i stirpped the paint off with a wallpaper scraper which i think is about 12 bucks at home depot it took my like 2 hours or so i think but then you WILL need to sand it to get the remenents off and getting it ready for painting if you decide to piant it
What kind of finish is on your guitar? Any finish can be sanded off, but some kinds will take much longer.
yea its possible. i did it with my les paul. itll take alot of work but i did it and it turned out fine. to get the paint off i used 40 grit and then i used 180 and to make everything smooth. i used 500 to finish. i did mine by hand so idk about useing a power tool. im still painting my guitar i just need a new neck bcuz i broke mine. good luck!
main set up:
epiphone les paul custom in progress(emg 81 in bridge)
epiphone slasher fx (dimarzio d sonic bridge)
conklin gt-7 7 string guitar(stock pickups)
Peavey supreme head
crate cab
yeh
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
Quote by Death_by_picks
i stirpped the paint off with a wallpaper scraper which i think is about 12 bucks at home depot it took my like 2 hours or so i think but then you WILL need to sand it to get the remenents off and getting it ready for painting if you decide to piant it

im actually doing a material finish
Quote by aguynamedlarry
just a cheap sunburst stratocaster fake

I'm talking about finish type. Polyurethane, polyester, nitro, shellac, latex paint...you get the idea.
STRIPPIMG GUITARS?! WHERE?! Oh... I was about to say, because the first time i saw the Jackson RR5 at GC i had and immediate erection. I can only imagine it with out the paint...
METALLICA
MACHINE HEAD

JANUARY 13TH

JOE LOUIS ARENA

Quote by Jehuty
It's not rape if you yell surprise.

Quote by ZanasCross
Girls his dad's age rarely still have nice asses. Gravity attacks.
If it's polyurethane, you're pretty much ****ed. Polyurethane is the most bullet proof finish known to man*. You can sand through it, but it'll take many many hours; unless you have a belt sander.

*take with grain of salt
I've stripped poly finishes pneumatic disk sanders. Start with really low grit paper like 60 and it will rip the finish off in chunks. Then you can switch to 80 grit, then 180. That will get you ready to decide what finish you want to use and start prep work. Some finishes don't need much better than 220 grit but most need the wood to be sanded with 400 grit or better before applying finish.

It's by far the best choice to use a chemical stripper. You will save time and money.
Not taking any online orders.