believe the Fallen Angel is one of there lesser known models and so most results for the Ashdown site are related to their bass amps.

If I'm not mistaken, Ashdown no longer makes guitar amps. Hayden makes the Fallen Angels now, I believe, which is still owned by Ashdown anyway.
Here
^Yeah, that's is why I want the Ashdown one, the reason it's so cheap is because of Hayden, and they only limited availability, another reason why they're so hard to find. But Essentially they're the same amp I think, just a different name.
Funny words.
Quote by matt bickerton
^+1

I definately agree

I've learnt my lesson from when I did that

and the bad thing is, the fact that you bought it online, if you don't like it you can't simply return it

you really need to give it a good test drive before you buy it

?

distance selling regulations.

though, granted, you'd be out a lot of postage. maybe like £100.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
lol I bought my ENGL from a random guy on the internet without even trying one.

Me + Powerball = Match made in heaven. Love at first sight, etc.

yeah, my engl was awesome and i bought it without trying. Though, I'd tried a few of their other models. Also, being an idiot, I think I got a better model than if I'd tried it first.

of course, I don't get on as much with my kramer, which was also from the 'net.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
?

distance selling regulations.

though, granted, you'd be out a lot of postage. maybe like £100.

Actually I was surprised, the postage is like, £20.
Funny words.
^ yeah, but double that if you didn't like it.

i guess, is it worth it to try it if it costs you £40?

you have 7 working days to send it back, far as I know.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
don't even think of buying something without trying. i'm a bit disapointed now with my guitar. When i bought it, it seemed perfect. Everyone on harmony central said wonders about it. The guitar is not bad at all. But i think that mine is not well built. The bridge is not very well placed so that when i play the minor E string, the string slides out of the fretwire. I need to be carefull when playng that string on the lower frets. It was much better if i bought a jackson or something else. The action of my guitar is not very good to play very fast. I was stupid. I just wanted to have a cool guitar. You must try your amp before buying. Try other amps instead of that. You might find a good alternative amp to that.

Pray that never changes

I personally wouldn't buy an amp without hearing it, but this is a bit of an odd situation - Ashdown have rebranded their guitar amps and as such want retailers to clear their old Fallen Angel stock. This means their hard to find and liable to disappear fairly shortly. One thing I can say with a degree of certainty is that at £400 the Fallen Angel is streets ahead of any other half-stack in that price range and probably the only one worth buying. The combo is great, and a damnsight more versatile than the marketing would have you beilieve. The voicing leans on the darker side, so you won't get Fender-like sparkly cleans, and the distortion at it's most extreme level is more old-school metal than nu-metal. There's also not as much gain as you'd think, but we guitarists aren't exactly short of options when it comes to finding more again. I've done blues gigs with it and it's great at it.

When I bought my combo I tried several amps out in the shop and even when it was £500 it stood out from everything else in a similar price range. I like warmth and character and it had more of that than anything else I tried that day (all in the £300-£500 price bracket). The DSL401 was nice but the Fallen Angel sounded that little bit different...as well as looking cool! I still think it was worth the £475 I paid for it despite the combos being as low as £330 now, the half-stack at £400 is an incredibly good deal.

One thing that's definite is that it'll be a major improvement ofer the 35watt Carlsboro!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by superbadboy2
don't even think of buying something without trying. i'm a bit disapointed now with my guitar. When i bought it, it seemed perfect. Everyone on harmony central said wonders about it. The guitar is not bad at all. But i think that mine is not well built. The bridge is not very well placed so that when i play the minor E string, the string slides out of the fretwire. I need to be carefull when playng that string on the lower frets. It was much better if i bought a jackson or something else. The action of my guitar is not very good to play very fast. I was stupid. I just wanted to have a cool guitar. You must try your amp before buying. Try other amps instead of that. You might find a good alternative amp to that.

It sounds like your guitar could benefit from a bit of time on the bench to get adjusted.

but you're (kinda) right about trying before you buy.

I definitely wouldn't fly blind into a situation; however, if you have some clips of it (amp-wise) and opinions from people you trust it could be reasonable to buy it without trying it out first.
I too got a buy without try sting. there are NO music shops which stock even marshall combos near me. I got a dsl401 half stack delivered but it wasnt great but felt obliged to take it because the guy drove 50 miles. i now want a 5150 so have to sell it locally.

ps ashdowns suck
Thats one of the biggest problems. Most guitars and amps are impossible to find and try unless you live near a giant instrument store with every guitars and amps with the possibility to try.
The amp's a great value. If that's your budget, you're very unlikely to do any better. Especially new.

