I'm a long shot from being a beginner guitarist, however I am having a hell of alot of trouble trying to learn Little Wing (or any Jimi song for that matter). I am really unfamiliar with his playing style. I'm at the point in my playing where I can see a tab, listen to the song, and basically play it once through almost perfect but not with Little Wing. Does anybody have some advise or some key concepts I should know before tackling this song again?
Geniuses are like poets, they speak in metaphors.
-Fly
download/use powertab. thats how i did it. you can slow it down if you need to that way.
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP
I LOVE, I LOVE, I LOVE... KILLER WHALES! AND I LOVE MANGOS! AND IGGY POP TOO! I LOVE IGGY POP! AND EVEN GETTING UP EARLY IN THE MORNING, AND SWIMMING! AND TAKING A GOOOOOD SH*T! AND I LOVE ALL OF YOU TOO!

Little Wing is odd, you really do have to get into a bit of a Hendrix mindset to play it...make sure you're relaxed and laid back to the point of falling over, you'll be amazed at how much it helps. Also, don't worry about the tabs too much, in that it's one of those songs where the sounds you make are more important than how you made them.

Listen to the song closely and identify which sections of the tab relate to which bits of the song and study them in isolation, working out the best way for your hands play them...it might have to be a bit different due to both Hendrix and SRV having hands the size of Giant Bird Eating Spiders. But most importantly, get into the groove of the song and don't worry too much about accuracy, it's a really loose feeling piece and arguably a lot of the notes you'll see in the tab are almost accidental - there's lots of doublestop riffs and triads but if you miss the odd string or hit the odd extra one it doesn't really matter as long as the song keeps loping along.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
With any Hendrix song like that, play the song half the speed as it is in little sections, then get to regular speed, then piece it up. That's what I do...but to really play a Hendrix song...you must transform into him. =\ Oh well!
if your a beginner. start playing crosstown traffic or manic depression. those are easy hendrix beginner songs. the solo for manic depression however is advanced.
The way I learned it, is just get the basic idea how where to play it and all that, but play it your own way. It'll sound similar but it'll have your own little touch to it... then solo like a wild man after the intro. Use riffs similar to him (such as the D bending to an E for those parts) It's a great song to jam to improvvy.
Little Wing was probably my biggest motivation to start playing guitar, and it was one of the first songs I worked on, before I ever started getting lessons. I learned it by getting the basic idea and playng slowly, not even playing it right, just getting the feel for it. As my fingers adapted to playing guitar it got smoother and I could start playing the right chords and so on. I kept adding as my skill level grew until I could more or less play the album version, but I didn't stop there. I learned tricks he does in other versions too and melded them all together, and now I've got my own little wing with parts taken from different versions and a bit from myself. It took a long time, but it's worth it.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by Schneiderman
Little Wing was probably my biggest motivation to start playing guitar, and it was one of the first songs I worked on, before I ever started getting lessons. I learned it by getting the basic idea and playng slowly, not even playing it right, just getting the feel for it. As my fingers adapted to playing guitar it got smoother and I could start playing the right chords and so on. I kept adding as my skill level grew until I could more or less play the album version, but I didn't stop there. I learned tricks he does in other versions too and melded them all together, and now I've got my own little wing with parts taken from different versions and a bit from myself. It took a long time, but it's worth it.

same here about the different versions part. I play part of the live solo at royal albert hall. One of the greatest solos of all time. it just speaks to me, especially the wah part
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP
I LOVE, I LOVE, I LOVE... KILLER WHALES! AND I LOVE MANGOS! AND IGGY POP TOO! I LOVE IGGY POP! AND EVEN GETTING UP EARLY IN THE MORNING, AND SWIMMING! AND TAKING A GOOOOOD SH*T! AND I LOVE ALL OF YOU TOO!

Quote by steven seagull
Little Wing is odd, you really do have to get into a bit of a Hendrix mindset to play it...

Drop acid?

Seriously, just go SLOWLY. Do not expect to nail Jimi's style overnight. Takes alot of effort to capture the subtle nuances of his playing. Look at the tab, break it up into little sections, and go bit by bit. Stay slow and steady and you will get it down.
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
The trick, like with many U2 songs and RHCP, is to nail down the triplet feel on 4/4 signatures, shifting in and out from quarter-note and eighth-note feel into triplet feel, and, upstoke syncopation.
getting into his style, like most people have been saying, is really the trick to learning jimi's songs.. sure you can read the tab to start, and get it down note for note, but to really make it interesting you have to be in the jimi mood, so to speak.. to the point where you can add your own little twists so youre not like a robot playing the exact same pattern/notes every time you play it.. the key with jimi is understanding the chord progression; his big thing is to make little fills around the basic chords while still playing the progression, if that makes sense. thats what you really have to master to play in the style of hendrix
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
I think with alot of Hendrix songs, it's about spotting patterns in the music. Like Voodoo Chile sounds complex, but it's made up of about 3 main licks and the rest improv around E. Just look for the patterns and learn what key it's in and you can play it then.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay