Hi all,

Last year i bought a second hand Epi Les Paul Standard for a really cheap price. This way mainly because the seller needed to money to pay of a small debt, and the shop where i have my lessons from baught it from him for £200 (that must be about $130 or thereabouts) In my opinion, a great bargain!

However, the guitar does have a few minor issues that i feel need to be fixed to make it look like a new Epi LP, and to make the guitar my own my customising it. Basically, i'll run you down the list starting from the headstock:

-I've never liked the stock tuning pegs on the Epi/Gibson standards. This is a preference thing, but i love the look of the ones that come with the customs.
-The top nut looks very old and worn (ie gone quite dark and dirty looking from the cream colour it should be)
-The strap buttons look ok, but may also be old and may need replacing as they dont really cost alot.
-The toggle switch has also lost its colour and look
-The Rhythm/Treble text has been completly worn away.
-ALL of the screws that are in place are black, making it look really old!
-The tone/volume controls seem fine, but im not sure if i want to change the colour of them to something different.
-The input jackplate is also a cream colour and doesnt look at all cool with the wood.
-There was never a scratchplate. :/

Thats the fundamentals away. The colour as far as i know is just the standard heratige cherry. Im basically looking to make the guitar look a bit newer and more presentable, so that for just over £200 it looks and sounds brand new.

Here are two pics of it at the moment:

Im thinking going all black as it will look pretty cool, but i cant find anywhere that sells the black pickup holders. I'm looking at the moment on this website as it is in the UK and is pretty close to me. http://www.guitarbitz.com

Does silver look ok with black hardware? I cant afford to replace my bridge etc even though it could probibly do with it at this moment, so im just a little worried about colour schemes.

If anyone can recommend (if you get pics even better) some standard les paul cherry sunburst ideas it would be great.

Thanks alot. Nathan
"Only the dead have seen the end of the war..."
I think it's pretty sexy the way it is, but needs gold hardware. The pickup rings are fine. IMO, go for the gold hardware, and save the finish the way it is.

http://www.guitarfetish.com is a great place to look, but it's USA. find something similar to this site.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.

Bigsby.

[/thread]

I think it looks great the way it is, and from the truss rod cover I'd say you nabbed a pre 2000, so it's all mahogany like mine

If you go to a luthier they can order pretty much anything you need, and you won't have to pay shipping, you just may have to wait a few weeks.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Ew at the bigsby..

Um I say just leave it? If it isn't broken why fix it? If you wanna change it I say get some new pickups and locking tuners. Apart from that everything else should be fine.

Guitars aren't meant to look new. They're meant to be played.

(..And sometimes burned after you play the set of the century..)
Quote by TheDev01dOne
Ew at the bigsby..

Um I say just leave it? If it isn't broken why fix it? If you wanna change it I say get some new pickups and locking tuners. Apart from that everything else should be fine.

Guitars aren't meant to look new. They're meant to be played.

(..And sometimes burned after you play the set of the century..)

*slaps upside the head...*

...*But then appologizes considering he's getting an orange amp*.

Definatley check out the bigsby!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I suppose since you got it so cheap it doesn't matter what you do to it. (Or it would be like that for me anyway) So the bigsby is an option.. Just not a very sexy one.

After being inspired by the BFG I played today (Which ****ing rocked..) You should put in an awesome killswitch like the one on them. The P90 in the neck sounded SEXY too. And the raw neck was great. I love raw necks.
Quote by TheDev01dOne
I suppose since you got it so cheap it doesn't matter what you do to it. (Or it would be like that for me anyway) So the bigsby is an option.. Just not a very sexy one.

After being inspired by the BFG I played today (Which ****ing rocked..) You should put in an awesome killswitch like the one on them. The P90 in the neck sounded SEXY too. And the raw neck was great. I love raw necks.

I don't get how you can hate on the bigsby...

Anyone who's ever seen my guitar absolutely loves it and tells me how sexy it is.

I've never liked the stock tuning pegs on the Epi/Gibson standards. This is a preference thing, but i love the look of the ones that come with the customs.

TS, maybe some locking tuners? Mine was upgraded from those crappy Kluson copies (as if Klusons aren't bad enough, they're not even genuine!) to some grovers, which are nice, but locking tuners make everything so much nicer. I do agree that the custom ones look nice, but they keep tune just as badly as the vintage green ones.

-The top nut looks very old and worn (ie gone quite dark and dirty looking from the cream colour it should be)

.... I'm really failing to see how this is an issue, I prefer my guitars to look played rather than right out of the box, but you could get a new nut (since that one is definitely plastic and not bone), I would recommend a graph tech or brass one, they don't cost much more and are worth it.

-The strap buttons look ok, but may also be old and may need replacing as they dont really cost alot.

Dimarzio Cliplocks. Get them, and you'll never look back, everyone from Steve Vai to Fall Out Boy uses them, and everyone that has them agrees they are amazingly comfortable.

-The toggle switch has also lost its colour and look

Again, replace it if you want...

-The Rhythm/Treble text has been completly worn away.

-ALL of the screws that are in place are black, making it look really old!

1950's les pauls go for over $100,000!!!

-The tone/volume controls seem fine, but im not sure if i want to change the colour of them to something different.

Yeah, I was never a fan of tophats on a sunburst, how about the gold insert kind?

-The input jackplate is also a cream colour and doesnt look at all cool with the wood.

A plastic input jack? Scary, I'd get a metal one.

-There was never a scratchplate. :/

They aren't really functional on LP's, most people take them off, kindof like the tremolo plates on the back of stratocasters...

Well, hopefully I've done enough advertising for one day I don't think black hardware is a good idea unless it is a custom and also has the black binding, it'll look really odd.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~

Black hardware just looks cheap.
Get some Grover tuners, and leave the rest (perhaps replace the switch ring though).
What hamish5178 said. Since most of what you said are cosmetic changes, other than upgrading the tuners, I say go to town!

BTW, UK £200 = US $392, not sure if that's cheap for the UK. For reference, Guitar Center is having a sale and an Epi LP Classic is going for $450 (£230).

Have fun with your new guitar!