i cant decide on which. I took lessons about 6 years ago and want to get back into it and i am wanting to spend about 400 dollars. found an american strat at a local pawn for 495. just would like to know which i would like better. i like to play rock and roll heavy and classic. any help would be appreciated.
definately the american strat at that price...between and standard strat and epi however, id take the epi, i have one and its a beauty.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul St.
Peavy Classic VTX 200w
dunlop crybaby wah
boss metal zone distortion
Yeah snatch up the Strat for the kind of money. Epi LP's are great but you won't find a Strat anywhere else for that price.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
Yeah Epi les pauls are good guitars and can compare with a standard strat. However if you can get an American strat in full working condition go for it. You got a great guitar and amazing deal, just make sure to play the strat and check it's overall condtion, look at the neck and electronics.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Grab that strat. If you play it and find you don't like it, sell it for more than you bought it for and see if you can get an Epi custom LP.
if i had a dollar everytime this question has came up on UG (epi lp, or strat) i'd be rich lol

i perfer les pauls, but thats just my style. Depends on what you like best.
Strat, because it's an absolute steal. Strats are GREAAAT.
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
thanks guys i appreciate the feedback. the strat is in pretty good condition just a couple minor scrapes sounded in tune! unusual for a pawn shop yeah it was 495 with a hard case. but i to like the look of a les paul. i was thinking about the goth lp but i have heard nasty things about it. i bought a fender acoustic the other day but it just isnt cuttin it. its hard to play most rock and roll on an acoustic. another local pawn shop had a gibson les paul for 395 i believe but some pretty good wear and i couldnt tell the year model. is there any difference in the goth and the custom sound wise? i have heard that the epi's go out of tune easily.
Go for the strat. Probably best price you'll ever be able to land one for.

My epi lp stays in tune after string stretching. I don' t know where you heard that. I love it, I can play the hell out of it for a 2 hour jam session and only have to tune a string or two to get back in.
Strat guitars are great for tradiional bar chords and lick style leads that involve alot of bending. However, the action is generally high and the fretboard is slow. It all depends on your style of play. Try musicstorefront.com, they have great s-style strat guitars for $90 including shipping, gig bag, strap and strings. You can't even touch that price from guitar center or sam ash. Good luck!
Quote by agencyaudio
Strat guitars are great for tradiional bar chords and lick style leads that involve alot of bending. However, the action is generally high and the fretboard is slow.

I would respectfully disagree on that particular point, action can be set to taste and there's this Swedish chap that seems to be able to play fairly fast using a Strat.

I agree with everyone else, the Strat is the best value and most likely a better guitar. Keep in mind though, most Strats have single-coil pickups, which have a thinner sound than the Epi's humbuckers. Not necessarily a worse sound but with less low-end. Shouldn't be a problem unless you're wanting to play heavier music.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Watch out for pawnshops; they'll sell you Chinese fake strats. $500 bucks for an Americn Strat sounds low for a greedy, moneygrubbing, s-hole like most pawnshops.

Check that serial number online or call Fender just to be sure. And if you play heavy, single coils in he bridge, suck. I own a nice strat w/ Vintage Noiseless Pickups and it's gotta go. It's too temperamental. I need to play, not worry about adjusting saddles,,etc. Epi's have come a long way and are a better product. I can't play on huge frets and wide necks so I'm looking at an ESP x-tone.
Quote by shav0r
Swedish chap=Yngwie Malmsteen

Swedish chap>Yngwie Malmsteen
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
i dont hate him, hes a good shredder, but i prefer Kris's playing somehow, cos its more fusion than just shred.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
this pawn shop is very nice for a pawn shop i mean the sign outside is digital and scrolls like a bank. lol at night it looks like a titty bar with the neons around it.it is a true ameri strat. but i really like the lp when you say high action do you mean the strings are farther away from the fretboard? not real good at this guitar lingo. its like ebonics to me know what im throwin down DAWG
Agreed with the guy who said to call Fender and ask if the serial number is legit.
Sent from my iPad.