Quote by Dave_Mc
is it worth it to try it if it costs you £40?

you have 7 working days to send it back, far as I know.

As long as they have a reasonable return policy, it's probably worth a try given your circumstances. My guess is that you'll be happy to hold onto it once it arrives. It's certainly best to try before you buy, but sometimes you gotta take a chance.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by steven seagull
Pray that never changes

Quote by xxgenocide98xx
but you're (kinda) right about trying before you buy.

I definitely wouldn't fly blind into a situation; however, if you have some clips of it (amp-wise) and opinions from people you trust it could be reasonable to buy it without trying it out first.

yeah. I mean, sometimes you just don't live anywhere near where good guitar shops are. If your local shop only has marshall mg's, but you have enough for an engl/diezel etc., any of those will be better, pretty much. Obviously without being able to try you might not get the one that suits you exactly, but you should still get a lot of improvement, as steven seagull says. I know I bought my decimator without trying (since nowhere in ireland, far as I know, had them in stock), based on recommendations from people I trusted, and that worked out well. And that was after buying the boss ns2 for the other reason- that I could get to try it, and not the decimator.

Also, in the EU, there are distance selling regulations. If you buy something over the net/phone/mail order that you haven't tried, you have up to 7 working days (something like that) to send it back for a full refund, as long as it's in original condition. You'd be out postage both ways, though; however, if you do live far away, this would still probably be cheaper than travelling to try them out.

Basically, it all depends on your personal circumstances, something which some people on here don't often consider or even realise. It's all too easy to say categorically

"Don't try before buying! Ever!"

if you live in downtown New York City, Tokyo or London, where you have loads of good guitar shops close by. The people who have to consider buying without trying, by and large, would be in the shops trying out stuff so fast it's not even funny if they were in a similar situation, but unfortunately, they aren't. With a little research and common sense buying something which you haven't tried, while no-one is pretending it's as good as hands-on experience, can still be far from a stab in the dark that's relying solely on luck to be what you want.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Take a 40 mins/hour drive to Manchester.
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by R_H_C_P
Take a 40 mins/hour drive to Manchester.

What's the best music shop in Manchester?
Funny words.
OOo, there's lots of good ones, what exactly are you looking for?

If it's boutique pedals your after, Sounds great music (Heald Green)
Guitars and amps, Sound Control and Dawsons(not as good as sound control)
And there's Johnny Roadhouse which has a random selection, and a few vintage amps and guitars.
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by R_H_C_P
OOo, there's lots of good ones, what exactly are you looking for?

If it's boutique pedals your after, Sounds great music (Heald Green)
Guitars and amps, Sound Control and Dawsons(not as good as sound control)
And there's Johnny Roadhouse which has a random selection, and a few vintage amps and guitars.

Looking for an amp, although what is the stock like in their Sound Control? Last time I went to a sound control was in leeds and all they seemed to have were amps either over £800 or MG's and Spider's
Funny words.
Their amp selection changes quite often, but now there's some decent valve Marshalls, a load of Oranges, a few Mesas and Fenders and Peaveys aswell.
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by R_H_C_P
Their amp selection changes quite often, but now there's some decent valve Marshalls, a load of Oranges, a few Mesas and Fenders and Peaveys aswell.

Any decent tube amps at around £400-£450?
Funny words.
What sound are you looking for?

And yea there should be, Fenders, cheaper valve Marshalls, Orange Tiny Terror, Vox (AC30 or AC15) etc
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by R_H_C_P
What sound are you looking for?

And yea there should be, Fenders, cheaper valve Marshalls, Orange Tiny Terror, Vox (AC30 or AC15) etc

Mid to High Gain Hard rock/metal, nothing too over the top, I still want to be able to hear some note definition, something along the lines of GnR/early Metallica
Funny words.
Last edited by I_Am_Iron_Man at Mar 4, 2007,
Quote by superbadboy2

You just need a setup.
^^ peavey windsor (find a cheap-ish 2x12 cab to make do with until you can save up), maybe second hand jcm800?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^Or wait for this .
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
Page 1 of 2