SAD.... Seasonal Affective Disorder.... Anyone here have this? how do you treat it?

I don't know if its common enough to get that many responses I'm just curious.

EDIT: a link for those of you who don't know what it is

http://www.sada.org.uk/
Last edited by Mistress_Ibanez at Mar 2, 2007,
Hang out with friends and get a bf (i'm asuming ur a girl cuz of ur thing says fangirl)
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
I'm rather craving Summer.

Winter is making me kind of depressed, well events in winter, as well as the general effects of the weather on one's personality.
I did something like that in psychology and the treatments but I can't remember the treatment for it. I think it may be something to do with a lack of melotonin production in your body (melotonin is created by light and inhibits "happiness"). You should try expose yourself to as much light as possible.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Im depressed, i didnt know it had a name....
Quote by Tehzekester
1. Find a hot chick's myspace.
2. Get lotion.
3. Look at pr0nz.
4. ???
5. PROFIT!

Quote by Sid McCall
so I said: "those aren't the couch cushions, those are my testicles!"

Add Me
My mom has it and it's hard to watch somedays. It sucks when it's someone that close to you and you can't do anything about it. Her mom had it and now she has it, i just hope i never get it.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
Quote by evening_crow
Hang out with friends and get a bf (i'm asuming ur a girl cuz of ur thing says fangirl)

I have both these things. I know how I treat it i wanted to know how other people did. There are loads of ways to treat it.
I'm not sure what it is. I know that I'm sick of winter and just sick of the cold wet weather altogether. I miss summer too. I wish it was summer forever.

I think that's what you mean
Quote by Harmonius
I did something like that in psychology and the treatments but I can't remember the treatment for it. I think it may be something to do with a lack of melotonin production in your body (melotonin is created by light and inhibits "happiness"). You should try expose yourself to as much light as possible.

is melotonin the same as melatonin? or is melatonin something else? just curious.
Oh btw, it's Seasonal Affective Disorder (not depression).
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

I get late depressed late at night cause the water's too cold to go fishin
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
Quote by wokketywok
is melotonin the same as melatonin? or is melatonin something else? just curious.

Double post, sorry for the typo mistake. It's been ages since I did psychology for A-Level. It is, in fact melatonin.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

wait it out... listen to some of th eheaviest music u can get ur hands on and if u dont have a girlfriend... go get one
IF YOU WANT PEACE PREPARE FOR WAR!!

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
eh? all the leaflets ive got say depression on them. Perhaps theyre outdated? I'll edit it anyway. And I have to decide between prozac and a little box of light that will make my.... whatever harmonius said... levels go back up.

And it is horrible, like jekyll and hyde, also knowing you have no reason to be depressed but not being able to snap out of it sucks.
Quote by Harmonius
Double post, sorry for the typo mistake. It's been ages since I did psychology for A-Level. It is, in fact melatonin.

ah okay. ty.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
eh? all the leaflets ive got say depression on them. Perhaps theyre outdated? I'll edit it anyway. And I have to decide between prozac and a little box of light that will make my.... whatever harmonius said... levels go back up.

And it is horrible, like jekyll and hyde, also knowing you have no reason to be depressed but not being able to snap out of it sucks.

mmm. I'm pretty sure it is disorder. But it isn't depression per say. It's just a Biological Rhythm. Other rhythms are the menstruation cycles (both male and female), sleeping patterns etc.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

^^ but impractical.

Putting little sunshine lights everywhere FTW

And the depression is the main problem of it, the other symptoms like eating loads of carbohydrates are pretty bearable. Not just depression but the people without depression woulnd't see it as much of an issue I would imagine
If I would be depressed by winter I would've alredy killed myself probably.. You see I live in the more northern part of Sweden, we got snow from like the last week of October to sometimes even April!

Actually I'm more easily bummed out on summers.. I wonder why..?
My father has it pretty bad, and it can be hard to live with. It's not strictly depression, but it's very close to it, only it's depression for about three months of the year. Since we need sunlight to survive, the change of light hits some people harder than others and so they get SAD. There's medication for it, which my father doesn't take because he doesn't want to, but it's generally advised to keep as much light as possible nearby, and to get outside a lot.
It can be pretty serious though, more than winter blues or whatever. People get suicidal, severely depressed and all sorts. It runs in families, or mine at least, I know my fathers side of the family has got history of it. Though luckily neither me nor my brother seem to have been affected by it.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
^^^ Sometimes you don't notice it until you get to about 20.

has he used light boxes? I havent tried that yet so don't know the effectiveness but they seem a better alternative to drugs.
He hasn't tried them, because he's not in denial as such, he doesn't like making it obvious. But he's tried therapy, getting out and all that. Didn't work too well.

-Matthew Arnold

I think you can get little ones that you can like clip onto a computer screen and just have in the background... I'm a bit skeptical about them though. I can see where he's coming from though.
Quote by Harmonius
Oh btw, it's Seasonal Affective Disorder (not depression).

The common name for it (and the name I learned in psychology class) is "winter depression"
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
The common name for it (and the name I learned in psychology class) is "winter depression"

LOL. We never learnt that in my class. I'm guessing you did Biological Rhythms for A level too?
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

I don't know if this counts but I hate summer and I become quite irritable.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I think you can get little ones that you can like clip onto a computer screen and just have in the background... I'm a bit skeptical about them though. I can see where he's coming from though.

I'll buy him some lamps and stick them in his office then. I'll pretend I like the sight and see if it helps
>.>
<.<

I've a feeling medication would work well, though addiction is a problem =/

-Matthew Arnold

I lived in Alaska, where it is a fairly wide spread problem because of the severely shortened days during Winter, which lasts like 6 months. It's called Seasonal Affective Disorder, and they had commercials on TV for it all the time. My brothers girlfriend has it and she uses artificial sunlight light bulbs (or something like that) and it seems to work pretty well for her. She gets them at Lowes or Home Depot or something.
"Let me tell you something about Rebels, Obi-Wayne. They want you to come get them, they LOVE it."
Quote by Harmonius
LOL. We never learnt that in my class. I'm guessing you did Biological Rhythms for A level too?

Yeah something like that, and some biology-related stuff for B-level. My teacher for A-level was kinda iffy, but I think it said winter depression in our text book too. Oh well
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I sometimes feel something like that, but hey why post about that now. Isn't the cold season past =D? I dunno really, I can usually cheer people up

and for the fishin thing, that sounds cool I don't know why ..

Oh and for the sig, never heard that one, but I prefer the GLCees!!!
Quote by Pharoah
Can God create a hot dog so hot even he couldn't eat it?

Lyke omg D@ @p0OcpLpSYe.