Ok, so I'm looking to build a rack amp now that I have some money. I first need a preamp and a poweramp, so I'd like some suggestions. I'm not looking for a freakin Rocktron Prophesy II here, but I do want something that's worht spending money on. The most I want to spend on the Preamp is about 500. That leaves me with 2 to 300 left over for the power amp. Please give me some suggestions.

MY PLAYING STYLE:

Death metal
Thrash
Grind
Metalcore

My band sounds like... At The Gates, All Shall Perish, Black Dahlia Murder, Beyond The Embrace, Chimaira, Unearth, and that sorta thing.

Please help.
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
Check out some of the modded ADA MP1s or a used version of the Marshall one.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
i cant think of many pre amps or poweramps in your range. in fact, none at all. mesa boogie are the first names that come to mind. you could probably get one off ebay for that price. you probably wont be so lucky with the poweramp. btw, why the hell do you want one lol. just curious. alot of people dont really recognize why they are actually used......

and if youre not thinking all tube then just stop right now.

Adam
Quote by ollie_12318
my grandma is dying and my mum wants me to play something on bass for her, any body got any suggestions?!

Quote by splinter26
another one bites the dust has a pretty cool bass line
meh. actually maybe i was a little off. i checked em out on ebay real quick, you will be able to, with luck, get those off ebay. maybe plan to spend a little more on the power amp and less on the preamp though.

but still why?

Adam
Quote by ollie_12318
my grandma is dying and my mum wants me to play something on bass for her, any body got any suggestions?!

Quote by splinter26
Last edited by adammarshall409 at Mar 2, 2007,
UPDATE: I went and bought a poweramp from Guitar Center (not my choice of places but I got 30 days to change my mind). It's a Crown XLS 202 ($314 after tax). For what I'd be using it for, it'd be 600w. WAYYY more than enough for me. Also, unless I find a nice rack preamp, I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna use my GearBox software thru my Toneport UX2 for the tone. I don't necessarily like the pre-amps they have on there, but I can surely get a decent sound with the proper EQ-ing.

STILL... someone convince me otherwise that a rack preamp is good enough to buy and I'll check into it. Thanks.
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
try the MetalTabs.com gear forum.. you will get a lot more responses on this there
Originally posted by Geetarbumb
I think your screwed ! You should quit guitar and take up the skin flute!
ENGL 530, I think the model is.

Maybe a ADA MP-1 (with the 3TM?), Rocktron Piranha, or Marshall JMP-1.
STOP!!!!!

That power amp is NOT gonna work for you, if your using it in a guitar setup. Crown pwr amps are mostly for PA systems and sound reinforcement, not guitar half or full stack rigs. You'll probably end up frying your cabs or the amp on your first foray into crankdom. You need to get a poweramp specifically designed for guitar setups, not PA setups. I have been running a rack-based amp setup for years, and have learned this lesson the hard way when I switched over to a rack system.

Take that Crown back....then bitchslap the GC FNG who sold it to you.....then look up either a Tubeworks or maybe luck out with a Mesa on Ebay. The TubeWorks I have is a stereo 250w beast that knocks pictures off the walls of my bedroom that is on the complete OPPOSITE side of the house from where my studio is.

As far as preamps, ADA MP-1, Marshall JMP-1, if you can luck into a Mesa Triaxis on Ebay you'd definately be right where you're lookin' at tone-wise. I'll probably get flamed for sayin' this, but the newer Line 6 PODxt Pro units don't really sound half bad, with some careful tweaking and a BBE thrown into it's loop, you might be suprised. It's not a Mesa or Engl, but it's not a total piece of junk either.

oh ya.....I'd dump the Digitec RP80 and go with a rackmount effect unit that is effects ONLY......no distortion or tone controls (preamp into preamp = buzzy, tinny, no-punch fizz). With a new rack amp setup, that RP80 won't do your 7 any justice. (I play 7's also)

More info here.....
Last edited by 7chaosphere7 at Mar 5, 2007,
Quote by 7chaosphere7
STOP!!!!!

That power amp is NOT gonna work for you, if your using it in a guitar setup. Crown pwr amps are mostly for PA systems and sound reinforcement, not guitar half or full stack rigs. You'll probably end up frying your cabs or the amp on your first foray into crankdom. You need to get a poweramp specifically designed for guitar setups, not PA setups. I have been running a rack-based amp setup for years, and have learned this lesson the hard way when I switched over to a rack system.

Take that Crown back....then bitchslap the GC FNG who sold it to you.....then look up either a Tubeworks or maybe luck out with a Mesa on Ebay. The TubeWorks I have is a stereo 250w beast that knocks pictures off the walls of my bedroom that is on the complete OPPOSITE side of the house from where my studio is.

