Lately i have been considering switching from guitar to bass. I have been playing alot of basses at shops and i really dig them, and i have been listening to alot of jaco and jeff ament (pearl jam) and really enjoying what they do on a fretless bass. I am quite good at guitar, but i really prefer and always have preferred the sound of a bass. I have played alot of basses and have been considering trading in everything in my guitar rig and investing in some good bass stuff. I could probably get around $900 for everything in my guitar rig. Another reason i have been considering changing, is because everybody at my school and there cousin/grandma play guitar, and its hard to find people too jam with.

What do you think i should do?
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

If you wanna play bass... Play the damn bass.

Keep at least one guitar so you could write some guitar parts to show who you are jamming with your made up parts
well i play guitar and bass, play both

although after a year, i do prefer bass
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
If you truely love the instrument and dont just do it to be spceial then welcome aboard.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Well i plan on keeping my strat and downsizing my amp, and investing the rest of the cash into the bass equipment
Gear:

Peavey Classic 50

Welcome to the dark side muahahah.

Anyway, if you learnt lots of theory and stuff for your guitar you should be able to apply most if not all of that to bass.

In terms of a good bass, i am a big fan of MIM Fenders, always a good guitar, will last you quite a while and a jazz bass is very versitile. If you like metal then an Ibanez is probably more to your liking, unfortunatly I have no experience there.

Amp wise, look for 2nd hand stuff. Apart from MIM fenders I also love Trace Elliot amps. If you can get your hands on one you won't be disapointed.
I am really digging the fretless stuff and i am obsessed with Jaco's and Jeff aments fretless tones. I think they both use Acoustic 360s and J basses, so any recommendations on what i should get. Besides that stuff i usually play blues and jazz.
Gear:

Peavey Classic 50

K, i will look into some mim jazz's. How about for amps? I will have about $400-500 to spend.
Gear:

Peavey Classic 50

There ae 3 things you need to consider with amp buying...

1) Tone - will its range of tones suit your playing style and what you like to play?
2) Use - For gigging with a band you'd probably be looking at something within the 200-300 watt region, you could go higher if you wanted though. Heavy touring something more substancial but the prices will be too high for this catergory.
3) Practicality - Can you haul a big stack around with you? Do you have necercary transport, would a combo be better?

Just take those things into consideration, it sounds like you got a lot of experience with guitar gear though. It's basically the same principles.
hmmm..

How loud would 150 bass watts be. Also is there a big difference in speaker size for bass? I know there are slight differences in guitar speakers, but what about bass?

Still open for suggestions.
Gear:

Peavey Classic 50

That's how I got my start! I tried being guitar/bass, but then I just switched completely and never looked back. For $900, you want an entire setup, or just an axe?

Speaker size makes a huge difference for bass. 10" speakers are the tightest and punchiest. 15" speakers are much lower and have a very 'behind the beat' quality. 18 speakers are like 15's in steroids, but are a bit unresponsive to treble. 12's come somewhere in between 10's and 15's, but have more things in common with a 10. A lot of people love to mix and match speaker sizes. A very common setup is to have one cabinet of 4x10 while another with 1x15. However, an 8x10 cabinet and 2x15 cabinets exist, but the 2x15 isn't nearly as popular as an 8x10.

Oh, and by the way, Acoustics aren't made anymore. The 360, however, is a backfiring 18 inch cab with a folded horn (most 18's don't come with horns nowadays, they're meant as woofers as opposed to stand alone cabs). The amp section is a 200W tube amp with both bass and guitar channels (something that amp manufacturers no longer really make). John Paul Jones also used an Acoustic 360.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Mar 3, 2007,
If you're spending $400-$500 on an amp, I would go with an Ashdown MAG. It's 180 watts with one cab, 300 if you get an extension cab (although you probably wouldn't be able to afford the extension at this point).

If you want to go for the head/cab option, you can bump up to the 600 watt head (doesn't come as a combo AFAIK). However, going the head/cab route will probably put you in the $600 range (more if you go for the 600 watts).
^ 600 watts is an awful lot. I would like something i could take from my bedroom to my garage to a gig with ease, but i would like a head/cab. So i was thinking maybe a 2x12 cab (either a gallien-grueger on muscians friend or something used on ebay), an maybe something around 150-200 watts for the head. I am in north dakota and gigs for blues/grunge/jazz really dont get too big.

thefitz: for $900 i was planning on using to get the entire setup, but then i remember i have around $450 in paypal so i have around $1350

and does anybody know how the Acoustic 220 compares with the 360 head? I know with the 220 i will be losing the fuzz and will be getting less watts. But how do they compare in sound.
Gear:

Peavey Classic 50

Perfect, I'd say invest the $900 in some sort of US Fender or Warwick, while leaving the $450 for a ~250W bass combo; something like an Ashdown.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by joshane2000
If you wanna play bass... Play the damn bass.

Keep at least one guitar so you could write some guitar parts to show who you are jamming with your made up parts

Yeah, get an acoustic guitar and a bass
I got a Fender Squier Bass and it sounds great
I just need to change the strings lol.. 2 years with the same ****ing strings
They sound like crap

And I enjoy also playing acoustic guitar since it sounds really cool
OK I decided what i will probably go with: (not final)

Amp:
Ashdown MAG C115-300- $400

Bass:
A used Fender U.S. Jazz somebody is selling locally- $650

A Squire Vintage modified Fretless (because i want a fretless)- $280

Misc.
Maybe a MXR EQ pedal
Gear:

Peavey Classic 50

Quote by SublimeGuitar
OK I decided what i will probably go with: (not final)

Amp:
Ashdown MAG C115-300- $400

Bass:
A used Fender U.S. Jazz somebody is selling locally- $650

A Squire Vintage modified Fretless (because i want a fretless)- $280

Misc.
Maybe a MXR EQ pedal

i hate it when people who dont play bass have a better rig than you just because they're rich
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
ha ha, thats a great set up, is super cheap deal on the american jazz bass. i play both bass and guitar but i prefer bass, it sounds so much better and cool riffs on bass just pwn everything. i just hate the way everyone assumes im talentless when i say i play bass