As far as preamps, ADA MP-1, Marshall JMP-1, if you can luck into a Mesa Triaxis on Ebay you'd definately be right where you're lookin' at tone-wise. I'll probably get flamed for sayin' this, but the newer Line 6 PODxt Pro units don't really sound half bad, with some careful tweaking and a BBE thrown into it's loop, you might be suprised. It's not a Mesa or Engl, but it's not a total piece of junk either.

oh ya.....I'd dump the Digitec RP80 and go with a rackmount effect unit that is effects ONLY......no distortion or tone controls (preamp into preamp = buzzy, tinny, no-punch fizz). With a new rack amp setup, that RP80 won't do your 7 any justice. (I play 7's also)

More info here.....

ya man sounds like you got screwed. i was going to say i hope your not thinking of picking up some couple 100 hundred dollar SOLIDSTATE power amp but i didnt want to insult your intelligence lol.

they pretty much dont make rack guitar amp components that arent all tube. this sounds like a very un thought out plan youve got here.

you still havent justified why the hell you think you should do this. do you know why the big guns use rack setups?

because every night theyre in a different place. theyre a lot more road worthy. another reason is some guys like to use combos of different pre amps and different poweramps. when you have enough money to even be considering SWITCHING POWERAMPS just for a tone in one song, then maybe you should start thinking of a rack set up.

dont try to do this to be cool and just to have a rack setup while all your friends have GOOD SOUNDNING regular amps.

Adam
Quote by ollie_12318

Quote by splinter26
Quote by adammarshall409

......... theyre a lot more road worthy. another reason is some guys like to use combos of different pre amps and different poweramps. when you have enough money to even be considering SWITCHING POWERAMPS just for a tone in one song, then maybe you should start thinking of a rack set up.
Adam

I've never had any need for multiple power amps in one rig. John Petrucci might, but not me, and I'm pretty sure just one pwr amp will work for Easterbass' needs too.

Quote by adammarshall409

dont try to do this to be cool and just to have a rack setup while all your friends have GOOD SOUNDNING regular amps.

My rack setup is by far the easiest, most versatile rig I've ever had, and it sounds WAY better than my buddy's Dual Recto. I'm not saying that my rig is better than Mesa amps, but I'm a serious tone junkie and I've taken the time to dial in the right tone for my 7 string, if Easterbass takes the time and effort to seriously tweak the pre/pwr amp setup, he'll find the right tone for his 7, too.
im sure he can find a good tone, once he returns that amp he just bought. im just saying it might be alot more work than he needs to go to just so he can brag about a rack setup. your amp may sound better to you than the mesa but just as many people would say the mesa sounds better. but youre right, they are versatile. and they dont make alot of rack crap, so its harded to find a bad one.

Adam
Quote by ollie_12318

Quote by splinter26
None of this is for ego or any shit like that. My guitarist uses a rack setup and it really does have a pretty versatile sound to it. I was thinking of buying the preamp/processor out his rig too (Digitech GS200 or something like that?). I like the distortion models on it even thought it's pretty old ('92).

From what i've seen with guitarists, there are those that swear by equipment and fight to the death on this issue of racks vs. heads, but it's just what i've seen that a rack amp is more customizable and therefore I can get any sound out of it I want (i have the patience to tweak it for hours on end if I know I can get the sound I want). I no longer use the RP80 by the way, I never really liked it and ended up using it merely for the cheap sound gate and chorus models it had on it.

I spent a while looking into the Crown versus this and that and to be honest a power amp's a power amp man. It has nothing to do with tone, it just pushes. Plus, to drive down to return that to guitar center (50 miles) is nearly outta the question. I really hate dealing with them now. I'm looking to buy Mesa Black Shadow speakers for my cab so that it can actually handle some power. So, my idea for my rig is this right now:

Rack:
Digitech GS-whatever preamp/processor
Crown XLS 202 power amp
BBE (forget the model) sonic maximizer

Cab:
Peavey (forget the model..i'm hungover lay off o' me lol) 400w handling
4 - Mesa Black Shadow 12" speakers (200w a piece)

Guitar:
Shecter Diamond Elite 007

Pedals:
Dime wah
and maybe a chorus pedal in their too
Quote by Briyan_15

Quote by omegasus
Quote by Nor'Easterbass

to be honest a power amp's a power amp man. It has nothing to do with tone, it just pushes.

oh boy youre in for a hell of a surprise.

THIS IS NOT TRUE.

sorry man. wrong wrong wrong.

take a 3 thousand dollar mesa and play it at bedroom volumes and you might as well be using a marshall mg. power tubes are where its at man. THAT TONE, you know, the one youre looking for, the wall of sound, the legned tone youve heard on or has been inspired by records you buy, is all tube. do you honestly think that for example, the "marshall" tone comes from cranking up the gain knob? no. it comes from power tube saturation. deny it all you want. when you hear it, you'll know.

Adam
Quote by ollie_12318

Quote by splinter26